Rechrome a winch in New England? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 12-06-2015

Re: Rechrome a winch in New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
I'm curious on the chroming process. How do they prevent the chrome from getting in the places that don't need to be chromed...such as the grooves/teeth on the inside of the drum? Other spots where any additional material would render the winch inoperable.
At last on my Harken's, I'm pretty sure the teeth are removable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 12-06-2015

I had three winch drums re-chromed in 2011. They were two Lewmar 40s and a Lewmar 8. It cost about $400 and they came out great.

New England Chrome Plating and Brass - chrome plating, brass plating, gold plating, metal finishing, industrial plating, boat restoration, motorcycle restoration, powder coating, fireplace, hard chrome plating, chrome, auto parts, antique, antique re
seaner97 and capta like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loki9 For This Useful Post:
seaner97 (12-07-2015)
post #23 of 31 Old 12-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
I'm curious on the chroming process. How do they prevent the chrome from getting in the places that don't need to be chromed...such as the grooves/teeth on the inside of the drum? Other spots where any additional material would render the winch inoperable.
they mask it off with plater tape

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #24 of 31 Old 12-06-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Your's is a fascinating response...
Excuse me while I update my SailNet settings.
You suggest I must have 'someone' dissemble and reassemble my winches for chroming for me, or that I should chuck all my winches for stainless ones because.. I really don't know why, maybe because you did, and you call ME the troll?
Now who's rolling on the floor laughing?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 12-06-2015 at 11:52 PM.
post #25 of 31 Old 12-07-2015

Not clear on this argument. Would expect you just take off the drums yourself. It's easy. Just like for maintenance. Lewmar replaced one for free for me. Was surprisingly heavy so agree using local house and avoiding shipping cost makes sense as does request for heavy coating.
Have had this issue on several different brands not just Lewmar but happened in just two years this time which I think is way too early. Seems to always start where line first hits the drum and then spread from there. Have always wondered if angle was less acute if it wouldn't happen so fast. Know my angle is well within suggested by mfg.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #26 of 31 Old 12-07-2015
Old enough to know better

One thing about having this done, it uses some really nasty chemicals, so if you are someplace other than the US I think you may well have a better chance of a successful chrome plating that will last. Here in the US they are regulated to the point that they can't do as good of a job. So this may be best to have done in the islands, if you can find a good chrome guy. It is not rocket science, but it is quite toxic. I had some bumpers chromed in the early 80's and they came out looking new. Last time I saw work from the same place it looked like chrome plated plastic.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #27 of 31 Old 12-07-2015

If your doing all of them why not powder coat? I did mine several years ago and they're holding up fine , even if one gets a chip,
At 25$ to recoat one who cares , if I paid the money to re chrome a winch and it started peeling after a year or two, somebody has a lot of explaining to do, and I'd be damned if i was going to pay to have it redone , but after seeing to many plating jobs (auto parts , marine parts, bike parts etc) not last as long as they should I decided powderccoat would serve my purposes better , and the fact that 6 winches
Powder coated cost less than one being chromed ....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #28 of 31 Old 12-07-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you Loki.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #29 of 31 Old 12-07-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
If your doing all of them why not powder coat? I did mine several years ago and they're holding up fine , even if one gets a chip,
At 25$ to recoat one who cares , if I paid the money to re chrome a winch and it started peeling after a year or two, somebody has a lot of explaining to do, and I'd be damned if i was going to pay to have it redone , but after seeing to many plating jobs (auto parts , marine parts, bike parts etc) not last as long as they should I decided powderccoat would serve my purposes better , and the fact that 6 winches
Powder coated cost less than one being chromed ....
Assuming that it holds up, this seems like an interesting idea! I see that one can get powder coat paints in metallic colors too... I imagine that "chrome" must be one of the options.

I also found a video where I guy applied a layer of clear powder coat directly on top of a piece of metal that was chromed as a test. In the video the powder coat went on, and set up fine.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #30 of 31 Old 12-12-2015
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

There is a company in Providence, RI. that chromes winches and other boat parts. I believe they are the same people that will also knurl your drums if you'd like or need. I've not used them but have been considering it, they are International Chromium Plating, 2 Addison Pl., Providence, RI., (401) 421-0205. Should you use them or anyone else please report back on your results and findings. Good luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in