Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Deale, MD
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Inverter problem and an unlikely fix
After I uncorked the boat this year, I noticed that the Xantrex freedom 10 charger/inverter console wasn't working right. It wasn't showing correct information, claiming that it was in bulk charge mode when, in fact, the batteries were fully charged. Then it stopped working entirely.
I consulted with a friend who used to repair such things for a living. He told me that before I converted the unit into a spare anchor he suggested I remove it, disassemble and reassemble the electronics.
Last weekend, I did this, thinking he was crazy. Much to my surprise, it worked, and the inverter is now functioning perfectly again.
It took a couple of hours to remove the damn thing, but reseating the electronics took all of about 5 minutes. Apparently if you sail enough, things like that get loose, and it lowers the voltage just enough to make the electronics go weird or stop working.
Seeing as I work with electronics for a living, this has taught me that a marine environment causes all sorts of electronics issues you just don't see on land.