Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 24 - SailNet Community
 163Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Administrator
 
Jeff_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Annapolis, Md
Posts: 8,739
Thanks: 33
Thanked 426 Times in 356 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
Tom, We just purchased her, so there is everything to do, and I went for the low hanging fruit. The interior is just a mess, as is everything else. I will be pulling off the dorades, wood cockpit locker hatches, and deck hatches as well, and either refinishing, or remaking new ones, as the PO put deck stain on all the exterior brightwork..argh. Once done, new cowl vents as well to replace the cheap old plastic ones. I am lucky to have the shop to work in, I just wish the boat would fit! LOL. I guess in time (years), anything and everything that can be removed and restored over the winter will be.

I might start a new thread for my project if anyone is interested, but will be starting a blog for sure just to chronicle, for my sake at least, the project. Later I will publish into a book, for me to have as a hard copy, something like shutterfly can do.

You have to really love your boat to do something like this. I know a few people who see their boat as a tool and treat it as such, personally I just can't let things be that way. Whether you have an old boat, or a new one, they are works of art, love, and labor, that move, and should be treated as such.

The work is not all indoor fun..sometimes you have to make lemons out of lemonaid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
I personally would like to encourage you to post as much of your restoration process in your own separate thread as you feel comfortable doing. These threads are useful in kicking around general concepts, but nothing tells a story more than watching the step by step realities that we have been discussing in broad generalities.

I would also comment that your choice of boats to restore is a good illustration of the points that I have tried to make in my comments. While Columbia was not one of the better builders of this era, several of their models were very advanced designs constructed using better building techniques than many of their other models. The Columbia 50 is a good example of this. The 50 was seen as being marketed to a more upscale market than the smaller Columbias. They were an extremely advanced design for their day with more form stability, straighter lines through their run, slightly larger proportion of waterline to deck length, and employed more expensive to build details such as a more robust hull to deck joint than the smaller boats. They sail exceptionally well for a boat of this period.

In my mind, this makes them a better candidate for restoration than something like the Coronado 45 which while actually roomier than the Columbia 50, were no where near as nice a design, nor as well constructed and therefore a poorer choice than the 50 in my mind.

I wish you the best of luck with bringing back this fine design.

Jeff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Jeff_H is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #232 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Just stopped by to say that the hull shape on Bolero is sexy as ****.
XSrcing is offline  
post #233 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Senior Member
 
TomMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 956
Thanks: 6
Thanked 62 Times in 55 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
Just stopped by to say that the hull shape on Bolero is sexy as ****.
Here's a couple more then. I live just up the hill from Rockport Marine and have seen the most beautiful boats in the world launched in the, near two, decades.

While taking photos, I've come to notice how people react to seeing these beautiful boats. Boats are everywhere in a harbor like this, but a few stick out. BOLERO was one of those. I never saw a single person walking by that didn't lock their eyes on the shape of this lovely hull -change their direction - and walk toward her, as if they were hypnotized.

On (re)launch day, she drew a big crowd.



When they lowered the slings, BOLERO settled into the water, perfectly.


Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
TomMaine is online now  
 
post #234 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Senior Member
 
TomMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 956
Thanks: 6
Thanked 62 Times in 55 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

As long as we're in this era and S&S design, here's another favorite of mine. Their Nevins 40 yawls.

The decks of these boats are only a few inches higher than the floating docks.

seaner97 likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
TomMaine is online now  
post #235 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 13,227
Thanks: 91
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Here's a couple more then. I live just up the hill from Rockport Marine and have seen the most beautiful boats in the world launched in the, near two, decades.

While taking photos, I've come to notice how people react to seeing these beautiful boats. Boats are everywhere in a harbor like this, but a few stick out. BOLERO was one of those. I never saw a single person walking by that didn't lock their eyes on the shape of this lovely hull -change their direction - and walk toward her, as if they were hypnotized.

On (re)launch day, she drew a big crowd.



When they lowered the slings, BOLERO settled into the water, perfectly.

