Spreaders advice needed - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulinVictoria

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter

Dock
Spreaders advice needed

I have taken my mast down for inspection and to deal with a leak under the base. Right away I notice that one of the aluminum spreaders was fairly loose in the stainless steel spreader base. At the mast end both spreaders were wrapped with some undetermined tape plus what looks like electrical tape. It appears the electrical tape was added later. There was very little corrosion but the spreaders are a bit out of round. How tight should the spreaders be in their base? Can they be re wrapped with tape? Perhaps sleeved?
Gary
Vancouver 27 (1976)
Spirit of Cutty Sark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2016

Re: Spreaders advice needed

Spreader roots are rarely tightly 'fixed' since you need to be able to adjust the spreader tip height to bisect the shroud angles. I think the only reason to tape things up is to avoid snagging a sail while tacking, though some method of fixing the ultimate spreader tip height is usually required.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2016
Wes

Obviously Faster hit it but, make sure there isn't anything that's cracked or split. If the spreader is out-of-round, make sure it is gentle and not a dent that could cause it to collapse. (Like if it's been bent). I've seen the outboard ends with wire lashing around the shroud to keep the angle that Faster mentions and then wrapped in rigging tape. Most of the load that a spreader "sees" is in compression with the force pushing into the mast (not fore and aft)

Can you shoot some pics of the areas of concern?

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2016
Wes

Oh, and when you're looking at that leak, make sure it's not affecting the core of the deck (if the deck is cored) and repair as required. This is something a few of the Alberg folks have found.

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The plastic tape would prevent the aluminum spreader from contacting the stainless base, and preventing galvanic corrosion. Electrical tape is certainly convenient but if you can find something more durable (thin sheet plastic or even a slice of plastic soda bottle) and use that as a shim, it might be more durable.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2016 Thread Starter

Dock

Both the base and spreader look ok.See pic's. I think I will tape or perhaps get a plastic sleeves made up. I though I remember reading that it was best to have some give to protect the spreader if hit. Also coating the spreader with epoxy.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
20160421_204235.jpg   20160421_204339.jpg  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-22-2016
Remember you're a womble

My spreaders have a rubber hose at the inboard end to keep them snug, but with a bit of give.
oysterman23 likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2016
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp nesbit View Post
Both the base and spreader look ok.See pic's. I think I will tape or perhaps get a plastic sleeves made up. I though I remember reading that it was best to have some give to protect the spreader if hit. Also coating the spreader with epoxy.
1. I'd suggest butyl tape (electrical tape works just as well) although I notice in your pic that the spreader base has a hole through it, probably for a retaining wire. A loop of stainless wire thru the spreader and the base to ensure the spreader stays in place is highly recommended.

2. Don't coat the spreaders with epoxy - unless you want your guests rained on by epoxy shards for the next year or two until they shed it all and are back to normal again. Epoxy isn't UV-resistant and bare metal spreaders will be quite okay as they are.

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2016 Thread Starter

Dock

Epoxy raining from the sky sounds as if we both have read Mr Don Casey. No, I would just epoxy coat the section of aluminum that is in contact with the stainless then tape. Butyl tape/ putty is pretty soft. There is some pretty good duct tape on the market. It sounds like most do not think the loose fitting is not a problem if there as been no damage to the spreader.
Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in