Anyone dive to clean their own bottom? - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 Old 09-12-2015 Thread Starter

Anyone dive to clean their own bottom?

As a big DIY type, I'd rather learn how its done than just pay someone to do it. I have most of the equipment needed and was thinking about diving in to scrub the bottom. My concern is stray voltage in the marina. It is a salt water marina, with no leakage problems that I am aware of. Is stray voltage even something to worry about? Any suggestions for reading how to, or safety precautions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Re: Anyone dive to clean their own bottom?

Stray current can be a problem. Some dock side divers are whacked every year. However, it's not very common either. If it's your own boat, why not just do it at anchor somewhere. Likely to be better water quality too. Check with your marina first. Ours doesn't permit dockside diving at all. It's a negotiated accommodation to the environmental agency that doesn't like excessive antifoulant heavy metals to be sloughed off in confined harbors.

Some thoughts........

Be sure to use the absolute softest media to scrub, or you're just removing too much antifoulant.

It can be an extremely exhausting process, where you'll quickly learn that paying a pro is worth every penny.

All but impossible to use only a snorkel. Scuba gear is most common (but get properly certified, as it can kill you). Hookah systems are usually used by the pros and some DIYers (still requires scuba training).

A cheat method (only works if all you have is slime) is to snorkel around the waterline and use a long handled, soft bristled brush to clean as far as you can reach. Dive only to do the remainder, which may only be the keel or bottom of rudder, depending on the size of your boat.
Friend of Ned likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Minnewaska nailed it. Especially the "cheat" method which is my standard method. And it is exhausting but worth it for me.

Good luck.

Skywalker

post #4 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

I've been cleaning my boats bottom for for over 30 years. I'm on a mooring and use mask, fins and snorkle. I don't find it that exhausting and i will turn 70 next year.
post #5 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

We invested in a hookah for our boat and I know it's paid for itself many times over. Since we have been cruising full time for about the last 5 years, we often find ourselves in remote places where there's no one to clean the bottom but me. It's not a chore that I look forward to but it only usually takes a couple of hours every six to eight weeks. However, when we're at home in a slip, I hire a professional to do the job.
post #6 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Hey,

I clean my own bottom (no jokes!). My boat is on a mooring. The harbor water is pretty clean so I am not too worried about being in the water. I first go around the boat in my dinghy and I scrub the water line and as far down as I can reach. Then it's mast, snorkel, fins time and I go at it. It takes me about an hour to my 36' boat. I admit that I do a poor job on the keel. Its 6' deep and I just can't stay down there like I used to (I'm 51). I get most of the slime off and I never have barnacles or hard growth.

I admit that I do hire a diver before I do an important race. He does a better job and also cleans the water intakes and does the bottom of the keel too. I pay him $95 and it's worth it.

Barry
jwing likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I clean my own bottom. I use standard snorkel gear and work from the surface. NO DIVING REQUIRED!

The secret is I have an 8 inch wide flexible stainless steel scraper mounted on an 8 foot pole. It takes me about 1/2 an hour per side to do my 44 ft monohull. If you use a brush or a green scrubber pad you will remove lots of ablative antifouling as evidenced by the colored clouds in the water. With a scraper you don't get the cloud effect.

The next point I make may not apply to all areas. Where I sail you get quantities of tiny shrimp and larvae coating the hull. These will migrate to your person as you scrape them off the hull. It is essential that you have a real good wash down afterwards paying particular attention to any creases and important little places.

BTW I am 68 years young.
asdf38, krisscross and jwing like this.

Last edited by TQA; 09-12-2015 at 10:35 AM.
post #8 of 86 Old 09-12-2015
Battered and Bruised

I dive mine myself. Usually we grab a mooring at our marina, as others have posted we also have a no bottom cleaning at the dock policy. Usually me and one of my sons will suit up in SCUBA gear and take our time cleaning and inspecting. If it is mostly slime we are cleaning we find a piece of old carpet is gentle enough to leave most of the anti fouling paint while still sturdy enough to clean. Our 31 foot boat takes the two of us 30/45 minutes working at a leisurely pace. In Florida I frequently find a sandy spot with good vid and a foot or two of water under the keel. I anchor fore and aft and do the job with snorkel and fins.
jwing likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvio For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (09-14-2015)
post #9 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Yes. Twice a month because the antifoul is gone. Use a hookah. I anchor out somewhere clean, calm, clear and warm....between the tropics. Takes about an hour and a full 80 cf bottle. It's good exercise. It is spotless. Wayyyyy easier to do it regularly rather than let it languish. Use a soft plastic scrub pad when there is no real paint left. Use a soft bath towel rag when there is still paint (micron 66). If a scraper is needed you have not been a good parent.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #10 of 86 Old 09-12-2015

Find a shallow spot and do it at slack before low. I find I use a lot less energy I can plant my feet on the bottom.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in