Excellent Sound System - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 77 Old 05-05-2016
al brazzi

Re: Excellent Sound System

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Sure glad I spoiled myself and my audiences during the past 30 years on stage. Here's a photo of my setup just before I retired a couple weeks ago.

The photo was shot in Marathon Key City Marina Tiki Hut where I performed on Saturday nights. The sound system is a Bose L1 Compact, which provides incredible crisp, clear music and the sound is equally distributed throughout the venue. The frequency range is outstanding, yet the entire system only weighs 23 pounds and easily transported aboard my boat, along with all the other gear in the photo.

Since I've retired, I still play for my own enjoyment and still record an occasional song. Helps maintain my sanity on days when I can't get out sailing.

Hopefully, the young man asking advice will be able to solve his problem and obtain the sound quality he enjoys.

Good luck,

Gary
Gary that looks like something you retire into not out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 77 Old 05-05-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"but I cant find any car/boat stereos that have a headphone socket "
That part is probably because it is usually (always?) illegal under state DMV rules to use headphones while driving a car. Although, rear seat (headrest) entertainment systems often offer them. And IIRC, Chrysler had an in-car entertainment system that used wireless headphones...you might want to dig into that, and if it works, chase one down in the junkyards. FWIW.

I should mention, there ARE some cell phones (the HTC One M8 among them) that have some FM radio capability built in. This is rare on US phones, and for that HTC for some reason the FM radio can only play over the headphone socket, not the speakers, not the BT output.

But one option might be a cell phone that does support FM radio more fully.

Any "stereo" is going to be designed to output a strong speaker-level audio signal, which is expensive, compared to the $5 chip which is all that a Bluetooth "player" needs for putting out the low-level signal.

Somewhere out there...

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-05-2016 at 08:19 PM.
post #53 of 77 Old 05-05-2016

I also was unable to find a stereo system that could output signal to Bluetooth Speakers. All Marine/Car stereo's that I looked at only receive Music over Bluetooth from another source (Ipad/IPhone) and play it to wired speakers. I did not want to add an extra load to my electronics with a stereo system, so I put aside the 'dongle' idea. I purchased an ECOGEAR waterproof Bluetooth (~$100 - Bose would work also for more money) speaker specifically to use in the cockpit, but it can also easily be moved down below. I am not expecting fantastic sound quality, I just want some background music while I am sailing. The volume does not need to be too loud. My solution is a bit involved, but economical. I purchased a Raspberry Pi3 (Rpi) computer board ($45), it has built in Bluetooth, built in WiFi and 4 USB ports. The Rpi3 uses very little power and is run from any USB power source. I use the Scosche USB ports that plug into a 12V car type adapter. I put my music on a 16 Gb USB stick. I run a program called "Mopidy" on the Rpi, it acts as a Music Player Daemon (MPD). It builds a library of what is on my Music USB. The Rpi sits down below at the nav station (I have other uses for it), Mopidy runs in the background as a server. I can control Mopidy from an Iphone/Ipad App over the Wifi link from anywhere on the boat (mine is 35'). The MpoD app for Iphone/Ipad accesses the library from Mopidy over the WiFi link and I enter a playlist. It then send the playlist to the Rpi and it in turn sends the sound to the Bluetooth speakers. It works pretty well. I could have just sent the music from my Ipad directly to the Bluetooth speakers except I do not like Itunes and I have never been able to get Itunes to sync 16 Gb of music. I have not looked into adding radio (FM). I also have a simple Boom Box on board for that, it sits down below but it can be heard from the cockpit. You can also run a playlist for Mopidy from programs on the Rpi directly without the Iphone/Ipad link, but that gives me some flexibility.

The OP's first post was too many pages ago, so I don't remember exactly what he was looking for. But this is what I am doing. The cost is pretty low, but the technology update takes a bit of time. But I think this may be were boat electronics are going.
The Following User Says Thank You to CapnRon47 For This Useful Post:
bullseye (05-06-2016)

post #54 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post

Currently I have a FM/CD/USB/Aux/Bluetooth capable marine radio and run the bookshelf JBL speakers and a portable Bluetooth speaker (OontZ Angle) on the deck (great sounding too!) and that's all that is needed... we hook up the TV to the system and have good sound out of it too.

....!
That's all you need? How does it get the music to your BT speaker on deck from the marine radio?
cheers

Last edited by bullseye; 05-06-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling
post #55 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
That's all you need? How does it get the music to your BT speaker on deck from the marine radio?
cheers
Yes... The Kenwood marine radio has Bluetooth pairing with the Oontz Angle or other Bluetooth devices such as iphones, or other music sources... I have the Kenwood direct wired to the JBL bookshelf speakers and use an internet radio (Pandora, etc.) to stream music into the radio and out the JBL's or thru Bluetooth into the Oontz Angle Bluetooth Speakers... it's really a nice setup and not very costly (less than $150) and has excellent sound. It is a marine radio so has the conformal coating on it's circuit boards. It is USB capable so I plug in my song files straight into the unit or plug my computer/TV output into the unit and stream music out. Great little unit!

