Interprotect 2000e Barrier Coat - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 02-08-2016 Thread Starter

Interprotect 2000e Barrier Coat

Since I have some time, I decided to strip 38 years and 9 coats of bottom paint (including 2 layers of tie coat and a layer of barrier coat applied over hard bottom paint) off the hull right down to the gel coat. Everyone tells me to barrier coat. Looking at Interproctect 2000e. Plan to follow directions on can.

Can anyone tell me things to look out for or the best way to do it? So far I do not see any blisters. Gel coat looks ok.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
0207161626.jpg  

In the beginning, there was only water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-08-2016

Re: Interprotect 2000e Barrier Coat

Wow. Big project ahead for you but you will be thrilled when you are done. Heard great things about 2000e. Don't skimp on the number of coats suggested to save money. Do it once and never worry about it again. Please keep us posted on your progress. I wish I were digging into a big project like that right now. Good luck and have fun and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #3 of 46 Old 02-08-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Wow. Big project ahead for you but you will be thrilled when you are done. Heard great things about 2000e. Don't skimp on the number of coats suggested to save money. Do it once and never worry about it again. Please keep us posted on your progress. I wish I were digging into a big project like that right now. Good luck and have fun and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am having fun, and it is a lot of work. I had 9 distinct coats on the bottom, got the first 2 layers of ablative coat off fast with 80 grit, but then hit the barrier coat- that gummed up even 40 grit paper quick so I went with a drag scraper. The scraper got off the barrier coat and next 3 layers of soft paint, but tremendous effort, and had to sharpen the scraper blade about every 5 minutes with a 4 inch grider. So what you see the hull mostly covered with is a layer of some type of white tie coat or hard paint followed by a soft layer then a tie coat and then a final soft layer- I went after these final 4 layers with 40 grit on a 6 inch random orbital sander, and I thought I could strip it fast- but no, it is a slow process. I guy working next to me says I need to use a grider, I tried my 4 inch grinder and the disc being hard would tear up the gel coat pretty easily. I will probably scrape away that top layer of white and then go at it with the 40 grit again. Good thing I got a 4 day weekend coming up.
fallard likes this.

post #4 of 46 Old 02-09-2016

We've been working on the same project this winter, although we didn't have a barrier coat to also remove. That's why we're doing it at all - to add the barrier coat. We have four hours of sanding to go and we'll be ready to start painting once the weather warms up.

You may also want to look at Pettit Protect Primer which claims to have higher solids, requiring fewer coats than the Interprotect. Some people in our club have used it and have been happy with it.

Good luck.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old 02-09-2016

An 8" with soft pad helps immensively... 36 grit, light on pressure, let the machine do the work. It takes a minute to get used to holding quite flat...moderate on speed.

2000e is a good product. Paint distributer here recommends 6 coats min. You can alternate gray and white to keep track of where you are.

Must recoat while still tacky...sticky to touch, no paint on finger. In Florida this is around 40 min...sometimes less. At 26' WL...a bit more than a foot a minute for seven coats...Two people works best...not as hectic and you have a minute for a drink of water...put first coat of bottom on while tacky as well or its rinse and sand.

Looking at the picture of your boat...Claret with white...S&S...looks much like my boat when I got it....well mine was shiny until clearcoat failed...all better in offwhite now.

Good luck!
watchpocket and fallard like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to captjcook For This Useful Post:
casey1999 (02-09-2016)
post #6 of 46 Old 02-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
....I had 9 distinct coats on the bottom, got the first 2 layers of ablative coat off fast with 80 grit, but then hit the barrier coat- that gummed up even 40 grit paper quick so I went with a drag scraper. The scraper got off the barrier coat and next 3 layers of soft paint.....
Are you saying the original barrier coat was not applied to the gelcoat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 46 Old 02-09-2016

Casey,
I've used the 2000 on 3 boats the first a blistered bottom the other two so they wouldn't. Years ago Interlux use to have work shops if they still do go to one it takes all the guess work out. Next best thing is read all THEIR literature and adhere to it. They are the only one here with a horse in the race and none of the yahoos on here know any better than the instructions on the can!(including me)
Adhesion to the bottom is all in how clean the bottom is and reading what you wrote have you looked into maybe having it soda or walnut shell blasted? Around here (New England) a 32 foot boat would be about 1200 well worth it just in the Advil savings alone. Bringing it down to the glass putting a coat of the polyester stuff interlux sells, you can't get any better a base, piece of mind and no questions.
Then perp and apply the 2000 the exact way interlux says Time and temp are crucial, a thermometer and clock are part of the tool chest. A chemical and mechanical bond is what you want, try to stay away from sanding between coats use the type roller they say to use if you're going for a speedy bottom get a fluid thickness gauge to insure you achieve total barrier thickness when using the foam rollers.
Thickness of the barrier is key, too little you get wet too much probably you'll end up with adhesion problems between coats but if you do what interlux says you'll be okay.
One of the bottoms I did 15 years after doing it, it was still good and when it sold the surveyor said the bottom was perfect. I sent interlux a thank you note.
good luck
casey1999 and seabeau like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to rckfd For This Useful Post:
casey1999 (02-09-2016)
post #8 of 46 Old 02-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
...looked into maybe having it soda or walnut shell blasted?...
I did the same last summer. In hindsight, I should have it soda blasted. I will never ever do this job again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
...Must recoat while still tacky...sticky to touch, no paint on finger. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
...A chemical and mechanical bond is what you want
Please pay attention to the instructions.

The first coat of bottom paint must be applied when the last coat of IP2000 is thumb-tacky ready to achieve a chemical bond

But the overcoat time for IP2000 to IP2000 is 6 months!

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20141215.pdf
post #9 of 46 Old 02-09-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Are you saying the original barrier coat was not applied to the gelcoat?
Yes, I had an invoice from the PO. Invoice was from boat works in Papua New Guinea The invoice stated barrier coat was applied, then the ablative bottom paint. When I bought the boat, I did not have much time, so I just did some rough sanding with 80 grit and put on another layer of ablative bottom paint. Now I have decide to remove all the bottom paint to gel coat. I found the barrier coat under the ablative bottom paint applied in New Guinea, under that were various layers of ablatives and what may have been tie coats. The barrier coats and tie coats are some type of material that is like plastic. It gums up sanding disc easily, and when I scrape it, it comes off in flexible shavings.

post #10 of 46 Old 02-09-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I did the same last summer. In hindsight, I should have it soda blasted. I will never ever do this job again.

Please pay attention to the instructions.

The first coat of bottom paint must be applied when the last coat of IP2000 is thumb-tacky ready to achieve a chemical bond

But the overcoat time for IP2000 to IP2000 is 6 months!

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMData...Y+20141215.pdf
Unfortunately here in Hawaii, no one soda or even walnut blast. A guy who apparently does sand blast and water sand blast left his card on my windshield (Parked next to the boat) that advertised sand blasting. As I understand, sand blast is bad news for fiberglass.

I did read the overcoat time for IP2000 to IP2000 is 6 months. So say you wait to long and the interprotect is hard, do you need to wash the amine blush and also sand, or just apply another coat? I have the instructions from interprotect and it is not clear. Here is the instruction:
"If the primer cures hard before it is overcoated, an additional coat of Interprotect 2000E can be applied, or the primer can be allowed to cure, and sanded with 80 grade (grit)"

Last edited by casey1999; 02-09-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in