Refurbishing CCA boats - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 296 Old 09-03-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

It seems there are more good old boats the farther Downeast you get. To me they sure are prettier than a mooring field full of cats. Not that there's anything wrong with cats
seaner97 likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 296 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It seems there are more good old boats the farther Downeast you get. To me they sure are prettier than a mooring field full of cats. Not that there's anything wrong with cats
I think it's probably due to the short season- not as much wear on the boats, so not as likely to go looking for the newest and greatest. Also, Mainers tend to be frugal and appreciate the aesthetics more, both of which lend themselves toward good old boats.
smurphny likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #83 of 296 Old 09-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Looked a little into that Helmsmann, and it has the characteristic full midships and more pinched ends of the IOR designs as well, so maybe not, although it got here from Germany somehow...
I think way too much is often made of the supposed liabilities of the "pinched ends" that were characteristic of the IOR era... That Helmsman looks pretty sweet to my eye, the problem with that boat for me would be her tumblehome, which is a real PITA in a cruising boat - at least if you care what the boat's topsides look like after awhile... :-)

Pretty much everyone concedes that one of the all-time legendary offshore voyaging yachts in that size range is the S&S 34, but many seem to forget how 'extreme' her pinched ends are...

Hell, after 9 circumnavigations, Jon Sanders still favors a hull shape that appears no less 'extreme' than that Helmsman...

;-)

post #84 of 296 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

C'mon Jon, at least a little credit for picking her out. The IOR influence with the pinched ends is overdone, just like the CCA short water line hobbyhorse thing. There is truth in there that gets overblown. But as someone is fond of pointing out the boat takes a backseat to the sailor at some point.
post #85 of 296 Old 09-04-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
I think it's probably due to the short season- not as much wear on the boats, so not as likely to go looking for the newest and greatest. Also, Mainers tend to be frugal and appreciate the aesthetics more, both of which lend themselves toward good old boats.
Yes, and the SUN down south is very hard on everything as I've discovered. Up on Champlain, the boat got covered for many months every year and freeze-dried in place for a long time.:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #86 of 296 Old 09-04-2015

Quote:
The ones that get rowed or motored around by people on their way to or from their boats? The old, pretty ones.
This is so true.

When I was looking for my first boat, I came across an Oday Tempest. If you've never seen one, the Tempest is a Philip Rhodes-designed 23 footer. A fin keel and separate rudder, but above the waterline, a very traditional looking boat. Moderate but distinct overhangs. Very small cabin and a huge cockpit. In short, a boat that looks very much like a modern "throwback" daysailer (like an Alerion or Morris M series boat), but can be had for a song.

Anyway, I show the boat to my wife (who by the way is an interior designer and appreciates good design), and she is less than thrilled. "It looks like Popeye's boat" is her reaction. "Yes!" I scream, "It's a classic look!" I love the boat, but this particular boat is a gawd-awful mess and I pass on it. But man, do I feel the tug from the Alberg-CCA-Rhodes look.
seaner97 likes this.
post #87 of 296 Old 09-07-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
This is so true.

When I was looking for my first boat, I came across an Oday Tempest. If you've never seen one, the Tempest is a Philip Rhodes-designed 23 footer. A fin keel and separate rudder, but above the waterline, a very traditional looking boat. Moderate but distinct overhangs. Very small cabin and a huge cockpit. In short, a boat that looks very much like a modern "throwback" daysailer (like an Alerion or Morris M series boat), but can be had for a song.

Anyway, I show the boat to my wife (who by the way is an interior designer and appreciates good design), and she is less than thrilled. "It looks like Popeye's boat" is her reaction. "Yes!" I scream, "It's a classic look!" I love the boat, but this particular boat is a gawd-awful mess and I pass on it. But man, do I feel the tug from the Alberg-CCA-Rhodes look.
So is she a Benehunterlina fan?

post #88 of 296 Old 09-07-2015

Quote:
I posit that all makes from that era are essentially handmade items and exposed to similar QI issues, making them hard to really compare, and that as there is no universally recognized system, this seems somewhat unfair to the Pearson cousins as they seem to get singled out with this, with rarely any other U.S. company other than Hinkley,

Thoughts from the rest?
Also- if you were to attempt to make a FRP boat from this era last forever, how do you do it(setting aside those of you that would say why bother- this isn't meant as a referendum on their value. Suffice that many of us like these old, slow, pretty boats and want to play caretaker to these antiques.)? And what structural upgrades could you retrofit to make them 'superior'?
I think you're right, many of the more popular old (mostly CCA era design) boats were largely hand built and are hard to compare. But the hulls seem to be well enough built(so far, so good).

A Hinckley was probably built better than most. And Hinckley did use high quality parts that help the boats endure.

But I think it is the design of a B40, or many of these older boats, that has held their popularity, not a(perceived by some)superior structural quality.

The more popular older boats I'm aware of are still strong and don't need structural upgrades. They benefit greatly by new systems, especially sail handling, to get the most out of them, and endless cosmetics.

You're right, again, on the 'caretaker' remark: many of the more popular CCA glass boats have had many owners. Those of us that own them today may not even be the middle owner.

Some designs -new and old- aren't likely to endure this same test of time, no matter how well they are(or aren't) built.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #89 of 296 Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
So is she a Benehunterlina fan?
I get mixed messages. When we go to the boat show, she ooohs and aaaahs over the modern looking catamarans, I think because of the spaciousness. And she seems to really like the "modern" features of the Benehunterlinas, especially the scoop sterns and lots of room. She really liked the Benetau Sense boats. But she also really liked the Friendship 40 and the Morris M series boats too. I guess she can deal with the Popeye design sensibility if some luxury is involved.

Fortunately, she also approves of my dream boat, the Seaward 32RK. Enough retro design for me, and enough modern design for her. Unfortunately for both of us, too expensive. That is of course unless my long term financial planning is effective (win the lottery or have an unknown rich relative die and leave me their estate).
post #90 of 296 Old 09-09-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I get mixed messages. When we go to the boat show, she ooohs and aaaahs over the modern looking catamarans, I think because of the spaciousness. And she seems to really like the "modern" features of the Benehunterlinas, especially the scoop sterns and lots of room. She really liked the Benetau Sense boats. But she also really liked the Friendship 40 and the Morris M series boats too. I guess she can deal with the Popeye design sensibility if some luxury is involved.

Fortunately, she also approves of my dream boat, the Seaward 32RK. Enough retro design for me, and enough modern design for her. Unfortunately for both of us, too expensive. That is of course unless my long term financial planning is effective (win the lottery or have an unknown rich relative die and leave me their estate).
Mmmmmm- Morris 42. Ahhhh. Or Hinkley Sou'wester. Both awesome throwbacks. I see you've got my financial planner, as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in