What Tools Should Be On Board? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 Old 04-19-2016

Re: What Tools Should Be On Board?

All the tools it takes to completely rebuild the engine.

Works for me,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 Old 04-19-2016

Let's start with what you don't need. These are the tools you don't know how to use or functions they perform that you can't.

I have what can only be described as a very complete home workshop. There was a thread on this board several years ago in which posters declared that they had better/more tools on board than I had in my workshop! And they posted pictures. Strangely most of the pictures were snipped from websites, very few showed real-life backgrounds. One poster owned a small Tri-maran which I'm sure would have sunk if he really had the tools he said he did.

OK, so what do I do? When I bought my boat in the US and had a couple of weeks to prep her for the voyage back to NZ, there was not even one screwdriver aboard.

I went to Home Depot where I bought one of those black plastic "briefcase" tool sets for $100. To this I added two sets of open box spanners, a screwdriver set, a hacksaw, a battery drill with some drill bits, a Stilson wrench, some pliers, cutters and a vice grip, a 12v soldering iron, crimping pliers and some wire. There may have been some other bits I can't recall.

I sailed home with only those tools and honestly, it's a rare event when, even now ten years later, I have to take anything else aboard. Almost all of the jobs I do on the boat can be achieved with just them. If there is a reason to take tools from home, they always go back when the job is done.

So my advice is don't clutter your storage with tools you may use once in a blue moon. Rather use the space to store logical spare parts and materials that are hard to source away from main centres. Consider what you are likely to have to fix and tool up for that and no more.

And as with most things on this board, it depends . . . If you're day-sailing a 24ft boat around San Francisco Bay or if you're taking an aging 44ft across an ocean, your equipment requirements are likely to be a little different. If your diesel has 200 hours on it, don't carry tools needed to replace cylinder liners.

And don't be told that you need to be able to service/repair a space shuttle at sea, you don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #23 of 56 Old 04-19-2016

Hmmm, I haven't seen "corkscrew and bottle opener" mentioned ANYWHERE yet! And lack of these is more likely to cause you grief while underway than all the others!

I think a small adjustable headlamp that you fasten around your forehead is useful for shining into spaces where you're doing a job, and others must think so too as I see them sold in West Marine type stores now.
T37Chef and miatapaul like this.

post #24 of 56 Old 04-19-2016
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Why Robertson over Torx? Torx offer more points of contact to reduce stripping and seating the Torx driver in the head of a Torx screw finds it's way into the head of the bolt better in situations where you can't see it or in the dark.
Torx are far inferior to Robertson heads - Torx fill with crud easier than any other head and you need a Dentists tool to clean them out, they strip easier than any other head due to the fine fluting, there are numerous different drivers needed for all the sizes compared to the four that cover all Robertsons, etc. etc.

Torx exist for only one reason - assembly line robot screw guns because they are resistant to cam-out, but so are Robertsons and Robbies transfer torque much better than Torx.

IMO they are second only to slots as the worst screw head ever invented.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #25 of 56 Old 04-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
Hmmm, I haven't seen "corkscrew and bottle opener" mentioned ANYWHERE yet! And lack of these is more likely to cause you grief while underway than all the others!
No, those two are not part of my sailing tool kit. Those tools are on me at all times. They are included in my hiking tool kit, my bicycling tool kit, my picnic tool kit, and my backpacking tool kit. Those are on my Swiss army knife. I shower with those because I hate opening a bottle of wine or beer with a screw driver!

To paraphrase a saying we used to have in the 70's, would it be accurate to say about sailing that, "Wine will get you through a time of no wind better than wind will get you through a time of no wine"?

Last edited by midwesterner; 04-19-2016 at 05:43 PM.
post #26 of 56 Old 04-19-2016

I've been thinking about this since we're about 2 years from going cruising. Honestly, I love tools and have more then I could ever hope to stuff below. My thoughts are tools for mechanical work, tools for electrical work, tools for bright work, everyday tools like drills and drivers and then possibly some wood working tools. I gotta do some serious paring down........
post #27 of 56 Old 04-19-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Torx are far inferior to Robertson heads - Torx fill with crud easier than any other head and you need a Dentists tool to clean them out
I have dentist's scrapers in my tool kit. Very handy.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #28 of 56 Old 04-19-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

There is a huge difference between tools required by a boat going off the beaten track in the Pacific and one coast hopping around the USA with TowBoatUS on speed dial.

The coast hopper needs enough to change a belt, bleed the diesel and possibly fit an impeller. A couple of adjustable spanners and a couple of screwdrivers might do. WD 40 if it does not move and it should. Gaffer tape for the alternative.

Off the beaten track well you can't have enough and even then the one you really need is the one thing you do not have. EG I found myself with a seized starter motor which I had to remove before it could be worked on. I found that while I had 1/2 sockets and extensions to fit I needed a 3/8th set with a wobble bar to get access to one bolt.

Walking down the road to Sears or Snap On was not a viable option.
post #29 of 56 Old 04-19-2016
bell ringer

For 5 years all my tools at home have been slowly moving onto the boat due to being needed for something. This year I'm going to have to get a new tool box to hold them. I planning this year to get a larger box than have to stored in some out of the way hard to get to place, and a smaller one to hold the most common used tools.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #30 of 56 Old 04-19-2016

Vise grips (Vice grips are a sin lol.)
Duct tape.
Velcro.
Hammer.
Bigger hammer.
Copy of "How to curse in any language".

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in