2Likes
  • 1 Post By DonScribner
  • 1 Post By fallard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Deep Blue Crush

Anchor solution

Hi ,

My boat is going through the spring projects, some refitting, few additional "cosmetics", full cleaning etc.
One of them is the anchor, I am not comfortable with the anchor system.
The pictures will be self explanatory.
I am not sure why the previous owner decided on this system.

Tip of the bow, he cut it open with the vberth.
On top of the usual place where the chain should go, a large bollard (I think thats the name) is attached, half on the hatch, have on the deck.
The anchor chain sits in a box on the deck, that seem to me a safety hazard and really not practical at all.

I want to get the system back as it should be, as I have seen on other boats I sailed.

1. Redo the little wall separating the vberth area from the tip of the bow.
2. Move the bollard towards the mast a little, so that I can open the hatch and redo that with proper hinges and closing system.
3. Get the chain to stay there full time.

Any reason why these cant be done? shouldnt be done?
Another idea?

Deep Blue Crush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

Re: Anchor solution

It looks to me that the PO was looking at storage space inside. It probably made perfect sense to him at the time and truly solved a problem, otherwise he wouldn't have invested so much time, and money, into it. From my point of view, and I believe yours as well, this solution is, in a word, numb. Funny part is, this is the way my Lancer is set up; a storage area in the bow where the anchor locker should be. I keep my rode wound around the same plastic spool that is came on and stuff it back into that storage spot when not in use. Its a pain in the transom but mainly when stowing the anchor. To "fix it" I'd do as you intend, but keep in mind that when that hatch becomes operational, you now have a great spot for water to enter. The watertight anchor locker liner looks to be removed. Looks like you'll need a couple of horn cleats too.

What a tangled mess they make, when clueless hands doth renovate.
oysterman23 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-10-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Deep Blue Crush

Thank you Don.
Truth be told, I am clueless too, but common sense is common sense. My womanly hands wont try to attempt to fix this totally alone. I will surely end up doing something probably even dumber.
I want to know what direction I go and then I will get someone to help me so that I get it done and learn too.

The anchor locker area will indeed have the water issue. How is that fixed usually so that water doesnt just stays in there, its impossible that it wont get in, in a rainy day, or a more choppy water, even if its a little, not good for the chain. I did handle a very rusted chain once and that was really bad. Are there some sort of "holes" made at the bottom of the locker?
I know everyone is very much into "no holes the hull", but there must be a way to overcome the water stagnating there.

Deep Blue Crush

post #4 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

We had a similar situation on our last boat.. and opening in the forward bulkhead and just a small deck hawse fitting for the rode. In addition, the forepeak drained to the bilge.

We added a floor (Fiberglassed into the triangle of the bow at an appropriate height, sloping down towards the stem) and drilled a drain hole through the stem. The floor had a 3 inch curb aft to ensure any stray water couldn't find it's way into the boat. We then added a tight fitting dropboard onto the forward face of the bulkhead. We also had to cut the deck lid out of the exisiting deck, you won't need to do that, just 'free' the original and restore it.

We then covered the bulkhead cutout with another (nice, varnished) drop board on the aft face. This cleaned up the area and allowed us to maintain access from below if we needed it. The system looked and worked fine. Hopefully this sketch will help imagine it.

If you open the deck up first, you can add the floor from above, and seal the bulkhead opening entirely, then all you need is the decorative cover board for the hole in the bulkhead in the V berth area

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-10-2016 at 09:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-10-2016)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Deep Blue Crush

@Faster
Thats very helpful indeed, thank you!
There is a man at the marina, he built his own 48 feet boat with a double hull (double hull wall fiberglass and wood (?)) , looking at his boat, I think I can trust his skills enough that he can help me to actually do this, as in literally doing it.

Deep Blue Crush
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

My anchor locker drains into the bilge via a length of 1/2-inch PVC pipe at the base of the locker that leads to the forward portion of the bilge beneath the vee berth. Never had a problem.

Good luck,

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
paikea (04-11-2016)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We had a similar situation on our last boat.. and opening in the forward bulkhead and just a small deck hawse fitting for the rode. In addition, the forepeak drained to the bilge.

We added a floor (Fiberglassed into the triangle of the bow at an appropriate height, sloping down towards the stem) and drilled a drain hole through the stem. The floor had a 3 inch curb aft to ensure any stray water couldn't find it's way into the boat. We then added a tight fitting dropboard onto the forward face of the bulkhead. We also had to cut the deck lid out of the exisiting deck, you won't need to do that, just 'free' the original and restore it.

We then covered the bulkhead cutout with another (nice, varnished) drop board on the aft face. This cleaned up the area and allowed us to maintain access from below if we needed it. The system looked and worked fine. Hopefully this sketch will help imagine it.

If you open the deck up first, you can add the floor from above, and seal the bulkhead opening entirely, then all you need is the decorative cover board for the hole in the bulkhead in the V berth area
My anchor locker is configured as Faster shows his. One advantage of the sloped floor that drains forward through a hole is that you will keep smelly stuff (mud and the things that live in mud) away from your bilge. (Gary-travlineasy- has a wash down for his anchor chain, so he probably doesn't have an issue with mud in his bilge.)

My 1/2" drain hole is shown in the thumbnail at about 15" or so above the waterline. I've never had a problem with water coming in that hole; maybe because it is so small. Nonetheless, it is an effective--but slow--drain and hasn't clogged.

Also, you might notch out the forward tip of your newly liberated hatch to act as a hawse pipe for your chain. Then you might replace your "bollard" with a cleat off the the side to tie off your anchor rode.

Good luck with this--it isn't that hard to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1230.jpg  
Faster likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-10-2016
al brazzi

What was the original configuration, there looks to be a removable triangular piece in front of the Samson post, (which is a nice one by the way) an it doesn't look big enough to get an anchor in it, the anchor was probably stored on the nose anyway. I see it is now. It looks like he opened that area up to properly reinforce the mount and that is where the hawse pipe would have been. Maybe just add a hawse pipe so the chain and rode can go in the compartment then as Faster said put a floor if there's not one there. Every Boat I have owned has a proper anchor storage area with a hinged lid and a drain I wouldn't want it open to the bilge. Maybe the lid by design needs a draining floor so if the lid is blown up in a blow you don't take on water. One more point if the removable section is (was) there to clear any tangles in the anchor line, then the opening needs to still be there through the Vee but it can have a nice cover with a few screws in it. I'm with you I wouldn't wand that plastic box on the bow like that, I'm amazed the things people think is OK on a cruiser.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

I'd definitely recommission the original opening anchor locker lid rather than go to a hawse pipe type of set up. They are simply too slow and awkward when stowing the rode on retrieval.

The Friendship 28 was set up with a good locker from the factory (at least at deck level) so the OP is half way there already.

The Samson post (yes, a nice one) seems a bit of overkill to me, but could be moved a bit if keeping it is desired.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 10 Old 04-10-2016

Fallard, you're right about the washdown - the slimy, gooey, stinky mud on the bottom of Chesapeake Bay sticks like glue to the anchor and chain and without the washdown the anchor locker would be a disaster. Love my washdown system, and it's great for when I scrub down the boat and I'm anchored up in some remote cove.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in