Automatic & Portable Bilge Pump - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Automatic & Portable Bilge Pump

Does anyone know of or could recommend a brand/model bilge pump that is both automatic and portable? It also needs to be small enough to fit into the bilge of a Catalina 18. I would like to be able to just lay it down into the bilge, hook up the battery, and go. When I do sail, I would just disconnect it and take it out of the bilge. To simplify, I would not like the pump to be permanently fixed to the boat.

My reasoning behind needing one is that after a good rain, water somehow ends up getting in the boat. This is fine when I sail every weekend since I can remove the water with the manual pump, but I do not like the thought of water potentially sitting in the boat for extended periods.

As a disclaimer, the hull does not leak. The boat can sit in the water for weeks and be bone dry, assuming it does not rain.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-03-2016
Cruiser

Re: Automatic & Portable Bilge Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc26 View Post
Does anyone know of or could recommend a brand/model bilge pump that is both automatic and portable? It also needs to be small enough to fit into the bilge of a Catalina 18. I would like to be able to just lay it down into the bilge, hook up the battery, and go. When I do sail, I would just disconnect it and take it out of the bilge. To simplify, I would not like the pump to be permanently fixed to the boat.

My reasoning behind needing one is that after a good rain, water somehow ends up getting in the boat. This is fine when I sail every weekend since I can remove the water with the manual pump, but I do not like the thought of water potentially sitting in the boat for extended periods.

As a disclaimer, the hull does not leak. The boat can sit in the water for weeks and be bone dry, assuming it does not rain.

Thanks for the help!
Rc,

I used the Whale Supersub pumps in a MacGregor 27 I previously owned years ago. [It had very shallow bilges...]

Whale Marine - Products

They have built-in electronic activation so you don't need to wire a separate switch. With the right hose and electrical connectors, it would be easy to make portable as you describe.

However, since it doesn't use power unless running, I would consider leaving it in to keep your bilge dry when it rains and in case of an emergency...

I hope this is useful for you.

Cheers!

Bill

SV Denali Rose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2016
Master Mariner

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want a permanently mounted auto/manual bilge pump on your boat. What possible reason could there be to remove the pump when you go sailing?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2016

Just to understand, you want an automatic bilge pump that will evacuate water, when you're not at your boat, but not while you're aboard? Why not just a permanent install? A temp bilge pump still needs someplace for the discharge hose to go. Were you planning to route something temporarily up and over the gunnel? If so, a bilge pump's effectiveness declines with every foot of rise to the discharge. It would be much better to install it properly. Are you concerned about drilling a hole in your boat or doing the wiring?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-04-2016
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Rc,

I used the Whale Supersub pumps in a MacGregor 27 I previously owned years ago. [It had very shallow bilges...]

Whale Marine - Products

They have built-in electronic activation so you don't need to wire a separate switch. With the right hose and electrical connectors, it would be easy to make portable as you describe.

However, since it doesn't use power unless running, I would consider leaving it in to keep your bilge dry when it rains and in case of an emergency...

I hope this is useful for you.

Cheers!

Bill

SV Denali Rose

I second the recommendation for the Whale Supersub pump. It will pump the water up several feet as well to clear the gunnel as necessary.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 15 Old 01-04-2016 Thread Starter

I plan on running the output hose through the companionway hatch and out of one of the bailing ports in the cockpit.

This is really just a personal preference. I am not a fan of drilling into the boat nor do I think a normal bilge pump would be small enough to fit permanently.

I am going to check out the Whale Marine pump to see how that fits.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc26 View Post
I plan on running the output hose through the companionway hatch and out of one of the bailing ports in the cockpit.

This is really just a personal preference. I am not a fan of drilling into the boat nor do I think a normal bilge pump would be small enough to fit permanently.

I am going to check out the Whale Marine pump to see how that fits.
Entirely your call, but isn't the companionway hatch going to allow water in?

Since all you want is a convenience pump, I would be very surprised there isn't a model you could secure to the bottom of the bilge. You could always just remove the hose, when you chose to.

However, making a hole in the topsides is pretty easy and there are plenty here that would help with placement and procedures.

Good luck.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-04-2016

It's not automatic, but maybe you'd like a Whale GP1652 12v Hi-Flow Submersible Pump?

Whale GP1652 Pump Hi-Flow Submersible 12v: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Here's a video on it ->
post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Entirely your call, but isn't the companionway hatch going to allow water in?

Since all you want is a convenience pump, I would be very surprised there isn't a model you could secure to the bottom of the bilge. You could always just remove the hose, when you chose to.

However, making a hole in the topsides is pretty easy and there are plenty here that would help with placement and procedures.

Good luck.
Technically, yes but I also drape a plastic tarp over the hatch as well. (And the rest of the boat to protect from the sun)

I am open to all options though. If there is a small enough, reliable, and permanent automatic pump option, I am all ears.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-05-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
It's not automatic, but maybe you'd like a Whale GP1652 12v Hi-Flow Submersible Pump?

Whale GP1652 Pump Hi-Flow Submersible 12v: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Here's a video on it -> Whale Submersible Water Pump 12V d.c. GP1652 - YouTube
Definitely an option. If I went that route I could put a timer on it on say, once a week for 1 minute. Any knowledge on harm caused by running dry?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in