Yanmar 2GMF Fuel Mystery - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 06-05-2016
al brazzi

Re: Yanmar 2GMF Fuel Mystery

Will it run at full speed and stop at idle? A small suction leak can be masked by the higher flow. The barb at the Tank is a check valve probably doesn't matter one way or the other but its good to know if that's part of your system. The fact that you can prime manually and it will run only for awhile is quite curious. I had a stop at idle that was masked at higher speeds because the vent on the filter had worked loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-06-2016
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Mulch View Post
Thanks to everyone for the help!

Heading back to Rhode Island tomorrow

Summary, the secondary bleed screw washers, plastic and copper are new. The new fuel valve shutoff is at the Racor 120 filter and is in the flow position.

The fuel tank outlet is at the top of the tank, don't think there is a shutoff valve at the tank. I did relocate the primary for better access, sight and filter change, could this be a problem? I also pumped all old fuel from the fuel tank last fall and have 3/4 full of fresh diesel.

We removed the fuel fill cap, no suction that could mean blocked vent. I also cleared the transom fuel vent with a piece of weed wacker line.

Plan, setup a separate tank of fresh diesel and feed the inlet on the lift pump directly. Bleed secondary and injection pump,should I also bleed the two injectors? Start the engine. If it runs for more than 2-3 minutes I'll have more information. Thanks to all! Mike
I've found there is no need to bleed down to the injectors. Once the fuel is to the injector pump, the pump will do its job, she'll kick right over.
RichH likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I've found there is no need to bleed down to the injectors. Once the fuel is to the injector pump, the pump will do its job, she'll kick right over.
Yup! and ditto, especially for most of the older Yanmars.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-06-2016 Thread Starter

Update, Thanks to all for the great information. Some success!

Today I bypassed the tank and the Racor A120 primary and hooked up to the lift pump inlet with 4 feet of fuel hose running to a diesel container. Hand primed for 3 minutes, bleed the secondary, injection pump and cracked the injectors, engine started great! Ran for 20 minutes, I shut it down and started right up again! Everything good from the lift pump on.

So my problem is on the fuel tank, lines and primary filter side. To trouble shoot the Racor I used the 4 feet of hose and the same diesel container and hooked to the in port on the opposite side of the filter head, and closed off my tank inlet on the other side. I talked to a Racor tech in CA. I could not get fuel to the secondary with the lift pump. It maybe too much of a task for the small lift pump.

I plan to put a primer bulb on the temporary line to assist with priming the Racor and then see if the engine can pump from the container passing through to Racor.

I'm also considering adding a primer bulb close to the fuel tank when I have this sorted out. Any comments on the primer bulb idea?

Thank you all for offering advise. Sailnet folks are really great!
Attached Thumbnails
Bypassing Primary and Tank.JPG   Trouble Shooting Primary Filter.JPG  
post #15 of 24 Old 06-06-2016

Whats the physical size dimensions (and/or part number) and MOST importantly the 然 retention rating of the Racor 'secondary' you're using. Ditto its pre-filter?

My suspicion leads me to include - insufficient flow capacity of the 'secondary' filter (too small 'surface area' and too small 然 retention). Here's a test for you and before you go to all the trouble of 'rodding out' all the tubing, etc. Remove the filter cartridge of the 'secondary' / engine mounted filter and do an engine test run 'without it' - filter housing 'empty'. If that solves the problem - good; if not follow your (apparently good) logical path of investigation.

Reason for my suggestion: The 'tightest' 然 filter for the GM series engine is 10然 (@ 95-97% efficiency) ..... if there happens to be a 2然 in there instead of the specified 10然 ..... you will get 1/5th flow, requiring 5X the motive force (vac. or pressure) to deliver the same amount/volume of fuel as with a 10然 .... all this in 'Racor-speak'.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-06-2016

I think RichH is on to something. The Racor 120 cartridges come in 2, 10 and 30 micron ratings. For a primary, I would use the 30 micron. If you have the 2 micron that indeed could be the problem.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-07-2016 Thread Starter

I'm heading back to the boat tomorrow. I do have a 30 micron filter on the Racor 120A primary filter. I will have more to report later.

If I need an inline electric fuel pump Ill be happy to install one just to solve this problem. Any suggestions on the type, size, location where to mount.

Thank you all!
post #18 of 24 Old 06-07-2016
al brazzi

Shouldn't need a lift pump if not one used before, it would mask the real problem. I think you mentioned replacing the lines, return too? Have you pulled the pickup line from the Tank also check (inspect) the check valve.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-07-2016 Thread Starter

Yes, all fuel lines are new. The tank pickup tube will probably be the next inspection item.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-07-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Mulch View Post
Yes, all fuel lines are new. The tank pickup tube will probably be the next inspection item.
Make sure you can blow through the return too. Bleeding lets air out, the return line does that while running.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in