Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

Re: Can I use arborist rope for halyards and sheets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
All good points. I looked at the New England Ropes arborist site, it is this one, right?::*Teufelberger:*Arboriculture
The rope I am looking at is this ::*Teufelberger:*Braided Safety Blue

Stretch is given as 3.5% for 50-150Kg so I suppose this is static line, right?

I have currently 1/2" halyards and they are a perfect fit for winches and cleats.
The description says polyester cover and POLAMIDE core. That probably means nylon. And the breaking strength is far below even inexpensive double braid. Stretch is high for that load. I would stay away even for sheets. And would be AWFUL for halyards.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

I don't know the technical aspects of Arborist rope but unless it has similar strength/stretch characteristics to say, NER Sta-set in the same size I'd stay away from it. If you shop around (and in the offseason) you can find some good prices on Sta-Set and on Regatta braid. The other thing to consider is how it FEELS in your hand.
Personally, I'd use line that was designed for a marine application. I suspect that climbing rope of any kind has different properties.

For your halyard you could get 5/16" VPC from Defender. On sale right now for 1.01/ft. 5500lb avg. load
Or 3/8" Sta-Set for a little more but slightly less strength and a little more stretch.

CS 36M DIANTHUS
post #23 of 60 Old 05-25-2016

I'll take a smaller diam dyneema based rope, same strength, less stretch than a sta-set. Many times there is not much difference, if saying comparing 1/2" sta-set to a 3/8" dyneema cored line. With 1/4 the stretch. So when the wind pipes up, you do not have to haul in the main or jib halyard 3". maybe an inch if at all! Same with the sheets, a gust gives you speed, no heel to less heel, because the line does not stretch as much, taking the shape out of the sail.
Along with, on light wind days, the smaller diam line allows the clew to fly a bit because the wt of the bigger diam line is not holding it down, so you can get better shape out of the sail, to sail in light winds vs turning on the iron genny, or drifting backwards.......

My 02 on the subject, not that one paid for this!

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

post #24 of 60 Old 05-26-2016

the climbing rope ( Arborist rope ) with a 3.5% stretch at 300 lbs will be more like 20" that you will have to haul up when the wind pipes up.
I use 5/16" Warpspeed with the cover striped on about half of the line. the 1/4" dyneema core is good for 6200 lbs way more then is needed for a halyard on a 32' boat. the boat came with 7/16" line and it added a lot of weight and friction when hoisting the sail, the smaller line makes it very easy to hoist.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #25 of 60 Old 05-26-2016

I think you can use arborist rope for halyards and sheets.
post #26 of 60 Old 05-26-2016

As a former arborist, and rock climber, I would not suggest you use climbing line for your sailboat. While the Tru-Blue or Safety-Blue are a low stretch line(compared to rock climbing rope) there is still significant stretch. I do use my tree climbing gear, including my New Engand Rope High-vis Safety-Blue rope, to access the top of my mast. I'd use old lines as dock lines and in a pinch as anchor rode but would not even consider using it for a halyard or sheets.
post #27 of 60 Old 05-26-2016

OK, I buy cheap rope from Menards and use it on my boat. 90% of the time, it works just fine, HOWEVER one thing I discovered is that in 30 mph winds, the load on my jib sheet is high enough that the rope becomes thin. This means it does not hold its dimensions when squeezed through the jam cleats. SO you have a 1/2 inch line that under extreme load is only 1/4 inch thickness. It still held, but was a little sketchy. At 20 to 25 mph winds, it was just fine. So it really depends on what you sail in and how often.

Dave
RL 24 NEW to me April 25th 2014
AFC 17' 2+2 (sold in 2012)
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.

Last edited by Daveinet; 05-26-2016 at 08:42 AM.
post #28 of 60 Old 05-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
OK, I buy cheap rope from Menards and use it on my boat. 90% of the time, it works just fine, HOWEVER one thing I discovered is that in 30 mph winds, the load on my jib sheet is high enough that the rope becomes thin. This means it does not hold its dimensions when squeezed through the jam cleats. SO you have a 1/2 inch line that under extreme load is only 1/4 inch thickness. It still held, but was a little sketchy. At 20 to 25 mph winds, it was just fine. So it really depends on what you sail in and how often.
!!!!! That's downright scary.
SailingUphill likes this.
post #29 of 60 Old 05-27-2016

I know somebody who goes to the hardware store and buys the cheap white nylon 3 strand stuff.
Then again they haven't done an oil change since they bought the boat 10 years ago.....
Won't even go into the missing lower stay!
post #30 of 60 Old 05-27-2016

If the cost of buying the correct line is too expensive then the cost of buying the wrong line and later replacing it with the correct line will be doubly expensive. 3.5% stretch with a 50kg load is 21 inches on a 50 foot halyard.

Last edited by Shockwave; 05-27-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in