Anyone dive to clean their own bottom? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Anyone dive to clean their own bottom?

I do my own...

I grab a mooring in a clear-er part of Narragansett Bay (usually Potter's Cove), grab my mask, snorkle, fins, scrub brush, and a suction cup and go at it. It takes me about an hour to clean my O'day 35 (including the keel).

Stray current is less of a danger in salt water than it is in fresh. Better to grab a mooring, or drop anchor, somewhere and not worry about it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

I'm a diver so there was never a question about whether I'd clean my boat bottom and change the zincs. That said, it's not easy and anyone who can do a 36' boat in an hour on snorkel seems a bit out of the norm. It takes me 35-45 min to scrub my 38-footer, but I am also typically upside down the whole time and in cold water with about 6 inches of viz, which would be pretty disorienting for some. If you have clear, warm water, then scrubbing the bottom on snorkel is the best advice, and it would build up aerobic capacity, which is otherwise hard to do on a boat. Whether you scrub your boat on scuba/hookah or snorkel, get a large suction cup to help keep you in place. This will reduce the overall amount of effort resulting in less air consumption.
post #13 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Master Mariner

Of course we have to clean our bottom! We were stupid enough to put Sea Hawk antifouling paint on our boat!
Unfortunately, or actually fortunately for us since we do at anchor, we need not worry about electricity in the water, so I can't be of any help on that front. We use a Deck Snorkel and that makes it pretty easy.
Sorry, just took the opportunity to try to save others from making the same mistake.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #14 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Closet Powerboater

Do I dive to clean my own bottom? No! I use TP and if that doesn't do the trick a shower usually does nicely.

:-D somebody had to go there...:-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Minnesail likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
post #15 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

What's a deck snorkel?
post #16 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
What's a deck snorkel?
Deck Snorkel | Powerdive

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

post #17 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Do I dive to clean my own bottom? No! I use TP and if that doesn't do the trick a shower usually does nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Oh boy. You're going to owe the black box a bunch for that one!

post #18 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

Failure to clean your own well enough, is the leading cause of aspergers.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF28 View Post
As a big DIY type, I'd rather learn how its done than just pay someone to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzawnxVPlL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgPmXg1-o5g

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF28 View Post
My concern is stray voltage in the marina. It is a salt water marina, with no leakage problems that I am aware of. Is stray voltage even something to worry about? Any suggestions for reading how to, or safety precautions are appreciated.
Electric Shock Drowning (ESD) is pretty much unheard of in saltwater. I have been cleaning boat bottoms in saltwater marinas for 21 years here in the Bay Area and in that time, well over 1,000,000 in-water hull cleaning events have taken place here. To my certain knowledge, not one of those events has resulted in a hull cleaner being killed or injured due to electric shock. I'd say that's a pretty good indication that in-water hull cleaning is not inherently dangerous.

That said, it's never a bad idea to unplug the boat you're working under from the shorepower. You only have to get electrocuted once to ruin your day.
eherlihy and Bene505 like this.
post #20 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
The secret is I have an 8 inch wide flexible stainless steel scraper mounted on an 8 foot pole.
Otherwise known as a "Worst Management Practice." Not only is it bad for the paint, it doesn't actually "clean" the bottom. Remove 3-dimensional growth? Maybe. Leave a clean paint surface? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
If you use a brush or a green scrubber pad you will remove lots of ablative antifouling as evidenced by the colored clouds in the water.
Then don't use a brush or green scrubber. Use a white scrubber or a piece of carpet. And if you can't clean your hull with anything less abrasive than a scraper or a brush, you have waited too long to clean it. It ain't rocket science.
Bene505 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in