Main sheet location - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter

Main sheet location

Having this idea of being able to have the main sheet on the cabin top. The traveler is at the companionway, and I don't wan't to remove it, but would like the option of using a mainsheet up top.I seem to recall seeing it done before by way of a block and tackle ? and two connecting points.One starboard and one port.Not sure if this is practical or not,and dont know what parts i would need,and where to get them....Thx..George.

Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20/Jack Helms 24
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by georgemci102a2; 08-25-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-25-2015
Sailor

Re: Main sheet location

That's how it is on my Bayfield 36. There are 2 block and tackle sheets attached on the cabin top forward of the dodger, one starboard and the other port. They get adjusted in tandem to achieve correct sail shape. It is not as quick and efficient when tacking to have the same combination of adjustments and the same shape as boats with a traveler. It works well now that we are used to it.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2015 Thread Starter

Looking at the double sheets that you are talking about.Wonder if it can somehow be done with one.Probably only be using the cabin top set up when I want to put in the connector between dodger and bimini.That would only be because of harsh weather im thinking.

Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20/Jack Helms 24

post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2015
Sailor

I wouldn't know how you could do it with 1 sheet as you need both to adjust how far out the boom goes and pull it down to flatten the sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 11 Old 08-25-2015

I am not sure I am picturing this right, but you could set up a German system, or half German system, and just run the tails to two separate places.

Greg
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2015
Master Mariner

One would think some reinforcing of the cabin top and sides would be in order if you were to add a sheet where it wasn't designed to go.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
That's how it is on my Bayfield 36. There are 2 block and tackle sheets attached on the cabin top forward of the dodger, one starboard and the other port. They get adjusted in tandem to achieve correct sail shape. It is not as quick and efficient when tacking to have the same combination of adjustments and the same shape as boats with a traveler. It works well now that we are used to it. Tod
I've seen this system quite frequently, but never with two individual sheets. It is normally done as a single sheet adjustable from either end, not individually. If you check out your system, you should be able to rig it easily with one line.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2015

i would think that if the main sheet traveller is at the companionway then goin to the cabintop is going to be way too far forward, thinking back ive never seen a sheet thats on the cabin top closer to the gooseneck than about 50% of the boom. if thats the case with your intended setup then it may put alot of stress on the boom and gooseneck. especially if the plan is for heavy weather, my bet is that ones of the two fails most likely a snapped boom.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2015

post 14 https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailbo...nsheets-2.html
its been talked about before and works. use snap shackles and you can go from traveler to cabin side at will the leeward sheet can be snapped on the rail and be a preventer.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2015
Sailor

"I've seen this system quite frequently, but never with two individual sheets. It is normally done as a single sheet adjustable from either end, not individually. If you check out your system, you should be able to rig it easily with one line."

Since you need to pull in 2 directions independently of each other, I really don't see how you could do it with 1 line. Maybe you can draw a schematic?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in