Rudder bearing replacement C&C 36 + other issues - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boatpoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-02-2015 Thread Starter

Post Rudder bearing replacement C&C 36 + other issues

Dear ... Forum

Before i point my questions, a short introduction to Sailnet and her users!
April 2014 i bought a C&C 36, 1980 in Miami. Sailed her through the Bahamas, Haiti (where the canoo boys made some nice deep scratches), Dominican Republic to Curaçao.
Now docked in Curaçao, this year i had a very relaxed and beautiful trip to Bonaire, Los Aves and Los Roques.
In februari 2016 i hope more enjoyable sails to come through Los Roques, then heading st. Martin (Maybe, just maybe from Los Roques, before heading to st. Martin a sail to mainland Venezuela, Pt. Cabello for some wood and canvas work...).

Before this sail to st. Martin i have to do some work.
I will haul out at Curaçao Marine for about a month .

-Strip and paint entire Hull.
-Osmosis (or not?) above the waterline?.
-Replacement rudder bearings.
-Replacement front hatch, check rudder meganics.
-Build in rudder adjuster for raymarine p70 wheel.
-New Canvas Bimini. (eventually later in Venezuale and/or design of a new frame).
-Paint deck and tub(?).
-Maintanance Winches.
-Repair/replace Outboard
-Constructing a 40 ft. Jacob's ladder

I want to strip the anti fouling from the bottom (it has allready fall off at 3 or 4 places, about 1mm thick small plates...) and i want to strip the paint above the waterline too.

What concerns me more is: I have blisters +- 7 to 9 inches above the waterline. These blisters almost totally disappeare when the boat is at dock for a few months, but after a week to 10 days of sailing they start to grow up again. Getting worse a little about every day when sailing (and at a certain level it seems to stop...).
I read about "the underwater section of the hull has 7 layers of fibre and above the waterline just 5 layers". At the transistion of these layers it should happen more often that blisters appear. Under the waterline i have no bubbles or blisters at all.
So I think i can say i don't have to worry about Osmosis (?).
Question?: If i strip the entire hull. Thinking about the 220+ Haitian scratches, would it be recommendable to add a new gell coat before painting?

Besides I have a rudder problem! The bearings of the rudder seem to get bad (It started just a few days after leaving Miami, tightened the upper bolt and been sailing about 75 days since...). Now, when i dive at the very bottom of the rudderblade i can move (tilt) it about half an inch.
The upper bolt (above on the deck behind the helm) is moving and cracking (!) maybe about a quarter inch max during sailing, and cracking quite loud when there is sudden pressure on the rudderblade. I tightend the ground plate from the upperbolt a few times.
The Caribbean Sea can be nasty, so i tend to search for good windows but i think when the going gets tough the rudder could get bad rapidly...?

Bearings for the rudder might be hard to get in Curaçao, ordering from there can take a long time, so i want to bring the bearings from the Netherlands.
I have been reading the internet but some time ago i could only find someone (with superb explainations and foto's) working on a C&C 40 (i think it was), from which the rudder/shaft etc. looks quite similar to my C&C 36.. Though he doesn't give sizes of
the 2(?) ruddershaft bearings?

Question?: Does anyone has or knows where to find C&C 36, year 1980, ruddershaft bearing measurements ? Can i presume that after 35 years the bearings will be still original/same sizes? i.e. does it happen a lot the rudder gets loose?

I am not a real experienced meganic, so on the rudder i definately need help. I spoke to a local meganic and think he does a good job.

Thank you so much for replying on my topic.
Do excuse me for my not very correct english.

Nico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-02-2015

Re: Rudder bearing replacement C&C 36 + other issues

Well your English is much better than my Hollanse.. and my parents were born there!

Your description of above water blisters is unusual.. has the boat been previously painted? Are you sure it's not still the existing original gelcoat (the blister situation supports (badly prepped) paint). If you can remove old paint, I don't think it's necessary to re-gelcoat.. the gelcoat should still be under the paint. If you can get the paint off cleanly, prep and refair the boat, prep, use good primer and prep, paint again. What type of paint are you considering?

Are the rudder bearings actually bushings? If so there must be machine shops in the ABCs that could help you out. There is a good supplier of CnC parts in Canada.. they could probably help you out if you haven't already contacted them: South Shore Yachts | Certified Yacht Broker, C&C Parts and Service btw.. sloppy rudder bushings are pretty common on older boats.

I think that vintage of C&C used Bomar hatches, they are still around and Southshore may stock them too.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2015

You must pull the rudder out of the hull. Do not trust catalogs or other people's opinions on what bearings are installed. Marine manufacturers vary the parts with availability and customer preferences. They may have already been replaced once with something different. Pull it out. Shouldn't be difficult.

The best rudder bearings come from Jefa in Denmark. There are distributors worldwide. If they are simple bushings a machinist in any big city can make new ones.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell

post #4 of 7 Old 12-03-2015
Dirt Free

As Faster said,South Shore Yachts in Canada are the people to talk too. They are ex-C&C employees who bought up all the old inventory when the original C&C went belly up. They even have the original blueprints.
RobGallagher likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-03-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
As Faster said,South Shore Yachts in Canada are the people to talk too. They are ex-C&C employees who bought up all the old inventory when the original C&C went belly up. They even have the original blueprints.
...good customer service too.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2015 Thread Starter

Post Re: Rudder bearing replacement C&C 36 + other issues

Hi Faster (and aloof and all!)

Thank you so much for your comments. Nice you are kinda dutch too. been here?

I have no clue at all, when the boat was painted and which hull paint, nor anti fouling is used. Some of the scratches i wrote about are maybe up to 2 mm deep.
I now own the C&C for about 1,5 year, the previous owner owned her for about half a year and did not paint her. So at least it's over 2 - 2,5 years, could easlily be a year more. Above the waterline, besides the blisters, the painting looks very well done but has degraded through the years. I have good hopes the gelcoat is ok. The antifouling now has fallen off on 3 places, plates raging from a few square inches to a piece of about 2 x 35 inches or so at the transition to the keel.
What hull paint and antifouling do you recommend? There is a Budgetmarine and Islandwaterworld on Curaçao too.

I painted 2, sometimes 3 layers on the deck about 8 months ago with a local brand: AVF PAINTS Antilliaanse Verffabriek B.V.
to see how it stays in the caribbean sun. The guy told me they soon would come with an anti fouling too but sofar no show at their website.

About the bearings, is quite difficult to me, also the technical terms in English, i do not even yet know all the names in Dutch. Unfortunately i am busy with all kind of things (work too....) and want to read in coming week(s).

Most appreciated!

goed weekend.

Nico
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2015
Remember you're a womble

Join the C&C mailing list, you can pretty much guarantee someone on there knows the answer to your questions, CnC Email List Info Page

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bearings , c&c36 , osmosis , rudder

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in