Mast dilemma - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Mast dilemma

Faster, I'm on my phone, but if you know the Pardey's ex-boat "Taleisin", then you'll see my boat. It's 95% similar.

Capta, I agree. I'm trying to get in touch with people who've worked at the yard. They have been out of been business for quite some time. That's a good starting point, true. It was that same yard however who built the mast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Don't see how any one can make an educated decision with that little of information. what is the boat made of. is it wood and you want to
be an all wood boat. why are there two spars? some one built the glass one for some reason. most likely because wood masts are a pain in the ass to paint or varnish. I take it this is not a whale blubber on the spar type of gaff rig and the PO wanted it to be easier on maintenance and look like wood. was the boat ever sailed with either of the spars? is there a designer to ask? did they design and build a fiber glass mast to be weaker then the wood one? did they design it because it would break before the wood one? most likely not and the glass one was designed to be better in all ways over the wood spar.
All good questions. Fg hull. The builder (Norwegian) traveled to the states in the 80's, learned fg tech, traveled back to Norway to build Colin Archer's in GRP. He also built about 150 of the ex boat "Taleisin" owned by the Pardey's. Sadly, the yard went bankrupt. The mast was built at the yard in the mid 90's as I'm told. The wood mast I bought and have been pampering it for several years.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
The choice of mast is not a good place for guessing. I have never seen a grp mast.
True, It's why I thought to throw the question out in here.

post #14 of 36 Old 05-20-2016
grumpy old man

I'd sit down with someone who knew how to calculate the required moments of inertia for your spar.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #15 of 36 Old 05-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'd sit down with someone who knew how to calculate the required moments of inertia for your spar.
But even with that knowledge in hand, wouldn't you need the details of the FRP mast's layup to figure out it's moments?

Maybe you can get a halfway decent guess just from its dimensions + wall thickness... They probably didn't make it out of dirty socks and old tee shirts.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-20-2016

Chris,

I am not saying it can't be done, but fiberglass is incredibly flexible stuff. Making a mast out of it is just silly on its face. To have enough stiffness the wall sections would need to be really thick, probably cored, and weigh substantially more than an aluminium, or probably even a wooden mast.

I simply can't see anyone who knows anything about fiberglass choosing it as a material, which leads me to believe that either 1) it was not made by a yard as a mast, or 2) if the designer specced it he was an idiot.

It would be like speccing a keel to be made out of styrafoam I guess you could, but why in world would you want to.

Greg
post #17 of 36 Old 05-20-2016
Old enough to know better

Use them both and convert her to a Schooner. (well there has to be a contriarian in every post right!?!?!) I would check with the orginal owner of the fiberglass seems perhaps more set up as a marconi rigged sloop rather than gaff? Or even a fractional rig?

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #18 of 36 Old 05-20-2016

there was a day when they said you can't build a stiff boat hull out of fiberglass it just will not work. I built a fly a fiber glass airplane and it is all about fiber orientation. A fiberglass mast is very doable . they were expensive to build and the resin technology was being developed at the same time as carbon fiber technology so now carbon makes more since. if they had not developed carbon fiber and had todays resins masts would be fiberglass.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #19 of 36 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Use them both and convert her to a Schooner. (well there has to be a contriarian in every post right!?!?!) I would check with the orginal owner of the fiberglass seems perhaps more set up as a marconi rigged sloop rather than gaff? Or even a fractional rig?
The mast came off a gaff rigged sister ship. With a 29' hull, schooner is out of the question . Monday, I'll try to track down the builder. He's got to still be in Norway somewhere.
post #20 of 36 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Chris,

I am not saying it can't be done, but fiberglass is incredibly flexible stuff. Making a mast out of it is just silly on its face. To have enough stiffness the wall sections would need to be really thick, probably cored, and weigh substantially more than an aluminium, or probably even a wooden mast.

I simply can't see anyone who knows anything about fiberglass choosing it as a material, which leads me to believe that either 1) it was not made by a yard as a mast, or 2) if the designer specced it he was an idiot.

It would be like speccing a keel to be made out of styrafoam I guess you could, but why in world would you want to.
It's flexible which is one of the reasons for my inquiry here.im wondering if someone has actual experience with them. It's lighter than my spruce mast I also have on hand. Using it would take away a lot of weight aloft which is like to do, but is this the answer?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in