Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 25 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 296 Old 11-23-2015
al brazzi

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Those photos are impressive! What a massive project. And unless I missed something, I don't think it involved any major structural repairs to the hull. In my experience, that's what you can expect from a reasonably well built 50 year old fiberglass hull.

In contrast, the wooden boats of this vintage often have had-or now need-structural rebuilding.

But when all is said and done, the rebuild you posted is a major project both in time(massive)and $ investment. And the results as we see in these photos, are well worth it.
These are truly beautiful examples. I just realized why I hate(d) gloss finishes, its because if its not done like this why bother. Better off with something that doesn't show the imperfections of old refinished stuff or just the glopping on of shiny varnish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 296 Old 11-23-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
I picked up some of my ideas from the wooden boat pros in my harbor, on how to treat my- now 54 year old- fiberglass CCA era yawl.

Gel coat is a faint memory on boats of this age(many owners are in denial,...). For some old boats, that will mark a cross road in it's future(or lack of). A professional glass topsides paint job with state of the art coatings is a big investment. In some cases(and these casing are growing), more than the value of the boat. Skilled labor $ is headed to the moon(I'm in the home design/build field and witness the rise daily).

The wooden boats nearby that I've been studying for a couple of decades, have a different way of treating topsides. Even modestly maintained wooden boats get a brush applied coat of paint fairly regularly. That's because a 'coat of paint' is easy and cheap both in cost and time.

The carte blanche woodies I photograph get a more involved 'coat of paint'. There's an ongoing fairing program that simply seals topsides seams and new dings. That takes a bit of time, but it's nothing in $ compared to the typical 'awlgrip' investment of a glass boat that's gelcoat has seen it's last wax job. In fact, I've watched the pros brush(not even roll and tip) apply a finish coat to a 40'er in about 5-6 hours, with a resulting quality, that is simply unbelievable!

So I've picked up the wooden boat topsides treatment for my old glass hull. No, I don't get anywhere near the quality of these wooden boats. But my process of staging, light sanding with an orbital sander, taping-a roll and tip coat of single part enamel, is a relatively easy 2 day system. The actual coating takes about 4 hours(I actually enjoy it painting with a brush) and 2 quarts of paint.

I get 3 years out of the coating. I could improve the result and duration with better prep, better skill and a two part paint. But I will never forget the nightmare of removing the failing awlgrip from my hull 15 years ago(never! but that's a different post altogether).

So while I don't think there is much needed for these old hulls in structure, even 50 years on, I do think 'cosmetics' will send some hulls to the landfill that might be saved by this 'wooden boat' process of painting.

Sounds like the process I plan on using this spring. I was watching a Jamestown video and could not help wonder what kind of finish he was going to get on his wooden boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXJxnDKleG0

What paint do you use?

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #243 of 296 Old 11-23-2015
it's a long story

Quote:
Those photos are impressive! What a massive project. And unless I missed something, I don't think it involved any major structural repairs to the hull. In my experience, that's what you can expect from a reasonably well built 50 year old fiberglass hull.

In contrast, the wooden boats of this vintage often have had-or now need-structural rebuilding.

But when all is said and done, the rebuild you posted is a major project both in time(massive)and $ investment. And the results as we see in these photos, are well worth it.
Somewhere in the links there is a note from the builder commenting on how there was no structural repair needed and he commented on how thick the hull was when he pulled out a through-hull. (You won't find 'em built like that anymore.) The boat has been made like new again. How much would it cost to build one of those new? Your Columbia 50 is of a similar vintage and same practice of many hand laid up layers of fiberglass I believe.

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37

post #244 of 296 Old 11-24-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Sounds like the process I plan on using this spring. I was watching a Jamestown video and could not help wonder what kind of finish he was going to get on his wooden boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXJxnDKleG0

What paint do you use?
Great video, I just skimmed it but will watch it when I have more time. I've watched pros like this work and learned a lot more than I could trial and error. He will get an unbelievable finish from just brushing, he has the knack. With the major fairing job over, a seasonal or bi-seasonal top coat is an easy job(for him).

