Headsail sheets - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-22-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Headsail sheets

After you are done sailing for the day, do you coil up your sheets and store them at the bow pulpit to keep them from laying on the deck getting stepped on and gathering dirt? Do you worry that the headsail might unwrap itself in heavy winds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

Re: Headsail sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
After you are done sailing for the day, do you coil up your sheets and store them at the bow pulpit to keep them from laying on the deck getting stepped on and gathering dirt?
No.
Quote:
Do you worry that the headsail might unwrap itself in heavy winds?
In 3 hurricanes and one tropical storm, the only damage to boats I've seen at my marina was due to peoples' headsails unrolling and flogging themselves to shreds. When you roll up the jib, be sure you keep a little tension on the sheet while you're rolling it up, to ensure that the roll will be tight. Cleat the furling line properly. I have seen many experienced sailors who either don't know how to properly cleat a line, or who don't bother. Sometimes they just throw a loose cleat hitch on it. If you expect a major storm, either strip off the sail, or at least wrap an extra halyard around it in a spiral the opposite way from the way it's furled, to prevent the wind from tugging an edge loose. If I've done those things, then I don't worry about it.
BarryL and oysterman23 like this.
post #3 of 31 Old 02-22-2016
Crealock 37

Dock

I do not store them at the bow. I leave the sheets rigged, coiled and hung from the lifeline at the cockpit.

I do that to keep better tension on the sheet to prevent wind from unfurling the sail.
brokesailor and MedSailor like this.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

Another thing I see are those Flemish cute spirals made from tails. They lie flat so collect dirt and water doesn't drain. Better to make figure 8s or get the twist out and just dump the line. Ugly but better for that expensive line.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

For me it depends on how long the boat will be sitting, anything more than a few days they come off and the cover gets hoisted over the headsail. IF it was going to be a few weeks I'd completely remove the sails, mostly because of spiders. Spider crap is nasty stuff to get off sails.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Another thing I see are those Flemish cute spirals made from tails. They lie flat so collect dirt and water doesn't drain. Better to make figure 8s or get the twist out and just dump the line. Ugly but better for that expensive line.
... and those nice tidy 'coils' are, coincidentally, considered to be ideal 'toilets' by any otters that may hang around your dock. Perfect little piles nicely centered

We take several turns around the furled jib, then add enough tension against the cleated furling line to keep the sheets off the deck. Our sheet length is such that there's no real 'tail' leftover to worry about at that point.

For the serious offseason we take the jib off the furler and store sheets below. If we get lucky enough to get away, we'll rig the boat to go, then de rig the headsail again at the end of the day.

March thru October we leave her ready to rumble..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

We put a couple of turns of line around the furled jib and leave the sheets tensioned on the self tailing winches. I've seen a number of furling jibs shredded when left with a piece of sail exposed enough to be caught by a squall.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #8 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

Hey,

As others have mentioned I leave the sheets run back to the cockpit (snugged up on the self tailing winches). I also tie a small line around the furled headsail so that even if the furling like breaks the sail can't unroll.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

Had some 50 kts. winds here a couple weeks ago and there must have been a dozen sails shredded, a friend sent me a photo of a Catalina 309 that was sitting broadside to the winds and it shredded the headsail AND the inmast main. People get REAL complacent about the weather in San Diego.
I coil the sheets on the bow pulpit when away from the boat for more than a day, besides measures others have mentioned I've recently started using a jib sleeve from ATN that also prevents unfurling.

"Just call me TB"
post #10 of 31 Old 02-22-2016

"I have seen many experienced sailors who either don't know how to properly cleat a line, or who don't bother. Sometimes they just throw a loose cleat hitch on it."

What is the proper way to cleat a line? I thought it was by tying a cleat hitch?

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in