SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Refurbishing CCA boats (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/216354-refurbishing-cca-boats.html)

seaner97 08-25-2015 07:04 PM

Refurbishing CCA boats

14 Attachment(s)
Jeff and I have been having a discussion on the B34 and T34c threads that I thought deserved its own spot.

Starting from the acknowledgment that nothing lasts forever, newer hulls are faster and more commodious, but far more expensive than those that are on the market from the CCA era of the 60s, I began asking about the 'Moderate build quality' tag that gets thrown onto some boats (Pearsons and Bristols, mostly) from that era. Jeff pointed out two U.S. Brands that he felt were superior in their glasswork- early Grampians and Tartans, but had no experience with others he could speak to. I posit that all makes from that era are essentially handmade items and exposed to similar QI issues, making them hard to really compare, and that as there is no universally recognized system, this seems somewhat unfair to the Pearson cousins as they seem to get singled out with this, with rarely any other U.S. company other than Hinkley, and now the two above (although only in Jeff estimable opinion, which I don't doubt) ever gets mentioned as superior.
Thoughts from the rest?
Also- if you were to attempt to make a FRP boat from this era last forever, how do you do it(setting aside those of you that would say why bother- this isn't meant as a referendum on their value. Suffice that many of us like these old, slow, pretty boats and want to play caretaker to these antiques.)? And what structural upgrades could you retrofit to make them 'superior'?

SloopJonB 08-25-2015 08:12 PM

Re: Refurbishing CCA boats

Grampians were Canadian.

seaner97 08-25-2015 08:23 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SloopJonB (Post 2989050)
Grampians were Canadian.

Of course they were. My bad on my attempted summary of the multiple prior posts.

hriehl1 08-25-2015 09:20 PM

Mine is not a first-hand knowledgeable opinion. But when I had my 1968 Hinterhoeller HR28 professionally surveyed 4 years ago after I bought it, the surveyor gushed several times as to how ruggedly-built it was. He was very impressed not just at the condition, but at the overall heavily-built design.

Hinterhoeller was a well-regarded builder of C&Cs , Niagara's and Nonsuches, but his earlier Sharks and HR28s may also be deserving of some respect.

I am a happy HR28 owner.

killarney_sailor 08-25-2015 10:09 PM

George Hinterhoeller left C&C because he got fed up being told by MBAs how to build boats. He took his share of the company and created the second incarnation of Hinterhoeller Yachts (Nonsuchs and Niagaras and a Frers design). Excellent boats. I am sure his earlier boats were about as good as the knowledge of that time would allow.

killarney_sailor 08-25-2015 10:11 PM

I think it makes sense for this thread to deal with rebuilds on older f/g boats in general. CCA was a rating rule for racing and not all boats of the time were built with an eye on this rule.

desert rat 08-25-2015 11:03 PM

What else would you, could you, should you, do for these boats other than the obvious.
I fear that my future holds a major re fit on my first boat.
Fix rot and de lamination in deck and cockpit, over drill and re bed deck hardware.
Seal and glass hull deck joint.
Re seal ports and hatches.
Replace repair and re bed chain plates.
Replace repair and re bed keel bolts and keel.

seaner97 08-26-2015 06:53 AM

14 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 2989602)
I think it makes sense for this thread to deal with rebuilds on older f/g boats in general. CCA was a rating rule for racing and not all boats of the time were built with an eye on this rule.

Yes, but I intentionally limited it to these because it effectively hit the spot I'm interested in late 50s-72 glass boats. I think 72-86 had different issues, and 86-present are vastly different in construction.
What made a boat superior in the 60s? For one that isn't or wasn't, what can you do to make her so today?
Further, other than watching for stress cracks and blistering, is there some way to tell your laminate is giving up the ghost?

SloopJonB 08-26-2015 09:54 AM

Stress cracks are usually just the gelcoat and blisters are rarely more than a cosmetic issue, seldom going deeper than the external mat layer.

Fiberglass that is truly "giving up the ghost" will become flexible and audibly crunch under pressure or flexure. Glass that is overstressed and failing will turn white as well.

mstern 08-26-2015 10:32 AM

If you want to know what types of upgrades/improvements can or should be made to a classic plastic, I highly recommend that you review Tim Lackey's work. Tim's business is all about restoring classic sailboats from that era, and his website is a wonderful resource for those who are asking themselves the exact same questions you are asking. Lackey Sailing LLC | Restoring and Rebuilding GreatÂ* Boats. Tim documents each job with photos and detailed explanations of what he is doing. I'm not affliated with or even a customer of Tim's; just a very interested observer.