dissolving/melting polyester resin? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2016 Thread Starter

dissolving/melting polyester resin?

I have a puck from the hull of my boat in a drawer, probably when a PO installed some thru-hull somewhere. I'm curious to assess the layup of my boat so I thought why not melt or dissolve a small section of that puck to see what would be left?

Is there a prefered way of doing this? Should I dip it in a solution of potassium hydroxide or some acid and let it sit there for a few days or just melt it with a flame? Would that fuse the glass inside?

There has got to be curious sailors who have done it!! :-)

Flo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2016

Re: dissolving/melting polyester resin?

Are you trying to determine the glass to resin ratio, or the type of resin, or ????

I doubt you are going to find a solvent you want to work with that will dissolve it. Hydrofluoric and nitric acids aren't to be fooled with.

If you want the resin/glass ratio, that is typically done by burning - but you need a controlled environment and careful measurements.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2016

Grind an edge at an angle...chisel-like...sand and polish until you can see the layup. If it gets fuzzy it was a bit short of resin.

Boiling phenol might dissolve polyester...might be fun! Like Myth-Busters fun...

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell

post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2016

I was going to suggest burning it, but I have never done it so good luck. I don't think there is anything remotely safe that will dissolve the cured resin and leave just the glass. Even high strength acids I am guessing will take a lot of time, require a substantial quantity, and be very very dangerous.

Greg
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2016

I did some research and apparently Aqua Regia will dissolve cured polyester resin. It's a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid and has to be mixed just before being used. This stuff is crazy caustic, has a propensity to explode, and will dissolve your skin, the vapors will dissolve mucus membrains. Basically unless you are a chemist this stuff is a bad idea.

But it will work.

Greg
post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I did some research and apparently Aqua Regia will dissolve cured polyester resin. It's a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid and has to be mixed just before being used. This stuff is crazy caustic, has a propensity to explode, and will dissolve your skin, the vapors will dissolve mucus membrains. Basically unless you are a chemist this stuff is a bad idea.

But it will work.
LMAO. Greg - just the thing for the average hobbyist?

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #7 of 11 Old 06-02-2016

Hold my beer and watch this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 06-02-2016

Here's a fairly bombproof way to install a 'puck' inside of the hull

Testing:
• Apply water soluble 'grease' to the surface of hull ... taking great care to not include any entrapped air (bubbles) in the 'test goo' when applying. The 'test goo' should be applied in a 'conical' shape - so that the 'goo' contain no bubbles and will automatically shed any air bubbles as its depressed onto the hull surface.
• You can use 'mayonnaise', etc. as the 'test goo'; but, air bubbles will be impossible to see.
• Overlay the puck with duct tape to hold it in place.
• Hook up the puck to your 'read out' device and 'turn it on'.
• Take the boat out and over bottoms of varying depths, the deeper the better.
• If the depths are equal to KNOWN bottom depths, then proceed to permanent mounting.

Installation Preparation:
• Remove all paint and 'grime' (and any 'test goo') from the intended surface
• Lightly use an angle grinder or 'sand' the intended surface (but not deeply) ... the object is to remove any PAINT and to partly 'level' the surface (don't remove the 'curve' of hull)
• Lightly sand the face of the puck with 320 or 220 grit sandpaper

Mounting the Puck (permanently):
• Choice of 'fumed silica' thickened epoxy -OR- HigH Temp. (Clear) RTV silicone (automotive stuff) as the adhesive ... won't be totally clear but sufficient to see any air bubbles.
• Make an airless/bubble-less conical 'pile' of the final 'adhesive' --- obviously, if using a fumed colloidal silica filled epoxy you MUST be careful not to generate air bubbles when mixing. If epoxy, do not use a 'thick' amount as it may go 'exothermic' and create ..... bubbles; use a SLOW cure epoxy; and, have a bag of ice handy if it starts to 'kick' too fast (foam out).
• Very carefully push the puck into the 'pile', -Insure the 'entire' bottom surface of the puck is entirely in contact with the 'adhesive'-, then tape etc. in place, allow to fully cure.
• Repeat the testing over known 'deep' water.

The testing will validate that the puck 'will' operate sufficiently 'though' the hull.
Any air (bubbles) included in 'the glue' will degrade performance.
Expect 'degraded' depth sounder performance especially at the deeper depths.
The above is ONLY for solid fiberglass hulls; NOT to be used for 'cored' hull laminates.
If the inner surface of the hull is 'slanted', consider to build up a 'least thickness possible' angled transition piece to get the puck as close as possible to the vertical/horizontal - use the same procedure in prepping and mounting.

Removal of installed puck:
Sharp Chisel + Hammer; or, angle grinder.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 06-02-2016 at 01:17 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-02-2016

[/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post

But it will work.
HAHAHA
To which law office would you recommend for him to deliver the evidentiary materials of ....
dissolved - eyeballs, hair, skin, muscles, and liquified puck, etc. :—o

Last edited by RichH; 06-02-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-02-2016

Get a really fine antique gilded portrait frame, mount puck in the centre .Mount frame in head and ponder ,several times a day , is it upside down?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in