Harken MK I furler. Should I use it? Too old? Furlers vs hank on ? Your thoughts? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 Old 12-22-2015

Re: Harken MK I furler. Should I use it? Too old? Furlers vs hank on ? Your thoughts?

"I'm thinking of going the other way!
Is it possible to covert roller furling sails to hank on?"

Simple. A two-step process.

1) Call sailrite and discuss with them.

2) Then let us know what they say.

I am guessing a boltrope and some reinforcing tape (so the hanks don't tear out). Hanks are easy to fit; getting the boltrope to fit the sail correctly, with the correct halyard tension, will likely be fiddly. But if you have access to a good sewing machine, a lot os space (I commandeer the sailing club dining room) it is probably worth if for a cruiser/casual sailor - probably not a racer, as tolerances for racing sails are much tighter.

But having a good sewing machine is key. When I started trying to maintain my sails, I used a newer Singer. The needle penetrated, but the seams were not pulled fully tight. Within a year they frayed and failed. I ended up buying a Sailrite machine (but others have had luck with older, solid semi-industrial machines). The Sailrite machine was hellish expensive, but for me has paid its way in sail servicing and other repairs. I even made a jib from a Sailrite kit for about 50% of a loft sail - as much for the experience as for a cheap sail. Hard work. The layup in the corners was so thick the machine could not handle it (which is saying a lot), and I ended up using a hammer and nails, and hand sewing!

So if you enjoy projects like this, get the right machine, make mistakes, fix up your sails, have fun, and then go sailing.
skygazer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Harken MK I furler. Should I use it? Too old? Furlers vs hank on ? Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
"I'm thinking of going the other way!
Is it possible to covert roller furling sails to hank on?"

Simple. A two-step process.

1) Call sailrite and discuss with them.

2) Then let us know what they say.

I am guessing a boltrope and some reinforcing tape (so the hanks don't tear out). Hanks are easy to fit; getting the boltrope to fit the sail correctly, with the correct halyard tension, will likely be fiddly. But if you have access to a good sewing machine, a lot os space (I commandeer the sailing club dining room) it is probably worth if for a cruiser/casual sailor - probably not a racer, as tolerances for racing sails are much tighter.

But having a good sewing machine is key. When I started trying to maintain my sails, I used a newer Singer. The needle penetrated, but the seams were not pulled fully tight. Within a year they frayed and failed. I ended up buying a Sailrite machine (but others have had luck with older, solid semi-industrial machines). The Sailrite machine was hellish expensive, but for me has paid its way in sail servicing and other repairs. I even made a jib from a Sailrite kit for about 50% of a loft sail - as much for the experience as for a cheap sail. Hard work. The layup in the corners was so thick the machine could not handle it (which is saying a lot), and I ended up using a hammer and nails, and hand sewing!

So if you enjoy projects like this, get the right machine, make mistakes, fix up your sails, have fun, and then go sailing.
Wow, hammer and nails!! That is more my type of sewing I guess. I don't know enough about sewing to know if I can enjoy it. But actually I do some work on boats that I don't really like, I just like having the job finished and working on boats in general.

I sewed a pants leg rip once with my wife's machine, but when it ran out of thread I was stumped! She has no interest in sewing but I think she can thread her machine. Stepping on the pedal and watching it zip along was kind of fun compared to hand sewing.

I admire that you have sewn your own sail. I don't race so casual is good enough for me. That is good to know about the threads have to be pulled tight. I just read in an older book that hand sewn sails were best because the threads did not stand proud and abrade. HA! If I did the hand sewing, which would require living almost forever, the uneven tension would rip the fabric.
post #33 of 33 Old 12-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Hi Bleemus. I wondered about this myself, and was hoping it would be as simple as attaching hanks to the tape by mechanical means or even sewing each one on.

How would you replace the tape with a bolt rope?

Not too good about sewing so yes, it is a serious question.

For a sailmaker it is easy as they have all the equipment on hand.

If you want to do it yourself you will need the following.

A length of boltrope tape purchased from a sailmaker.

Seam ripper

Hanks and Hank chafe guards

HEAVY DUTY sewing machine

Grommet punch and grommets.

Awls and vice grips with block and tackle attached to handle

STEPS

Remove old luff tape with seam ripper

Lay sail out on floor with a fold one foot behind luff and awl head and tack

Awl the head of the sail and top of new luff tape to the floor

Attach vice grips to bottom of luff tape and awl the block and tackle to the floor

Tighten block and tackle and tension the luff tape a lot more than you think

Staple the luff tape every few inches to the sail

Remove all the Awls

Stitch luff tape to sail

Punch holes for grommets and install grommets, chafe guards and then hanks.

Go sailing.

Probably forgot a step or two since it has been awhile. Very important that the luff tape goes on the sail with that block tension. You want the majority of load in the tape and boltrope not in the single layers of sail fabric. Only need enough tension in sail to adjust draft position. Nothing more.

Unless you have all this gear you are better off having it done professionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleemus For This Useful Post:
skygazer (12-23-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in