Inverter problem and an unlikely fix - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

Inverter problem and an unlikely fix

After I uncorked the boat this year, I noticed that the Xantrex freedom 10 charger/inverter console wasn't working right. It wasn't showing correct information, claiming that it was in bulk charge mode when, in fact, the batteries were fully charged. Then it stopped working entirely.

I consulted with a friend who used to repair such things for a living. He told me that before I converted the unit into a spare anchor he suggested I remove it, disassemble and reassemble the electronics.

Last weekend, I did this, thinking he was crazy. Much to my surprise, it worked, and the inverter is now functioning perfectly again.

It took a couple of hours to remove the damn thing, but reseating the electronics took all of about 5 minutes. Apparently if you sail enough, things like that get loose, and it lowers the voltage just enough to make the electronics go weird or stop working.

Seeing as I work with electronics for a living, this has taught me that a marine environment causes all sorts of electronics issues you just don't see on land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Inverter problem and an unlikely fix

May I ask how large your inverter is, and what you power with it?

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2016

If you put some No-Ox-Id on the contacts before re-assembly, it'll prevent future problems.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
May I ask how large your inverter is, and what you power with it?
It's a 1000W inverter. It's for the microwave in the galley, which we never use anyway. Both the microwave and the inverter are original equipment with the boat.

Honestly, if it wasn't also the battery charger (and a very good one at that) I wouldn't have bothered fixing it.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
If you put some No-Ox-Id on the contacts before re-assembly, it'll prevent future problems.
I'll keep that in mind if this happen again. Hopefully not before I sell the boat.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
It's a 1000W inverter. It's for the microwave in the galley, which we never use anyway. Both the microwave and the inverter are original equipment with the boat.

Honestly, if it wasn't also the battery charger (and a very good one at that) I wouldn't have bothered fixing it.
Ok, just curious.

Over the years, I read about a lot of problems with these things, and I always wonder what shore side appliances people can't do without, that requires an inverter. Your circumstances make more sense.

I've installed a 750w GENERAC standalone inverter, tied directly to the house battery. It has its own 110v outlets and a USB port and does *not* tie to the boat's AC system. I use it for rapid charging of cell phones, iThings and occasional power tool use (shop vac, drill, etc)

I have a separate, Guest smart battery charger.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind if this happen again. Hopefully not before I sell the boat.
Yes, and therefor the phrase "friends don't let friends buy Xantrex"

But if you did not re-solder the joints it will likely happen again very quickly.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Hmmmmm. . . Interesting.

I have a Xantrex inverter (2500w) and a Xantrex Link 20 battery monitor in the boat and what I think is a kick-ass Xantrex battery charger which is now at home (no longer have shore power on the boat). All three have worked exactly as the manufacturer said they would and never a single glitch at any time in the ten years I've owned them.

You must have had a different experience that prompts your phrase? Maybe there is something I need to know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

But if you did not re-solder the joints it will likely happen again very quickly.
The cables weren't soldered. There was a single cable connection that looked like it was hot glued, but other than that they were standard multi-pin connections as exist in any other piece of electronics I've worked with. The connections seemed ok, but pulling and reseating them probably broke some oxidation on the connections.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
The cables weren't soldered. There was a single cable connection that looked like it was hot glued, but other than that they were standard multi-pin connections as exist in any other piece of electronics I've worked with. The connections seemed ok, but pulling and reseating them probably broke some oxidation on the connections.
I mentioned all the surface mount components. Likly some dry solder joints, or even iffy capacitors.

Xantrax issue is mostly the support or lack of it. They do seem to buy some good electronic designs though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in