Tear on the dodger window - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Tear on the dodger window

I have a 3" tear of the vinyl on the dodger. Is there a way to repair without replacing the entire window? I was thinking of a vinyl patch. But. What gauge is the dodger vinyl normally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-26-2016

Re: Tear on the dodger window

a patch won't look good, better to get it replaced, it shouldn't be too expensive
Gladrags1 likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-26-2016

I'm not positive, but I believe it can be repaired with Ethylene-Dichloride. It works very, very well on many acrylic plastics and it's very easy to apply. Just hold the two edges together, place a couple drops on the tear, and hold for about 5 minutes, which is the drying and curing time. Can't hurt to try.

Gary
brokesailor likes this.

post #4 of 27 Old 03-26-2016

Quote:
I'm not positive, but I believe it can be repaired with Ethylene-Dichloride.
Where do you get ethylene dichloride? Is there a brand-name product you can find in stores?
JV
post #5 of 27 Old 03-26-2016

Replace it. Not that expensive. I had all the windows in mine replaced, plus replaced the zippers plus completely restitched for $300.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-26-2016
Master Mariner

We got several plastic glues and tested them on the some dodger window plastic we bought from a canvas shop when that happened to us. We had a split about 4" long, in the corner of one of the three front windows. I think we settled on a 2 part clear epoxy and we glued a patch on which has held for several years. It isn't pretty, but it isn't eye catching either.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 27 Old 03-27-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

How old is the canvas

If it were me I would replace it with Strataglass. Donna is making our new dodger right now. Our last one she made is 8 years old. The glass looks new while the sumbrella canvas has seen its better day. Use the imar protectant religiously on the glass on both sides and never use anything butter water and a soft cotton or microfiber cloth. We keep a spray bottle on board for water just to clean the glass.

A patch will hold for a while but you'll never truly be happy with it and eventually replace it., so might as well do it now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 27 Old 03-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I have a 3" tear of the vinyl on the dodger. Is there a way to repair without replacing the entire window? I was thinking of a vinyl patch. But. What gauge is the dodger vinyl normally?

If it tore it is because the vinyl is shot.

Most likely the products is 20-30 gauge Regalite. If you want to save a buck, sew it in yourself. You should probably just do them all while you are at it and be done for 10 years.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #9 of 27 Old 03-27-2016 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

FYI the dodger is 4 years old.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-27-2016

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

My dodger windows are sewn in with two rows of stitches with the vinyl on the inside of the dodger. They are not hard to replace at all. Here is how I do it.

1. Rip out the outside row of stitches leaving the window secured by the inner row of stitches.
2. Cut away the outside of the existing window close to the inner row of stitches.
3. From new vinyl cut out a slightly oversized window and place it over the existing window on the same side of the dodger as the existing window.
4. Sew the new window in place stitching where the outside row of stitches previously were.
5. Rip out the inside row of stitches that are holding the old window in place and remove the old window.
6. Sew a new inside row of stitches in the new window.
7. Trim the oversize new window to the outside row of stitches.

This method preserves the size and shape of the dodger.
Thinner vinyl is easier to handle than thick.
It is easier to sew four separate straight lines of stitches than one continuous box when you are positioning the huge thing on your sewing machine.
In my case the adhesive from double sided tape messes up the vinyl surface, so it is not useful.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in