I've been using Petit Easypoxy. It works pretty well but I'd use another one part oil enamel, like Brightside, if it was on the shelf. I can't get the same result as the wooden boat with the ladder photo I posted but the finish I get makes me happy. Truth is, my old glass hull is not that fair and would need lots more work for a perfect surface. For that reason, I've mixed a quart of high gloss with a quart of semi gloss. That is a bit more forgiving and glossy enough for my eye.

Our boat takes a beating with kids and dinghys, raft ups, etc. Not expecting more than a few years out of each coating, I'm not that worried about the abuse.
miatapaul and seaner97 like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #245 of 296 Old 11-24-2015

I've used the Interlux Perfection product and its absolutely fantastic. Stunning results on my 50 year old Vanguard. Very hard to tell it was not sprayed. The prep the first year was a bear, but the results were awesome-and that was Flag blue over a previously white hull with a grey primekote. That was six or seven years ago. I have painted it once since with similar results and the prep is easy after all of the first year prep. In my experience (and with my docking skills) the paint holds up very well. In fact, if not for the occasional scrape, I would not need to repaint. The paint is very durable. It's fussy to thin, but done once it's easy. I actually look forward to repainting-its that easy
TomMaine and seaner97 like this.
post #246 of 296 Old 11-24-2015
it's a long story

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
I've used the Interlux Perfection product and its absolutely fantastic. Stunning results on my 50 year old Vanguard. Very hard to tell it was not sprayed. The prep the first year was a bear, but the results were awesome-and that was Flag blue over a previously white hull with a grey primekote. That was six or seven years ago. I have painted it once since with similar results and the prep is easy after all of the first year prep. In my experience (and with my docking skills) the paint holds up very well. In fact, if not for the occasional scrape, I would not need to repaint. The paint is very durable. It's fussy to thin, but done once it's easy. I actually look forward to repainting-its that easy
Any photos of her? I have been thinking of taking my white Columbia to dark blue also. I know the prep will be the hard part. Mine already has a coat of some kind of less than durable enamel. What did you use to fair and fill the hull?

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37
post #247 of 296 Old 11-24-2015
Senior Moment Member

The best filler I've ever used was a tip given to me by an old German plasterer who owned the local boatyard.

Epoxy thickened with talc - dirt cheap - I bought a cement sack of talc for $20. You can mix it to the consistency you want, it sands beautifully and doesn't even suffer from pinholes unless you over-thicken it.

It even leaves your hands feeling nice.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #248 of 296 Old 11-24-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Wasn't planning on painting the hull this year. You're making me think about it.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #249 of 296 Old 11-24-2015
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
The best filler I've ever used was a tip given to me by an old German plasterer who owned the local boatyard.

Epoxy thickened with talc - dirt cheap - I bought a cement sack of talc for $20. You can mix it to the consistency you want, it sands beautifully and doesn't even suffer from pinholes unless you over-thicken it.

It even leaves your hands feeling nice.
I have heard about using talc, a couple people have used it and highly recommended it, as opposed to the alternatives.

All this talk about painting led me to a pic of a sister boat to mine, that was painted black, and looks gorgeous, and being a northern clime I don't have to worry about the interior getting too hot due to hull color....and I need to repaint everything inside and out anyways.

I will start a new post if anyone is interested in what will be a long term restoration of my C-50...with some as bought pictures to tease ya'll with.
SloopJonB likes this.
post #250 of 296 Old 11-24-2015

Black and Flag Blue IMO are the most attractive colours esp for these kinds of boats with the overhangs and sheerlines. Offset by strongly contrasting cove and boot stripes they are simply stunning (Gold or Red, I think, for the stripes) A deep rich varnish on the wood trim finishes the picture.

There is one downside, however, if on the briny. We have a friend with a very nice Sceptre 43 in deep blue.. he spends a lot of time wiping/washing the salt off after a day on the water. Granted he's a bit anal, but the dried salt does stand out on a dark hull. On the plus side you tend to get rid of it.. on a white hull it's hard to notice.

Our last boat was in Whisper Grey with black striping.. kind of neat because at a distance it looked more or less white, but alongside the other 'bleach bottles' it stood out.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in