Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 23 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 296 Old 11-20-2015

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
S&S drew some beautiful boats. If you can't afford Bolero you can get an S&S Apache in fair condition for about 7-10k.
This is my favorite S&S CCA era design. FIDELIO is a sistership to FINESSTERRE, the Carleton Mitchell owned centerboard yawl that won 3 Bermuda races back in the 50's. Another woodie(pre glass days like BOLERO) but these boats are time capsules in boat design. FINESSTERRE inspired several similar designs that are still popular today.

These boats aren't built anymore but many of the design elements(like them or not), live on. This S&S design is near perfect to my eye. Plus this boat is terrific sailer and very competitive in classic boat races.

Faster and seaner97 like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 296 Old 11-20-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Always thought it odd that a good wooden boat looked totally fair to the point you can't tell it's wood, and then some plastic ones intentionally molded in fake 'lines' along the hull to make it look like it was 'wooden'.
killarney_sailor and mitiempo like this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #223 of 296 Old 11-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Always thought it odd that a good wooden boat looked totally fair to the point you can't tell it's wood, and then some plastic ones intentionally molded in fake 'lines' along the hull to make it look like it was 'wooden'.
I picked up some of my ideas from the wooden boat pros in my harbor, on how to treat my- now 54 year old- fiberglass CCA era yawl.

Gel coat is a faint memory on boats of this age(many owners are in denial,...). For some old boats, that will mark a cross road in it's future(or lack of). A professional glass topsides paint job with state of the art coatings is a big investment. In some cases(and these casing are growing), more than the value of the boat. Skilled labor $ is headed to the moon(I'm in the home design/build field and witness the rise daily).

The wooden boats nearby that I've been studying for a couple of decades, have a different way of treating topsides. Even modestly maintained wooden boats get a brush applied coat of paint fairly regularly. That's because a 'coat of paint' is easy and cheap both in cost and time.

The carte blanche woodies I photograph get a more involved 'coat of paint'. There's an ongoing fairing program that simply seals topsides seams and new dings. That takes a bit of time, but it's nothing in $ compared to the typical 'awlgrip' investment of a glass boat that's gelcoat has seen it's last wax job. In fact, I've watched the pros brush(not even roll and tip) apply a finish coat to a 40'er in about 5-6 hours, with a resulting quality, that is simply unbelievable!

So I've picked up the wooden boat topsides treatment for my old glass hull. No, I don't get anywhere near the quality of these wooden boats. But my process of staging, light sanding with an orbital sander, taping-a roll and tip coat of single part enamel, is a relatively easy 2 day system. The actual coating takes about 4 hours(I actually enjoy it painting with a brush) and 2 quarts of paint.

I get 3 years out of the coating. I could improve the result and duration with better prep, better skill and a two part paint. But I will never forget the nightmare of removing the failing awlgrip from my hull 15 years ago(never! but that's a different post altogether).

So while I don't think there is much needed for these old hulls in structure, even 50 years on, I do think 'cosmetics' will send some hulls to the landfill that might be saved by this 'wooden boat' process of painting.

SloopJonB likes this.

Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #224 of 296 Old 11-21-2015
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Even if you win the lottery, you can spend some serious money on CCA rule boats. Sparkman Stevens BOLERO has those lines you mention. Nice sheer, low-super wide decks, small, low cabin house, lovely overhangs, clean lines. A classic boat.

Sure BOLERO is huge but I think the scale of this boat would work at half this length.

I have to say that I have appreciated reading this thread. I am just beginning a refit of my old CCA rule beater. I have found her to be overbuilt like no other I have seen..... For a 47 year old good old boat she still has fantastic bones, and her structural integrity is surprising. She is a fast boat, for her age, and will do 12 knots, but will average 9.5-10 over longer periods of time.

I purchased her for many reasons, but the biggest factors were the build quality, aesthetics, and the space below was what I desired. Sure, I could have gone with a smaller boat with more interior space, but that was not the point for me. I love older designs...the row away factor for me was huge. From the comments I have received just in the last week, many people share my sentiments on her looks.

