Powering Bilge at Mooring Ball/Power Question - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 11-03-2015
bell ringer

Re: Powering Bilge at Mooring Ball/Power Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Someone who leaves the automatic bilge pump on might not realize they have a leak until the pump breaks or the battery runs down.
That's just crazy thinking. If you normally have a dry bilge and get a leak and the pump runs, your bilge wouldn't be dry after. Meanwhile if you have a leak YOU WANT THE PUMP TO RUN!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 11-03-2015

Yea, if you're worried about not knowing if the pump is running, put a cycle counter on it. Meanwhile with an auto pump, you will not have a sunk boat, or a boat full of water with ruined floors and interior, believe me, my cabin sole needs refinished now because of a perfect storm of events that would not have mattered if my rule auto bilge pump was functioning correctly (these new style ones are garbage!) .
post #23 of 41 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
That is more than enough, unless you think you are going to have some major leaks. I would put a little solar panel on there just to keep it topped off. You want to keep them up above 60% for sure.

15 Watt, 12 Volt Solar Panel

Also if it doesn't power the engine, get a golf cart battery, they are made to be drained really far and recharged. Otherwise just a standard dual purpose Marine battery.
Sorry I've been MIA. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking a 20 Watt panel, this one is pretty cheap and would probably do the trick though.

Thanks for your help!
CapnBones likes this.

post #24 of 41 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
If you are on a mooring and worried about leaks, close your seacocks if possible. A really bad leak, unattended, at 10PM, will probably result in a sunk boat regardless of your battery bank.

If you are really worried, a bilge alarm and/or online monitoring system is probably what you need.
I'm not that concerned. It is just an old boat that will likely be unattended for days at a time. The piece of mind of a pump would just be nice. I'll have insurance if the thing does sink.
post #25 of 41 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I just posted this in the electrical forum.

I still have not finished it, but it is already the best reference on the topic that I have seen.
I will check both of those out. Thanks!
post #26 of 41 Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Since it sounds like the boat you are considering doesn't currently have a battery, I suspect it is smaller and powered by an outboard. For that kind of use, a single group 27 is fine. It will run your lights and VHF radio and charge your phone. A small 10 to 30 watt solar panel should have no trouble keeping the battery charged while on the mooring. Two suggestions: get a deep cycle (not a starting) battery, and get a controller for the solar panel to avoid overcharging the battery.

FWIW I keep my boat on a mooring and a 20 watt panel keeps my two Group 31 batteries topped off just fine.
It is a 29 footer with an inboard. It just doesn't currently have a battery or running engine for that matter.

I was planning on both a deep cycle and a controller.

How bit is your boat, if you don't mind me asking. The shop was suggesting a Group 27, I'm not sure if I will need more. It really has minimal electronics right now. I'm just worried about a bilge pump and phones and the like when I'm on it. Plus maybe a small laptop from time to time (If I decide to work from the boat vs work from home).
post #27 of 41 Old 11-03-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I'm not that concerned. It is just an old boat that will likely be unattended for days at a time. The piece of mind of a pump would just be nice. I'll have insurance if the thing does sink.
Closing seacocks is going to be your best bet. I'm not saying not to install a bilge pump...

It's just the time factor if a leak does occur.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #28 of 41 Old 11-03-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
How bit is your boat, if you don't mind me asking. The shop was suggesting a Group 27, I'm not sure if I will need more.
The only downside to bigger is a little larger footprint and little more cost. But in the end getting too small a battery is 100% waste of time and money.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 41 Old 11-03-2015

Quote:
It is a 29 footer with an inboard. It just doesn't currently have a battery or running engine for that matter.

I was planning on both a deep cycle and a controller.

How bit is your boat, if you don't mind me asking. The shop was suggesting a Group 27, I'm not sure if I will need more. It really has minimal electronics right now. I'm just worried about a bilge pump and phones and the like when I'm on it. Plus maybe a small laptop from time to time (If I decide to work from the boat vs work from home).
My boat is a 33-footer with a Yanmar diesel. My previous boat was a 30 footer and I had two Group 27s. With an inboard, you really need two batteries. One is in use and the other kept fully charged to make sure you can start the engine.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
My boat is a 33-footer with a Yanmar diesel. My previous boat was a 30 footer and I had two Group 27s. With an inboard, you really need two batteries. One is in use and the other kept fully charged to make sure you can start the engine.
Yeah, I was going to get one Group 27 and then one dedicated starter battery for the engine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in