Conversion of a Kenyon 206 Alcohol stove to Kerosene - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter

Conversion of a Kenyon 206 Alcohol stove to Kerosene

I figured I would post this here since when I was initially looking for details on this job it was tough to find a lot of info on it. Hopefully this will be of some use to another one of us down the road.

In a nut shell, you are basically replacing both of the burners which are for all intents and purposes "the stove" the rest of the actual stove is either structural bits holding things together, stuff that holds the frying pan above the burner or the tank and pump which provides pressurized fuel to the system. The tank and pump don't care a bit what kind of fuel you feed them, they would be just as happy pumping Gatorade as Alcohol or Kerosene so nothing of note is needed on them.

The burners I used were Patria 207s that I got off of Ebay. You can use Optimus/Svea burners, Patrias which are Portuguese copies of the Optimus/Svea burners, or you can use Indian made clones of the Patrias which are apparently usually just fine as well. Once you get your burners, all you really need to do is figure out how to get the fuel to them. The original alcohol burners had a handy compression fittings on the bottom while the Patrias had a less handy M14.5 x 0.75 threaded bottom which required me to manufacture something for it to screw into. I had to order a special tap from China as it's certainly not a common size then I used my lathe to adapt some sort of gas fitting from the cheapy bin at the hardware store. One side tapped with the goofy M14.5 threads, the other simply tapped 1/4 inch pipe thread. Note that I used a lathe because I have a lathe, this could have easily been accomplished with far more basic tools. From there, I just plumbed everything up with copper tubing about like the alcohol burner originally was and that was that.

Here's some pics of the process.

Original burner next to the replacement Patria

Close up of the top of the Patria

Original configuration top

Original configuration bottom

Facing off random brass thingy out of the sale bin at the hardware store to adapt

Drilling out random cheap brass thingy to thread onto the Patria burner

Threading thingy

Thingy installed

Tubing ran via thingy to burners.

Burner installed

Pumped up checking for leaks

Last edited by Aswayze; 03-26-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Correcting image links and fixing grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Conversion of a Kenyon 206 Alcohol stove to Kerosene

Initially I had some issues. The stove seemed to be sending in a lot more fuel than it should and the air flow was just not correct. I hopped over to the Classic Camp Stoves forum and consulted the guys there and it seemed like the most likely issue was incorrect jetting.

Happens a buddy of mine at the boat yard has a tabletop model Kero stove fitted with the same burner so I jimmied the locks on his boat and stole a jet out of his to compare with what was in mine. The jet on the left is what was in mine, the one on the right was what was in his. Now armed with the root cause of my problems, I went over to Tilly Lamps and Stoves and ordered up a new set of jets for mine.

New jets showed up today and after install we are cookin with Kero!

All in all, the actual conversion work was pretty simple and I think the payoff is quite worth it. I much prefer cooking with a fuel that actually has some energy in it, the heat output is night and day different and the fuel consumption should be much better as well.

If you are thinking of doing the same, I recommend it entirely.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-25-2016

Nice job.

Nice posting.

Nice stove.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"

post #4 of 20 Old 03-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
Initially I had some issues. The stove seemed to be sending in a lot more fuel than it should and the air flow was just not correct. I hopped over to the Classic Camp Stoves forum and consulted the guys there and it seemed like the most likely issue was incorrect jetting.

Happens a buddy of mine at the boat yard has a tabletop model Kero stove fitted with the same burner so I jimmied the locks on his boat and stole a jet out of his to compare with what was in mine. The jet on the left is what was in mine, the one on the right was what was in his. Now armed with the root cause of my problems, I went over to Tilly Lamps and Stoves and ordered up a new set of jets for mine.

New jets showed up today and after install we are cookin with Kero!

All in all, the actual conversion work was pretty simple and I think the payoff is quite worth it. I much prefer cooking with a fuel that actually has some energy in it, the heat output is night and day different and the fuel consumption should be much better as well.

If you are thinking of doing the same, I recommend it entirely.
Great job! I was lucky that my stove+oven already was converted. Kero is the perfect, safe fuel for boats.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-25-2016
One of None

Cost, if you include the labor would pass or be equal to a new stove is my guess. nice job!.. and I know about the gas jets and burners could never burn kero or diesel. the new burners heat the fuel to gasify it.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #6 of 20 Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter

Not even close. Even buying the more expensive Patria burners I am still into this for less than 200 and that's with buying new jets, tooling etc.

Not likely to find any cooker I would use for that little.

Labor is free if you take the time to learn skills rather than paying someone else for them. Generally speaking, where there is a will, there is a way.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-26-2016

Nice write-up.

For anyone else interested in burning kero in an alcohol stove, I can confirm it is a great upgrade. I have a Kenyon Mariner upgraded in similar fashion. Here are some further ideas.

1. Classic Camp Stoves / spiritburner com has a wealth of info and stove hobbyists very willing to help. You might even get someone to sell you a converted stove, as I did. Some of these guys own dozens of stoves, and kero-converted Kenyons seem to be very popular. The fellow who sold me mine sold me the converted complete stove and included some spare parts, all for $125.

2. An alcohol burner cannot burn kero but a kero burner can burn alcohol. I watch boat Stoves on EBay closely and perhaps one in twenty "alcohol" stove is actually fitted with kero burners. I assume the stove OEM just got a deal on a batch of kero burners because they are labeled as alcohol stoves. Those are the ones to buy, most go for under $100, sometimes way less.

3. Kero burners can flip between alcohol and kero with a simple switch of the jet. The OP provided a source.

4. Kero burners differ from alcohol burners in the underside piping, kero burners have more u-shaped piping because kero requires more intense pre-heating to vaporize the fuel. Look at the OP's side by side photo to see the differences in the undersides.

Last edited by hriehl1; 03-26-2016 at 09:03 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter

Good info!

In fact, it seems that the burners I got were actually set up for Alcohol the way I got them so I can vouch for the jet swapping. It would have been delightful to have just lucked into an alcohol cooker that just happened to already have the right burners on it, that would have made this about a $10 5 minute conversion!
post #9 of 20 Old 09-10-2016 Thread Starter

Update:

After a summer of use I must report that I am still quite pleased with the results I have been getting from this guy. It lights easily, cooks well, and has had no mishaps at all. If you are considering this route, go for it! You will have no regrets.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-07-2019

Hey thanks for a really great post. I recently was given an Ericson 32-2 which has an old 70s GalleyMaid stove in there, I want to convert it over to Kerosene and I found this post very useful: Quick question though: do you have any experience converting the oven burners over? I know Kerosene oven burners are harder to come by then camping stove-top burners. Do you, or anyone else know where I might find the right piece? I love cooking and definitely want a working over as well. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in