Can I raise 1/2" anchor chain by hand? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: is 1/2" chain too heavy to hoist up by hand? i'm 25 6'2" and 180 lb
yes 12 52.17%
no 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 02-23-2016

Dock
Re: Can I raise 1/2" anchor chain by hand?

You are 25, 6'2vans 180 pounds?

Yes, u can do it. Your arms will be longer but chicks dig that...
ambianceack likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 02-23-2016
Old enough to know better

If your boat is not seaworthy it may well be better to put her up on the hard where you can do work properly lots of old wooden boats sink every year creating navigation hazards. Then get a chain anchor that will suit the long term use of the boat. Don't just keep your boat out in an anchorage because it is free. Anchors are not designed for long term storage of a boat storms, tides and currents can make them constantly reset and you can easily drift into another boat or the shore. Moorings are designed (especially proper iron mushroom anchors) for long term storage, and will stay put no matter how many times the boat drifts around it. Moorings are designed to be pulled from any angle, where anchors are not. Proper tool for the proper job. For long term storage I doubt it matters what size chain you use, sure the old timers say it is chain but they are also often the boats that sink. My suggestion is get a proper mooring, rent a slip or have the boat hulled out. Not likely what you want to hear though and if you don't I hope for the boats around you that your insurance is paid and up date.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #13 of 44 Old 02-23-2016

1/2-inch galvanized chain tips the scales at nearly 2.7-pounds per foot - that's pretty damned heavy when you add the weight of a 45-pound anchor to the end of it. This is compounded by 20 to 50 pounds of mud, windy, nasty weather, etc...

I have a 33-foot Morgan Out Island, I use 1/4-inch bbb galvanized chain, a 45 pound plow anchor and never have any problem holding the boat on most bottoms. A few years ago, that chain began getting heavier, or I got older, so I added an electric windlass - best thing I ever did when it comes to anchoring.

Good luck, young man,

Gary

post #14 of 44 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristtaney View Post
When wind is blowing and your dragging down on a busy anchorage they don't quite as expensive.
well I see a lot of them priced at around 1000 dollars used. And that's what my boat cost including an outboard motor. what could I expect to reasonably pay for a 50-100 lb?
for example

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bpo/5456540110.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/bpo/5438870775.html

Last edited by sailornoob; 02-23-2016 at 03:47 PM.
post #15 of 44 Old 02-23-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailornoob View Post
well I see a lot of them priced at around 1000 dollars used. And that's what my boat cost including an outboard motor. what could I expect to reasonably pay for a 50-100 lb?
for example

Fortress FX-125 Anchor

Fortress FX 125 Anchor Like Brand New no pitting, w/ bag yacht boat
Those are great secondary anchors, but not what I would want to leave my boat hooked up to. they are known for not resetting if they drag. I would look at the new generation of anchors, hold way better than the heavy older style. Say a Manson Supreme or something like that.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...6117&id=901954

this would be more than big enough, but you really should be putting in a mooring, if in only 10 foot of water perhaps one of the screw down type like the Helix but that will entail making sure you have the correct permits. But a wood boat is likely going to need to come out of the water to really do work on the hull. And all wooden boats need work done on the hull.
sharkbait likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #16 of 44 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Those are great secondary anchors, but not what I would want to leave my boat hooked up to. they are known for not resetting if they drag. I would look at the new generation of anchors, hold way better than the heavy older style. Say a Manson Supreme or something like that.

Manson Supreme Anchor - 45 Lbs

this would be more than big enough, but you really should be putting in a mooring, if in only 10 foot of water perhaps one of the screw down type like the Helix but that will entail making sure you have the correct permits. But a wood boat is likely going to need to come out of the water to really do work on the hull. And all wooden boats need work done on the hull.
problem is I'm living on it right now :P but I've heard of a boatyard in fort pierce that will put her on the hard and let me live on here there while I work for 150 haul up + 150 bucks a month rent. Might do that at some point. in the spirit of the carribean i might find an island where work can be done and put her up on a beach while camping under some palm trees nearby XD
post #17 of 44 Old 02-23-2016

I'd take it to Fort Pierce that way you can get the help you need. The water is cold in the Beaches on that other shore!...Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #18 of 44 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
I'd take it to Fort Pierce that way you can get the help you need. The water is cold in the Beaches on that other shore!...Dale
unfortunately the motor is underwater. it fell in during a storm. I am still diving for it. two stroke so if recovered it might be ok. But the inboard is totally stuck, and i wouldn't trust the current rigging or stepping under sail. unfortunately she is somewhat stuck with no propulsion I'm casually looking for another more powerful outboard, but towing is way too expensive.
post #19 of 44 Old 02-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailornoob View Post
unfortunately the motor is underwater. it fell in during a storm. I am still diving for it. two stroke so if recovered it might be ok. But the inboard is totally stuck, and i wouldn't trust the current rigging or stepping under sail. unfortunately she is somewhat stuck with no propulsion I'm casually looking for another more powerful outboard, but towing is way too expensive.
AwHa! I think we have the problem crystallized. You have a shipwreck at anchor. Buying a new chain and anchor will not solve your problem. I suggest getting another sailor out there to look at your boat before you try anything else....
Preferably one that is free.
sharkbait, Faster and Barquito like this.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
post #20 of 44 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
AwHa! I think we have the problem crystallized. You have a shipwreck at anchor. Buying a new chain and anchor will not solve your problem. I suggest getting another sailor out there to look at your boat before you try anything else....
Preferably one that is free.
unfortunately you are kind of accurate i guess. with no propulsion at the moment i am dead in the water. luckily i am currently moored very well. but i do need to give that one up. regardless i need a large anchor to keep the boat in place until refitting can be done.

Tags
anchor , anchor line , chain , mooring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in