bluetooth speakers - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 11-23-2015

Re: bluetooth speakers

I bought the Marley "Chant Mini" Bluetooth speaker this summer. My boat is a 22 so I don't need much but this little speaker is unreal. Somehow it actually has bass, a lot of volume and the sound quality is awesome (and its the size of a coffee cup!) It has a carabiner so I just move it around as I need it. Also, I've run it over a whole weekend and it didn't die. I have the worst luck with buying electronics so I'm still amazed at how great this speaker is.

The bigger Bluetooth speakers are even better and can be moved just as easily. I definitely wouldn't go back to a wired system.

thehouseofmarley.ca/audio-systems/portable-audio-systems/chant-minitm-hemp.html
RobGallagher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 11-23-2015
Broad Reachin'

We love our Fugoo. It's small, has good sound, excellent battery life and is waterproof/shock proof. It's also got a small rail mounting attachment so we can easily put it on the bimini frame or steering binnacle in the cockpit. My full review is here: A Sailing Rockstar - Fugoo Bluetooth Speaker

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old 11-23-2015

We have a large-size Jambox Bluetooth speaker aboard. Battery lasts about 9 hrs. Great sound and can be brought ashore. Not waterproof to my knowledge, but I don't often play tunes while sailing and tend to try to stay dry at anchor.

One big advantage of these bluetooth speakers is that guests can easily synch with their own smartphone and play their music too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 28 Old 11-24-2015

I have a Bose SLIII, love it. Had just bought another brand, took it to show a friend...who had SLIII, went home an ordered, gave $70 unit away. Sony has offered wired commander for years, I recently upgraded, mostly I demand an off switch at the helm.
post #15 of 28 Old 11-24-2015

I have multiple bluetooth capabilities aboard. First, just some portable bluetooth speakers for fun beach side. Then I bought a bluetooth receiver (charges via internal lion battery via microusb) and plugged that into the aux of my head unit on jendai. Its a poor mans bluetooth enabled head unit. Lots of fun. I *WISH* bluetooth could do true stereo but unless your speakers have some capability (UE Booms do), connecting one bluetooth source to multiple listeners is still a chore. Maybe bluetooth 4.0 will fix that.

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #16 of 28 Old 11-26-2015
~~~_/)~~~

I'll throw in, I've got the Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker as does my GF. Spent hours in Bestbuy trying them all. absolutely the best sound. Its LOTS of high quality sound for in the cabin or on deck. I use mine at home and travelling in the offseason. Its not waterproof.
post #17 of 28 Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter

All,
Let me open this thread up again and ask, doesn't a Bluetooth Receiver (like a Sony Bluetooth Marine Receiver at West Marine) mean that it will broadcast to Bluetooth Speakers or does it only connect to a Bluetooth source (stream music from your Iphone) to wired speakers? Obviously I could just stream music from the Iphone (etc) directly to the speakers. But if I have music on a usb stick is there a receiver that I can plug it into and stream music to the Bluetooth speakers?

thanks,
Ron
post #18 of 28 Old 12-03-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
All,
Let me open this thread up again and ask, doesn't a Bluetooth Receiver (like a Sony Bluetooth Marine Receiver at West Marine) mean that it will broadcast to Bluetooth Speakers or does it only connect to a Bluetooth source (stream music from your Iphone) to wired speakers? Obviously I could just stream music from the Iphone (etc) directly to the speakers. But if I have music on a usb stick is there a receiver that I can plug it into and stream music to the Bluetooth speakers?

thanks,
Ron
Yes they do make what you are looking for. Amazon sells some with USB playback, but I can't vouch for the quality.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #19 of 28 Old 12-03-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
All,

thanks,
Ron
If I wanted the versitility of multiple sources (Bluetooth, USB, SD card, aux input etc) I think I woudl install an in-dash unit and hardware speakers below and above. Most speakers will have limited display and selecting music can be difficult. Most indash units have at least some ability to select music from a menu.

Bluetooth is great for quickly listening to music from smart phone, but that is the limit.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Last edited by miatapaul; 12-03-2015 at 04:44 PM.
post #20 of 28 Old 12-03-2015 Thread Starter

All,
That seems to be the case. I spoke with a Sony rep concerning their marine receivers and he indicated that the Bluetooth capability is limited to the source streaming music to the device. The speakers are wired to the receiver.

I purchased and ECOCARBON waterproof speaker. So far I am pleased with the volume, the sound and the ease of connecting to my iphone as the music source.

I have a blank spot at my Nav station where an old Loran display used to sit. I suspect that space will be filled by a tablet computer of some sort which will have bluetooth capability to stream music to at least this speaker, among its other functions.

thanks again,
Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in