Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 60 Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Why wouldn't you just buy rope that's fit for purpose? You CAN use virtually any rope for sheets. But why would you?
$$$

Cost is about 1/4 of the cheapest comparable rope (by specs; see the links in my earlier posts) from West Marine. Of course WM is not exactly a discounter but the difference is huge. That makes a difference when you are talking a few hundred feet of rope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

that's climbing rope 3.5% at a very light load( the weight of a person ) is telling you that it is very stretchy line good if you fall the line will give. likely 10% at 30% breaking strength
good halyard line would be less than 1% at 30% of breaking strength.
Climbing rope is also not so good for withstanding UV and salt
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

if one is looking at the dollars then you don't use prices from Worst marine and you don't over size the line just because bigger seems better and it is what you all ready have . the new line is much stronger now and can be sized smaller then in years past. compare the climbing rope to the line that you application needs. 32' cruising boat with 3/8" Sta set would be common and about $ 0.85 a foot. if you really want 1/2" its about $ 1.50 a foot

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #14 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

Dock

I bought 12mm (1/2 inch) double braid for a main hallyard. Its breaking load is 3700kgs which is 8,000 pounds. So if you're is rated 5,000pounds its , obviously, a bit less, or cheaper.
One many things: 1 product sold to at a marine store is $$$$... the same product sold inland to poor farmers is $.

Search and research well and you can save a bucket of money.

Beware those who tell you there is only one right way. "Do it properly or you will reget it" is total BS. I say: do it in a safe, affordable way. So a 30 foot cruising boat does NOT need 8,000 pound breaking load line. You could lift your whole boat up and twirl it! Also a halyard need not be zero stretch. You hoist the main. When the wind hits 20 u wind it up another 3 inches. Where's the problem?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #15 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

I think you should go of it ! Then come back and let us know how it worked out. Smart men learn from their mistakes..Wise men learn from others mistakes......Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #16 of 60 Old 05-25-2016
Banned

Though I have found cheaper prices here and there, these guys are among the best all-round value I've found...

Cajunrope.com - Home
MastUndSchotbruch and seabeau like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-25-2016 at 02:27 PM.
post #17 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

I hope you try using some of that arborist rope in a marine setting as a test to see how it works and holds up.
Can you use some for sheets and to secure your fenders and report back to us on how it does?

Everything made for marine applications seems ridiculously over priced. I understand that it has to be corrosion resistant in salt water environments, but some of the prices are crazy.

I think that you could take Walmart bottled water and re-label it "Sailor's Agua: (Specifically formulated for marine environments)" and sell it in marina stores for $7 a bottle.
seabeau and northernsquirrel like this.
post #18 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I hope you try using some of that arborist rope in a marine setting as a test to see how it works and holds up.
Can you use some for sheets and to secure your fenders and report back to us on how it does?

Everything made for marine applications seems ridiculously over priced. I understand that it has to be corrosion resistant in salt water environments, but some of the prices are crazy.

I think that you could take Walmart bottled water and re-label it "Sailor's Agua: (Specifically formulated for marine environments)" and sell it in marina stores for $7 a bottle.
It does happen of course, but the good 'marine' products are fundamentally different products. Everything from material selection to design is different on marine products, all to meet a very small market with very slow turnover. As a former marine supplier I can promise you our profit margin on marine stuff was pretty much exactly the same as it was for non marine gear, but the costs were higher.

As for this rope... There is zero need for 1/2 rope on a boat this size, the stretch is all kinds of terrible, and the strength is far lower than it should be at this size. Yes you can use it, no you shouldn't.
RichH likes this.

Greg
post #19 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
I think you should go of it ! Then come back and let us know how it worked out. Smart men learn from their mistakes..Wise men learn from others mistakes......Dale
...and inventors and explorers learn from lots of their own mistakes.
post #20 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

Sure that's why they get someone else to support them...Politics are the same!....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in