That said, vive la difference...everyone has their own favorites, and reasons for liking their boats, but for me I will stick with what I have..naysayers aside.

Faster likes this.
post #225 of 296 Old 11-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
I purchased her for many reasons, but the biggest factors were the build quality, aesthetics, and the space below was what I desired. Sure, I could have gone with a smaller boat with more interior space, but that was not the point for me. I love older designs...the row away factor for me was huge.

That is a beautiful boat(Columbia 50?) It certainly is related to BOLERO in design.

I'm with you on the smaller spaces that are part of these older designs. You give up space you could gain with many newer boats (and that's great if space is what you prioritize) but I prefer the dedicated spaces below on many of these old boats. My old boat would be a poor choice for a live aboard boat. I love the difference between a boat and a place I would call home.

Just my personal preference.

Rockport, Maine.

post #226 of 296 Old 11-21-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
I will stick with what I have..naysayers aside.

That must have been a really hard decision for you.

The Col 50 has been one of my faves ever since I got interested in sailboats.

I could probably get by with a Constellation if there were more than 6 or 7 of them built.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #227 of 296 Old 11-21-2015
1968 Columbia 50

I do have to say, like most CCA inspired designs, it is the smallest 50'er I have come across when it comes to interior space. It is a simple boat, but everything can be accessed pretty easily, unlike many others, like the Bristol 40, Columbia 40, or Hinckley Bermuda 40, and a host of other boats.

Worth a refit? That can be very subjective, and brand/model specific, but it's a boat, you rarely ever make money on one. I did have a hard time deciding, I actually walked away the first time, someone else bought it, and they sold it to me six months later(we just got it... and they went broke). I'll let you know if it was worth it. Today, while on the hard, we removed 50+ doors and drawers in a snowstorm for refinishing during the winter months...and right now it's literally 5'oclock, so time for a beverage...
XSrcing likes this.
post #228 of 296 Old 11-21-2015

Quote:
Today, while on the hard, we removed 50+ doors and drawers in a snowstorm for refinishing during the winter months...and right now it's literally 5'oclock, so time for a beverage...
I hope you keep us posted with your refit on this thread, Landcruiser. Like many, my boat is on jack stands over the winter. I always have a few winter projects.

I go to great lengths figuring out how those projects can be removed and performed in a warm shop(like your 50 door and drawer project).

Rockport, Maine.

post #229 of 296 Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Likewise. I measured, cut and fit most of the cabin sole so that it was a faster install. Still ended up with a table and chop saw next to the boat in the spring for a day, but must of it was pre cut and only needed minor trimming to fit.
post #230 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I hope you keep us posted with your refit on this thread, Landcruiser. Like many, my boat is on jack stands over the winter. I always have a few winter projects.

I go to great lengths figuring out how those projects can be removed and performed in a warm shop(like your 50 door and drawer project).
Tom, We just purchased her, so there is everything to do, and I went for the low hanging fruit. The interior is just a mess, as is everything else. I will be pulling off the dorades, wood cockpit locker hatches, and deck hatches as well, and either refinishing, or remaking new ones, as the PO put deck stain on all the exterior brightwork..argh. Once done, new cowl vents as well to replace the cheap old plastic ones. I am lucky to have the shop to work in, I just wish the boat would fit! LOL. I guess in time (years), anything and everything that can be removed and restored over the winter will be.

I might start a new thread for my project if anyone is interested, but will be starting a blog for sure just to chronicle, for my sake at least, the project. Later I will publish into a book, for me to have as a hard copy, something like shutterfly can do.

You have to really love your boat to do something like this. I know a few people who see their boat as a tool and treat it as such, personally I just can't let things be that way. Whether you have an old boat, or a new one, they are works of art, love, and labor, that move, and should be treated as such.

The work is not all indoor fun..sometimes you have to make lemons out of lemonaid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in