Disturbing report on MANTUS and other chain hooks - Page 20 - SailNet Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 210 Old 01-27-2017

Re: Disturbing report on MANTUS and other chain hooks

I've tried several chain hooks over the years but at the encouragement of a friend ditched them for the simple, reliable rolling hitch. Quick to tie and has never failed me. Once you start using a rolling hitch, you'll find other practical uses for it on your boat too. Rolling Hitch | How to tie the Rolling Hitch | Boating Knots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 210 Old 01-27-2017

We have been using a soft shackle in lieu of our previous Mantus hook for the past few months and this is as simple and useful as it gets for connecting a bridle. Light, small, strong and comes up over the roller easily.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #193 of 210 Old 01-27-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have a few chain hooks on board but my best holding and best serving bridle affixment to my chain has been a 3 strand line with rolling hitch centered on line , passing each end thru a hawse and secure to port and starboard bow cleats.
i have no problems weighing anchor with this in place.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #194 of 210 Old 01-27-2017
Cruiser

Practical Sailor just published the results of retesting the Mantus chain hook. [Somewhat related, they also retested some shackles, resulting in adjusting their prior recommendations...]

The Mantus outcomes were different with chain matched with the hook size for the smaller Mantus chain hook. These results also prompted Mantus to revise [lower] their published workload ratings for at least some of their chain hooks.

There are more details in the copyrighted report by practical Sailor.

FYI Bill

post #195 of 210 Old 01-27-2017
lho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Rolling half hitches work fine to attach the snubber to the chain.
Amen !

"Sailing isn't a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere.
Riding a bus isn't a sport. Why the F#%k is sailing a sport?"
(George Carlin, 2004)
post #196 of 210 Old 01-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
......cliffs notes anyone?.....
Sure thing......

1. My first Mantus hook was galvanized and very poor quality. Grind marks and flaking galvanization. I returned it.

2. My second Mantus hook is stainless and I hate it. It's too big, the plastic gate is a PITA and it won't fit through the bow roller.

3. The original Practical Sailor testing was flawed, but revealed an issue that this hook weakens the strength of the chain itself. Mantus' pushback did not addressed this issue. Rather, Mantus argues that by attaching a proper snubber, it would never put big loads on the chain in the first place and only tested how much load the hook itself can take. Don't you hate when someone doesn't actually answer the question that was asked?

4. Practical Sailor performs the test again, this time properly matching the chain and hook size, which they failed to do initially. They confirmed the hook does weaken the chain, but not as much as when the hook is too small for the chain. However, since the Mantus design does allow for an undersized hook to actually fit a larger chain, that's a serious design flaw IMO.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #197 of 210 Old 01-28-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
4. Practical Sailor performs the test again, this time properly matching the chain and hook size, which they failed to do initially. They confirmed the hook does weaken the chain, but not as much as when the hook is too small for the chain. However, since the Mantus design does allow for an undersized hook to actually fit a larger chain, that's a serious design flaw IMO.
It should be added that the lifting industry specifically designs hooks such that it is impossible to fit a mismatched chain. Mantus failed to do that, even though it is much less likely that their target customers (random sailors) even know about there could be a problem with chain size compared to the trained professionals in the lifting industry.

[Sailing is truly educational: Before reading about this, I did not even know there is something called the 'lifting industry']
post #198 of 210 Old 01-28-2017

To be fair to Mantus, how many sailors have multiple sizes of chain they want to use with a given hook? I also credit them not only for revising their strength ratings down but also for their lengthy description of how they came up with their original ratings and why and how they downgraded them.

Disclaimer: I own a Mantus anchor and like it, but I paid full price for it and I have no financial interest in the company. I've posted my complaints about their anchor publicly before.
post #199 of 210 Old 01-28-2017

Just for reference:

* Have rolling hitches ever slipped? Yes. Several well-known and well-published cruisers no longer use them, because they have experienced slipping. I have pull-tested rolling hitches (multiple sizes) and found they slip at 20-40% of chain BS. If you have test data showing a rolling hitch holding more than 50% BS, please share it.

* Has there be a report of a Mantus Hook Failing or bending ion the field? No, and I don't really expect one. The Wichard hook is known to distort, but in equivalent sizes it is much weaker.

* Is there a commercially available, marine, locking hook that is as strong as the chain and does not weaken it? Not that I am aware of. Soft shackles and prusiks tied from Dyneema.

Seems like a lot of stone throwing at one guy, to me. The perfect hook does not yet exist, and you are all thus challenged to go out and build it. As for me, I have several solutions that I am happy with, all of them locking, all of them stronger than the snubber, a most of them as strong as the chain.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #200 of 210 Old 01-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
The perfect hook does not yet exist, and you are all thus challenged to go out and build it.
As far as I'm concerned, I've done this - a soft shackle has been working perfectly doing all the things that were never quite right with the Wichard chain grip, the Mantus hook, carabiners, rolling hitches, open chain hooks, and a myriad of other things we have tried.

I can't see any downside - it is strong, it doesn't slip, it is easy to put on and take off, it allows the bridle to come up over the roller, it never distorts or binds, and my biggest fear of it chafing seems to be completely unfounded as we have been dragging it over sand, rubble and rocks and coral for the past 2 months and it looks like new.

Mark
pdqaltair and RegisteredUser like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in