severe deck crazing repair cost - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 04-18-2016

Re: severe deck crazing repair cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Rich... good article but how does this pertain to this 1999 Pearson? I'm sure Pearson would have resolved these issues a long time ago... or maybe they haven't and all these Pearson boats are suspect for this poor gel coat application? I really don't believe this but I'm no expert here. It is up to the OP to determine if this particular Pearson is worth the investment of his time or the resources to completely remove the gel coat (not really required) or simply sand, primer, paint the deck and get 'use' out of this vessel.
The Pearsons were indeed 'masters' of FRG construction. The gelcoat on most Pearsons was quite thin.
Nevertheless, if gelcoat (porosity) isn't constantly 'sealed' with wax, the wax 'stripped' off occasionally, the boat is kept in high UV areas (FL, Gulf Coast, etc.) .... such alligatoring and lifting is the probable endpoint of most un-cared for gelcoat, .... and most LPU and '2 part' catalyzed paints too.

The secret for longevity of gelcoat seems to be regular waxing and polishing to remove the surface oxidation, and occasional flat sanding and power buffing .... but not so aggressively so as to 'hog down' into that 20-30 mill gelcoat thickness. Oxidation of such coatings is most probably an exponential process, unless the oxidation is retarded or removed when its still minor.
To me, 'alligatoring' is a severe example of an oxidation process - with both gelcoat and with 'paint'.

FWIW - I had a 1970s Pearson, the gel regularly 'maintained', and the boat still looked show-room new when I sold it 25 years later.
guitarguy56 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-18-2016

Primekote and a couple of cans of Petit or your favorite deck paints are really inexpensive (under $80) and lots of time sanding on ones part to obtain something of a decent deck without all the crazing. It may not last the lifetime of the boat but if it lasts 3-5 years definitely worth the effort. Whether it adds 'value' to the boat probably not... it will be up to the surveyor to see the crazing beneath the deck paint if it doesn't show up, of course a good surveyor will spot this defect in the gel coat?
post #33 of 36 Old 04-18-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock

An old enough (> 30 yrs) boat exposed to enough thermal cycling & UV will have gelcoat crazing. Its ugly, but only problematic in that you can get water into your cabin/deck through the cracks. Keeping the gelcoat waxed, buffed, at stable temperature in the dark may slow the craing, but is not too practical for a boat that is used in the sun.

Best solution is to remove the gelcoat, (peel it, don't grind) and then build a new surface with thin layup and fairing compound, multiple 545 primers and then Awlgrip it.

It's a major job, so for most production boats, just not worth the investment.
You should probably do your topsides as well, and by now you should have already done the bottom and barrier coated it.

Last quotes I had were ~$800/ft back in 2006 ($32k for 40' boat) with an over the winter haulout at the factory yard in Maine, and about half of that in Baddeck, NS, again with an over the winter haul and a 4 day delivery to get there.

We will probably take this on in a few years depending on the costs, and may find a yard that is less busy/inland to do the work, rather than paying for a "mast up" haul out, as you would want to remove all deck hardware anyway, and do this inside to reduce the grit in the finish.

post #34 of 36 Old 04-19-2016

I guessed I missed something here. Well, flamesuit on.

- Pearsons normally have pretty good gelcoat - and thick. Well, my 1980 Pearson does, and most others I have seen at that vintage have both quality and thickness. As RichH said, with a little love they will still look great after 30 years+.

- As for the crazing, a lot depends on what you want to do. And how long you want it to last. I did a job a few years back on a Santana 22, loads of crazing, in some places actual cracks down to the 'glass. But the gelcoat was well adhered. So I gave it a rough sanding, a thorough cleaning, filled holes, and put on 2 coats of Primekote (light sanding between) and 2-3 coats of Perfection. It's been a few years, and it still looks fabulous (apart from some slightly imperfect painting in parts!!)

- I love nonskid. Buy nonskid paint - I have had good results with Interdeck on a number of boats - fills cracks, does not have to be that level as you don't need a gloss finish. So slop it on and replace as necessary.

Now if you have a heritage boat you want to keep for 20+ years - or if you have unlimited funds and demand perfection - this approach may not be for you. But if you want to go sailing and not spend a fortune, it'll probably look great for 5-10 years.
oldragbaggers and guitarguy56 like this.
post #35 of 36 Old 04-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post

- As for the crazing, a lot depends on what you want to do. And how long you want it to last. I did a job a few years back on a Santana 22, loads of crazing, in some places actual cracks down to the 'glass. But the gelcoat was well adhered. So I gave it a rough sanding, a thorough cleaning, filled holes, and put on 2 coats of Primekote (light sanding between) and 2-3 coats of Perfection. It's been a few years, and it still looks fabulous (apart from some slightly imperfect painting in parts!!)

...if you want to go sailing and not spend a fortune, it'll probably look great for 5-10 years.
Exactly what I was referring to...
oldragbaggers likes this.
post #36 of 36 Old 04-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post

Now if you have a heritage boat you want to keep for 20+ years - or if you have unlimited funds and demand perfection - this approach may not be for you. But if you want to go sailing and not spend a fortune, it'll probably look great for 5-10 years.
This.......

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in