New sailor looking for help - Harrison Bay, TN - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-26-2015 Thread Starter

New sailor looking for help - Harrison Bay, TN

Hello everyone,
I just finished painting and have docked in a slip at Harrison Bay State Park. I have three items that need my attention before I can raise sails. I believe I need expertise and possibly the loan of a bosun chair. The items amiss are:
  • Forestay is frayed, needing replaced. I would like to use off the shelf cable from the hardware store, cut to size and cinch myself. I don't like the looks of rigging pricing on the on-line stores.
  • Mainsail halyard needs retrieved from the top of the mast. (I am hoping to take care of both of the first two items without lowering the mast, if that is a live option. Thus, the possible need of a bosun's chair)
  • There is a part that needs replaced, and I do not know the name of it.

While getting removing the clips that previously held the main sail, I lost the item that prevents them coming out on their own. It is the item circled in red in this picture:

If I knew the name of the part, I might be able to find a replacement for it on-line.
If there are people local to Chattanooga who might lend expertise (and/or a bosun's chair), I would be very glad of the help getting Firefly ready to sail.

Thanks!

Chattanooga, TN 1979 Catalina 22, "Firefly" - New Sailor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-26-2015

Re: New sailor looking for help - Harrison Bay, TN

I think what you're describing is commonly called a mast gate. Catalina Direct sells them. They call them "MastGater Sail Track Gate." This is a link to Catalina Direct. Catalina Direct: MastGater Sail Track Gate, C-22, CP-22 CD sells them for about $45. Some people fabricate their own, using an aluminum threshold from a hardware store.

smijer likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-26-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks! The part I lost was much smaller, and went inside the track - but it looks like this might work.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-26-2015

It would probably be quite dangerous to use a Bosun's Chair to go to the top of the mast on a Catalina 22. Even a deep-keel version could get very unstable with a large weight (you) at the top of the mast. A better option might be to heel the boat over with some weights and by pulling on the mast (jib and spinnaker halyards?) and perhaps use a boathook to snare the halyard.

Replacing the forestay with cheap galvanized wire could work, but there are issues with, as you put it, "cinching it up". Reliable terminal fittings are expensive, and having the mast suddenly land on your head could be even more so. It might be easier to use low-stretch line (Amsteel, Dyneema, etc.) and oversize it so that it's still strong enough even with a knot tied in it, but the cost creeps back in. Going up the mast to install a new forestay might also be unstable. With two operations to do, pulling the mast to do them both right might make sense.
smijer likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-26-2015

Ah. Maybe you need a sail slide. That's what attaches the sail to the mast. You can buy them at Sailrite, or at Westmarine or similar dealer. There are different types and sizes. Search
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2015

To stop the sail slugs from sliding out of the mast track you can use a bolt and wingnut with some heavy washers. The head of the bolt goes in the track with a washer that fits in the widest part of the track but which will not fit out the slot. The other washer goes over the end of the bolt and the tightened wingnut holds the assembly in place, where it will keep the slugs from sliding down. When you want to take the sail off the mast, loosening the wingnut will enable assembly and the slugs to slide down to the gate. You could also screw self-tapping metal screws into the mast on either side of the track and wrap a short length of stainless steel wire between them.
smijer likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2015 Thread Starter

Noted. I believe I've seen some higher quality cable available at Home Depot, but maybe not. I've never heeled it over before. That sounds like a project, but then so is raising & lowering the mast. I may give that a try. I wondered if a bosun's chair might be too much for such a little boat.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2015
HANUMAN

The one place not to skimp is your standing rigging. Buy the right stuff and do it the right way.

It's probably gonna be easier to take the mast down (on a boat that size) then go up in a chair and try to work while swinging around on a small boat.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smijer View Post
Thanks! The part I lost was much smaller, and went inside the track - but it looks like this might work.
Are you talking about a sail slide stopper? Like these:

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Sail-T...-1-c-5873.html

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2015
Remember you're a womble

What you circled is a slug (or slide), what you want is a stopper as per fmueller's link above. They come in different sizes so make sure to get the right one.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in