Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 28 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 296 Old 07-06-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock
Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Quote:
here are 63 Hinkley Burmuda 40s out there for 145K. They still have 50 year old systems that either have or need to be replaced. Jeff had a second hand experience with one that the tabbing had come loose when it was NEW, so it can't be that that was all that much better. The decks don't have as many issues is the only thing that I think has been reliably documented as being better than a Tartan/Pearson/Bristol/Albin/etc (although that may just be that there are fewer of them, and who is going to admit that their Hinkley had to have it's deck recored?). Does that make it 4-5x the boat? Does it even make it 'superior'? Or does it just make it a boat that resales higher (and is more expensive when YOU buy it as well)?
Well my B-40 is a 1962 and we paid a bit less back in 2000, so maybe this will not be applicable:

I can tell you that my deck is not cored, it has half round tubes glassed in for reinforcement in the foredeck and side walks, and the cabin top is pretty solid layup. You can bounce on the foredeck you thud on the cabin.

All fittings are tapped into the glass, and then backed with washers & nuts .

The deck/hull joint is legendary, 6" flange on hull, and all the bulkheads and joinery are in place before the deck is fitted, epoxy and through bolts, with chain plates extending through to bulkheads. The centerboard has been bent once, and the lifting tackle replaced once when the 50 yr old bronze strap corroded through.

When we installed the interphase scanning sonar they had to counter bore from inside as the layup was thicker than the 4" sonar threaded stem.

The systems were state of art in '62 and have now been obsoleted/replaced multiple times. The custom tapered mast has massive sheaves and external halyards, it gets laughed at by the racers, then again their sticks don't have 50 yrs of service and we had carbon booms from Spruce trees back then, and replaced the main with Alum in 2002. Mizzen still spruce.

The interior joinery is partially converted to Herreshoff finish where the nicks and scars made the varnish too beat up, but the teak and holly sole is going strong.

Tanks for freshwater, shower sump, and reserve fresh water are stainless. Fitted a holding tank this year and gave up the lockers under port V-berth. (all 6 berths have lee boards, there are 4 hanging lockers and the freezer/refrigerator were air and water cooled, not to mention the diesel heater being forced air, the stereo was am/fm/cassette)

She's been repowered 2x, most recently in 1991, and at a few hundred hours a year the westerbeke W46 is going for a long time. Next go-round will possibly be electric with a small genset and LiPolymer batteries, but waiting for that to settle down.
The fuel tank is Monel, and placed under the engine.

We just did a re-spin of the electronics after 15 yrs and have replaced the old filament 12V lights with LEDs.

She was peeled and barrier coated from waterline down in 2000 and has been awlgripped multiple times on topsides and deck.

remaining significant work: Peel/grind deck and cabin to glass, fair and paint.
Re-wire, removing 50 yrs of accumulated dead ends and upgrade power panel to reflect modern use.
Replace 6V golf cart batteries with LiPolymer
Re-power with Electric drive and prop set for generation.
seaner97 and seabeau like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 08-29-2016

Has anybody done any work on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Challenger 38' Yawl named Whisper out of Quissett Harbor? My husband's family had it built in 1961 and he grew up sailing on it. Its original name was Kuwi. For fun we are trying to track it down.
post #273 of 296 Old 09-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
Has anybody done any work on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Challenger 38' Yawl named Whisper out of Quissett Harbor? My husband's family had it built in 1961 and he grew up sailing on it. Its original name was Kuwi. For fun we are trying to track it down.
The last owner was Rick O'Connell and sadly, here's his obituary. He has many posts on the owners website for the Alden boats like the Challengers. He loved WHISPER. I'd be interested in any info may give me about your husbands family having it built. Thanks!

949 - a forum for Alden yachts ? View topic - Rick O'Connell's obit

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

post #274 of 296 Old 10-29-2016 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Very cool. Wish I could find some info on POs on my Pearson.
Off season list for this year is shorter- install saloon table, new dodger and main cover, soda blast and barrier coat for her bottom and a new steering cable. Maybe some new cushions if the budget holds.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #275 of 296 Old 10-29-2016
May God Bless You

auction of boats in Toronto. A Hughes 38 (with incorrect specs heh heh) named SV Sturm Vogel to be auctioned off. Probably will go for the minimum $25. Who can rescue it?
jon
post #276 of 296 Old 10-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
auction of boats in Toronto. A Hughes 38 (with incorrect specs heh heh) named SV Sturm Vogel to be auctioned off. Probably will go for the minimum $25. Who can rescue it?
jon
I can't rescue it but someone might if you posted where to find out about the boat
post #277 of 296 Old 10-30-2016
May God Bless You

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...id-danbur10019

Lot # 37

teak decks, mast up, a4 engine, dark green, frame for winter cover, interior in reasonable shape

jon

edit: 475 Unwin Avenue
Toronto
ON
M4M 3M2
Canada

Last edited by longjonsilver; 10-30-2016 at 09:16 AM.
post #278 of 296 Old 11-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Off season list for this year is shorter- install saloon table, new dodger and main cover, soda blast and barrier coat for her bottom and a new steering cable. Maybe some new cushions if the budget holds.
My off season list is shorter this year, too. The cockpit I built the winter before has been given a good test for a season. I'm very pleased with the results. It's going gray.

One project I'll do this off season is move the mainsheet. I've researched the move, inspected a ton of old boats - mostly CCA era - and even did a few mock-ups to try different arrangement. I've settled that there is no perfect mainsheet arrangement.

The one I have now (as designed 61') works. But I'm tired of several problems with it. A lot has to do with how one sails.

This is basically what I'll do. But my boat budget won't allow a control line traveler or a self tailing winch(maybe later). I'll re-use the cabin top 2 speed winch - keep the old traveler - and cleat the mainsheet.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Last edited by TomMaine; 11-03-2016 at 04:31 PM.
post #279 of 296 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
My off season list is shorter this year, too. The cockpit I built the winter before has been given a good test for a season. I'm very pleased with the results. It's going gray.

One project I'll do this off season is move the mainsheet. I've researched the move, inspected a ton of old boats - mostly CCA era - and even did a few mock-ups to try different arrangement. I've settled that there is no perfect mainsheet arrangement.

The one I have now (as designed 61') works. But I'm tired of several problems with it. A lot has to do with how one sails.

This is basically what I'll do. But my boat budget won't allow a control line traveler or a self tailing winch(maybe later). I'll re-use the cabin top 2 speed winch - keep the old traveler - and cleat the mainsheet.

Whole bunch of Barlow winches on eBay that Hutton will convert to self tailing and fully refurb for 1/4 price of new.
post #280 of 296 Old 01-06-2017 Thread Starter

Well- Soda Blast and barrier coat turned into a bigger grind and fair job than anticipated as some PO yahoo had just rolled resin on instead of the barrier coat that we thought was there. But at least it's getting done right. Some of the other 'upgrades' are going to get put off as this ate into the budget for them.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in