Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 29 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 296 Old 06-14-2017 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Well- she's back in the water. Shots of the salon table and interior. Definitely not done, but getting closer to it.
Attached Thumbnails
trailerboat.jpg   salontable.jpg   boatwater2017.jpg   interior2017.jpg  
Jeff_H, Faster and TomMaine like this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 296 Old 06-14-2017
Senior Moment Member

Looking good.
seaner97 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #283 of 296 Old 06-14-2017 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Thanks. As it went through the process of stripping the fiberglass down because of the prior poor bottom job, I was impressed with the lack of major osmotic damage. There were some minor blisters and cracks, but all were easily ground out and filled and faired. The bottom and hull were otherwise quite solid. My personal experience is that these old boats seem to be able to take a bit of a licking and neglect and are still quite solid.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

post #284 of 296 Old 06-16-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Well- she's back in the water. Shots of the salon table and interior. Definitely not done, but getting closer to it.
Like the floor, the little bit of color mix is quite attractive.
seaner97 likes this.
post #285 of 296 Old 06-16-2017

Nice work!

Except for a new exhaust (which was a success!), this was mostly a 'lipstick' year for my 56 year old classic plastic.

There was a little rotted wood surgery(there's always some of that,..)

Then there was a lot of painting, which my daughter gave me a hand with:

My son has a good eye, so he lines up the stars on Xmas: Here in 2002-

And just a couple weeks ago, in 2017(note the new exhaust outlet):

The dog always helps. Last winter we built a couple of replacement dorade boxes with Lexan tops (adds dead lights below).

It all came together - patching and painting - as it always does when you have good help.

This is our storage. Working on your boat outside on the coast of Maine, is challenging. Between rainstorms, we got the paint and varnish on.

olson34, Faster, seaner97 and 1 others like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #286 of 296 Old 06-16-2017

Looking awesome, Tom!

Your crew too!
TomMaine and seaner97 like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #287 of 296 Old 06-16-2017

I must comment....that's a fine looking boat!!....good to see your kids are right into it,helping out,can't put a price on what that is worth to all involved.....Ralph
Jeff_H, TomMaine and seaner97 like this.

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #288 of 296 Old 06-16-2017
Administrator

Tom, I want to echo what was said about how wonderful it is that your children are involved. My Dad and I worked on the boats together from the time when I was a pre-teen. We built a friendship, and ease in talking with each other, and a trust that has lasted our entire lifetime. Dad is now 90 and I am in my mid-60s, but I still think our relationship was strengthened by the times we shared when I was a kid. It is a wonderful thing that you are doing and you should be very proud of yourself, your daughter, and your son (and I assume your wife).

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #289 of 296 Old 06-16-2017
May God Bless You

Great lookin boat, Tom. My wife and i were in Rockport last weekend in April. We had a wonderful time. We loved the area in spite of doing a brake job in the rain. We are going back next year, and hopefully soon in our plastic classic after that!
blessings
jon
post #290 of 296 Old 06-17-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Tom, I want to echo what was said about how wonderful it is that your children are involved. My Dad and I worked on the boats together from the time when I was a pre-teen. We built a friendship, and ease in talking with each other, and a trust that has lasted our entire lifetime. Dad is now 90 and I am in my mid-60s, but I still think our relationship was strengthened by the times we shared when I was a kid. It is a wonderful thing that you are doing and you should be very proud of yourself, your daughter, and your son (and I assume your wife).

Jeff
Thanks, Jeff. Boats and sailing are a part of our family. Both our children are very capable thanks to them always having an interest.

My daughter who now lives in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan took the week off to visit. She wanted to help me with boat work, as well. Attaching hand rails and dorade boxes - with me below and she above - was a breeze. We rolled and tipped our 38'er in 2 1/2 hours(prep was significantly more).

Our son, as well as some of his friends, own a few older (60's era) glass boats that are free these days. They have to do everything themselves to save money.

Our family had a hoot building a mast crane so we can step their masts for free from the public landing. Testing the crane in the driveway:

It worked the trick on our sons boat. He helped a friend with a similar old boat, blast out rotted deck core re-set leaking stantions, pulpits. I didn't get involved (all my tools did,...) They even stepped that mast with the crane, alone. When I pointed out his friends outboard was angled 20 degrees out of square to the waterline, he quickly built a stout new mount of wood - adding angle with a cleat - and bolted it through the old mount, in a couple hours. I was impressed(and told him so).

Whenever I read a typical millennial rant; kids glued to their devices, I think to myself, it's true. But they're doing everything we did, and texting a friend at the same time.
Faster and seaner97 like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in