Funny how a beautiful, perfectly kept, multi million $ boat will do that
seaner97 and XSrcing like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
post #236 of 296 Old 11-22-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangor, Maine
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 39
Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Funny how a beautiful, perfectly kept, multi million $ boat will do that
I'd point out that there are other multimillion dollar boats around that are well kept, but in a more modern euro design aesthetic. They don't collect a crowd like BOLERO.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
seaner97 is offline  
post #237 of 296 Old 11-22-2015
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 13,227
Thanks: 91
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Here's a descendant of Bolero that I think is every bit as beautiful - just look at that line from the stem into the forefoot and then keel.
Attached Thumbnails
Charisma.jpg  
TomMaine, seaner97 and XSrcing like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
post #238 of 296 Old 11-23-2015
it's a long story
 
turboduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post
Tom, We just purchased her, so there is everything to do, and I went for the low hanging fruit. The interior is just a mess, as is everything else. I will be pulling off the dorades, wood cockpit locker hatches, and deck hatches as well, and either refinishing, or remaking new ones, as the PO put deck stain on all the exterior brightwork..argh. Once done, new cowl vents as well to replace the cheap old plastic ones. I am lucky to have the shop to work in, I just wish the boat would fit! LOL. I guess in time (years), anything and everything that can be removed and restored over the winter will be.

I might start a new thread for my project if anyone is interested, but will be starting a blog for sure just to chronicle, for my sake at least, the project. Later I will publish into a book, for me to have as a hard copy, something like shutterfly can do.

You have to really love your boat to do something like this. I know a few people who see their boat as a tool and treat it as such, personally I just can't let things be that way. Whether you have an old boat, or a new one, they are works of art, love, and labor, that move, and should be treated as such.

The work is not all indoor fun..sometimes you have to make lemons out of lemonaid
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
I mentioned these in an earlier post. Pretty impressive record of a job well-done. These 3 links come from the bluewaterboats.org posting of the Rhodes 41. If you haven't seen them already, they show a complete refit of a Rhodes 41. They might help give you some ideas and inspiration. That Columbia 50 is a beauty and is a boat worth restoring too!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=54dcd7dc0b

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bf016aab90

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c007ac6e98

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37
turboduck is offline  
post #239 of 296 Old 11-23-2015
Senior Member
 
TomMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 956
Thanks: 6
Thanked 62 Times in 55 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboduck View Post
I mentioned these in an earlier post. Pretty impressive record of a job well-done. These 3 links come from the bluewaterboats.org posting of the Rhodes 41. If you haven't seen them already, they show a complete refit of a Rhodes 41. They might help give you some ideas and inspiration. That Columbia 50 is a beauty and is a boat worth restoring too!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=54dcd7dc0b

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=bf016aab90

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c007ac6e98
Those photos are impressive! What a massive project. And unless I missed something, I don't think it involved any major structural repairs to the hull. In my experience, that's what you can expect from a reasonably well built 50 year old fiberglass hull.

In contrast, the wooden boats of this vintage often have had-or now need-structural rebuilding.

But when all is said and done, the rebuild you posted is a major project both in time(massive)and $ investment. And the results as we see in these photos, are well worth it.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
TomMaine is online now  
post #240 of 296 Old 11-23-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangor, Maine
Posts: 1,442
Thanks: 39
Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Land- post here or start your own. All good from my standpoint. I'd find it interesting as you go what upgrades/structural things you fix, and that would play in well with the original discussion. I'm sure you'll put more into the boat than you can then sell her for, but I, personally, think that is a specious argument, as any money you put into any boat is probably going to have negative returns. I bet even BOLERO would have trouble getting 60% out of what her refit cost, nevermind the acquisition price. And we've already established the depreciation curve for the new boats, so you're not getting your money out of them either. So the point is more, how long can they last, and how long will you sail them without wanting to 'move up', not what are they worth when you're done.
Read several articles/links Jeff sent with his outline. One very interesting one was a paper looking at GRP strength/lifespan from the early 80s when they were looking into using it for wind turbine blades. They cut open a hull of a patrol boat from the 60s that was 20 + years old at that point, had just been retired from constant coast guard use and it had lost less than 20% strength. Based on that, and the fact that those boats take way more beating than most sailboats, I'd posit that most sailing boats that are GRP from the early to mid 60s are in early midlife of their possible service. Kinda like me.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Last edited by seaner97; 11-23-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: I wasn't done yet!
seaner97 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Older CCA boats with rounded robust overbuilt booms...added boom vang needed? souljour2000 General Discussion (sailing related) 23 06-11-2016 07:43 PM
CCA - Cold Cranking Amps question The Sailing Podcast Diesel 13 09-23-2012 10:41 PM
CCA / MCA requirement for a Perkins 4/154M? TQA Electrical Systems 2 04-08-2011 07:15 PM
IOR...CCA... help! sherbet Boat Review and Purchase Forum 7 05-22-2006 09:38 PM
Morgan 33 (CCA) ricekrgr General Discussion (sailing related) 0 12-19-2002 09:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome