bluetooth speakers - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter

bluetooth speakers

Are there any comments or recommendations for bluetooth speakers on a sailboat. There seems to be a number of waterproof bluetooth speakers available, I am wondering if anyone is using these in the cockpit or down below.

I am thinking of putting a bluetooth stereo mounted down below and this would avoid running wires where ever I want speakers.

A related question is there any stereo remote that would work if the stereo is not in direct line of sight from the cockpit?

thanks,
ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-21-2015

Re: bluetooth speakers

We're using a Bose bluetooth speaker with our iPods on board now.. our cockpit & locker configuration and layout below precludes installation of cockpit speakers. The Bose sounds great and seems fine with being outside, under the dodger if necessary or on the cockpit table when things are quiet. This is a portable unit, not 'installed'. You can even pause the track from the speaker when you're paired with the iPod.

Very pleased with it. we have the 'compact' model in the link below, but I see they have 'better' models too.

BLUETOOTH® Speakers | Bose

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 28 Old 11-21-2015
HANUMAN

Better sounding than the new Bose stuff is hard to find.

However, Waterproof and floats that still sounds great?... https://ecoxgear.com/ecoxbt/ I simply move it inside or outside as needed. You can take a call on it as well. As far as battery life, it's great. Mine has been around the globe twice(ish) and seen plenty of use both on my boat in summer and traveling abroad in winter.

I'm actually thinking of an upgrade for myself https://ecoxgear.com/ecostone/

One good thing about moving the speaker outside as needed is that you can do things down below while the noise is outside, yet still here the music. I used to have internal and external speakers and it's impossible to hear down below if one wants to take a beverage order or listen for running pump, engine, etc.

At night, move the speaker down below and even if it's loud you are less likely to bother someone but your guests can still dance

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #4 of 28 Old 11-21-2015

I have a Nuu Splash. It works great for us. It's on sale at Amazon. Amazon.com: Splash Trail Edition: Electronics
post #5 of 28 Old 11-21-2015

I have an Altec Lansing Jacket that is water proof, sand proof and floats. Sounds really good and battery life is listed at 8 hours, so I expect to get around 5. Edit: one cool feature of this one is that it has a threaded adapter on the bottom to mount it to tri-pods or whatever you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-Bluetooth-Speaker-iMW455/dp/B00ECL8IN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448125079&sr=8-1&keywords=ALTEC+LANSING+JACKET
My friends just gave me a Cobra AirWave that is also water proof and floats but I haven't really used it that much.

https://www.cobra.com/products/wirel...ra-airwave-box

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by XSrcing; 11-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-21-2015 Thread Starter

thanks all for these ideas. I will have to do some more research before I add one of these to my Xmas list.

thanks,
Ron
post #7 of 28 Old 11-21-2015
Learning the HARD way...

I bought an Ayfee Waterproof(? - more like spashproof) speaker for about $40 through Amazon. There is no volume control on the speaker, but for $40 it works GREAT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-22-2015

UE Boom 2 review - CNET

I have the original one. The UE-Boom-2 sounds even better. At $200 not cheap but fill my boat, fills my yard, we gave away the our stereo for the porch. The coolest feature is if you want to spend even more money you can pair up many of them and get stereo out of two or more UE-Booms.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #9 of 28 Old 11-22-2015

My good friend has 2 UE Boom minis. They were awesome new, but now only have a 10 foot range to the BT source and one has a battery life of 1 hour after one year of use. My $60 Altec Lansing is out performing them in every aspect and is just as old.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-22-2015

I had the opposite experience.
My full size UE Boom is still kicking after over a year with long battery life. My Altec unit pre Bluetooth gave up before I was done with it.
lumpy102 likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in