This is the model I have:

Kenwood KMR-D365BT Marine CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarguy56 For This Useful Post:
bullseye (05-06-2016)
post #56 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

So you want a regular marine radio, which you are going to have to wire and install to your boat. I guess at this point I don't understand why not then go through the extra hour of trouble dropping some line and holes for passive speakers if you're going to go THAT route. If you're going to install a system install it the way it's intended. That's too many connections that can go wrong in my mind. Passive speakers attached to the radio will use much less power and be much less frustrating to fail than a mounted radio trying to independently connect to a bluetooth speaker.

http://www.amazon.com/iFox-Creations...+speaker&psc=1

Bluetooth, Radio, can buy more than one and link them (wirelessly? Can't tell, looks like you need a wire).

There are many examples of free standing single-unit bluetooth speakers with a radio including from Bose that have an FM/AM receiver.

Use duct tape or rope you don't want to make holes.

It would be interesting to see a hard radio wired to a jack to connect to a free-standing bluetooth TRANSMITTER so that you could randomly connect other speaker devices around. But again as earlier that is getting a little complex of a system for my tastes, and an extra bob that needs it's own power, settings, button presses, and connection.

The whole thing is FAR too much trouble in my mind considering the ability of smartphones to stream and download massive amounts of data, even with small amounts of signal. Obviously that's not always a perfect solution, but nothing is.

There are cellphones that still come with FM/AM recievers installed on them and there is a movement to make sure this continues or becomes available;

Free Radio on My Phone

For what it's worth I am a musician and teacher, I've played in some major halls and done quite a few recordings of varying qualities. I'm of the opinion that all recordings are facsimiles and they need to be taken as that. It will never sound like Carnegie, so I just enjoy it for what it is. There are low quality recordings that I enjoy more than the artist live.

I use a Philips Shoqbox that I found on slickdeals.net one day. It gets plenty loud. My sound system is my phone and that. The shoqbox at full volume lasts a ridiculous amount of hours.
post #57 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post
I purchased a Raspberry Pi3 (Rpi) computer board ($45), it has built in Bluetooth, built in WiFi and 4 USB ports.
Sorry to hijack this a little bit. But I want to talk with you on what else you use your Pi for as I was planning on integrating one to systems installed on the boat for various purposes. Could you send me a PM about it, Ron?
post #58 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Don't get how it's complicated? I use the computer/TV/iphone/Pandora/etc. into the radio thru the JBL speakers when inside the boat... when outside the boat in the cockpit I use the Oontz Angle Bluetooth speaker... when I turn it on the Bluetooth in the radio (Kenwood) turns on and I listen to music this way... turn it off and the JBL speakers come on automatically... simple... no complications and added benefit is my iphone calls route to the radio as well.

Read the manual here:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima.../113BT365U.PDF
post #59 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Don't get how it's complicated? I use the computer/TV/iphone/Pandora/etc. into the radio thru the JBL speakers when inside the boat... when outside the boat in the cockpit I use the Oontz Angle Bluetooth speaker... when I turn it on the Bluetooth in the radio (Kenwood) turns on and I listen to music this way... turn it off and the JBL speakers come on automatically... simple... no complications and added benefit is my iphone calls route to the radio as well.

Read the manual here:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima.../113BT365U.PDF
I don't know of a marine or car stereo that "sends" or transmits Bluetooth audio to another device. Many units can receive it but none that I know of will send BT audio to a BT speaker because they are BT receive units. The only way to do this is with an external BT transmitter. They likely omit this feature because they want to sell you the speakers too...

I suspect your BT speaker is bypassing the stereo altogether and picking up the BT audio signal being sent by the phone.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #60 of 77 Old 05-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I don't know of a marine or car stereo that "sends" or transmits Bluetooth audio to another device. Many units can receive it but none that I know of will send BT audio to a BT speaker because they are BT receive units. The only way to do this is with an external BT transmitter. They likely omit this feature because they want to sell you the speakers too...

I suspect your BT speaker is bypassing the stereo altogether and picking up the BT audio signal being sent by the phone.
Sorry to misinform you but that is what the radio does... read the manual... it pairs to up to 10 devices... and no it is not sending the signal thru the iphone... most times it is not even connected to the radio via Bluetooth...

Last edited by guitarguy56; 05-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in