Winterizing your boat - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobGallagher

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-2015 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Winterizing your boat

When you winterize your boat in preparation for haulout do you leave your thru hulls open or closed? ( I normally leave them all closed then once I haul out I go back and open the thru hulls to get the water out of the ball valves. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-11-2015

Dock
Re: Winterizing your boat

I was just thinking about this the other day, that it might be better to leave them closed so as to prevent insects or whatever from climbing in from the outside, or building mud nests or anything of the sort. Luckily for mine, I have two - the sink which is constantly closed as there's no plumbing hooked to it. And the cockpit drains, which kinda have to stay open to ward off any snow or rain that might find a way in under the cover.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2015

I leave mine open in case any residual water or condensation should run down into the valve body. Those that are unused and normally closed (overboard discharge, capped internally) get opened them closed.

FWIW I've seen what happens when a water-filled ball valve freezes (fortunately, it was just an irrigation pump, not on a boat) - the little cylinder of water in the stainless ball pushed the valve body apart, splitting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norman
s/y "Redline"
1998 Jeanneau SO45.2

post #4 of 7 Old 12-12-2015

Happens often when air temp in boat is much colder than the surrounding water. Thru hulls valves burst and boat fills when it warms up
post #5 of 7 Old 12-12-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
When you winterize your boat in preparation for haulout do you leave your thru hulls open or closed? ( I normally leave them all closed then once I haul out I go back and open the thru hulls to get the water out of the ball valves. )
In preparation for haul out, I leave them closed. I close my through hulls every time I leave the boat for more than a day.

After haul out I open them back up for the winter. After the last freeze I close them again, keeps the bugs from making nests and they are ready for launch!

Is it spring yet?
brokesailor likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-2015

Ditto. Close before haul out, then opened on the hard to drain and dry. Not worried about bugs, once the winter sets in.

Those in humid southern climates, however, need to close their thru-hulls for serious bug issues. However, freezing isn't an issue for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2015

Living in Northern Canada I have done my share of winterizing as we regularly see -40 and -50 in my area. In my experience always leave the valves open, as mentioned before if a small amount of water freezes in the closed body (whether residual, or trickle down) it can split it pretty easily.

Bugs aren't much of an issue in my area, but mice, squirrels, etc are. On all opening I have (exhaust, air, vents, and plumbing) exposed to the outdoors I put a small wad of steel wool in them. It easily pulls out during the spring de-winterizing, and mice\bugs will not chew into it. Make a checklist if you have to of where you plugged so you don't forget in the spring and leave it in the galley.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in