Small Outboard Care - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 Old 07-05-2016
al brazzi

Re: Small Outboard Care

Like... somehow I'm not worthy of an actual button anymore so I will waste electricity by typing it in.
aloof likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifgray View Post
So I just dropped a a pretty penny on a 2005 15HP Mercury 2-stroke outboard and I want to make sure I am keeping it in ship shape for as long as possible and thus I wanted to compile a little list of the care and maintenance these guys need.

I would really appreciate any more thoughts.
Uhm, didn't you get a manual with the engine?

Nice buy, good luck, best of operating experiences.

I bought a 1990 Evinrude at a swap meet years ago, and did my homework & research on the internet and found some very good information.

Here's one of many: scroll down to engines

http://forums.iboats.com/forum

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 07-06-2016 at 01:03 AM.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-06-2016

Did you check the compression on the 11 year old motor? It's at the age that it may not make much difference how you take care of it, rather how the previous owner took care of it.
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 39 Old 07-06-2016

You got a bit of outdated bad advice here.
Your fuel system on that year engine is designed and built to use ethanol up to 10%. There will be NO component damage like swelling of seals etc. Been this way since 1990 for Merc.
Also since 1991 fuel tanks are ethanol safe.
Not saying ethanol is good in fuel, it's horrible, but your engine IS designed to use up to 10%.
The sky is NOT falling!

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #15 of 39 Old 07-06-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Replace the fuel line from the tank any time it looooks fatigued or cracked. DO NOT PUT THIS OFF. Ask me how I know this.

Replace the plugs when it st starts to miss on acceleration on full throttle.

Feed it clean fuel at 50 to 1 and watch for water after it rains. Fuel caps seem to be designed to leak water into the tank. It is possible to separate out the water by decanting the contaminated into another container using a Baja filter.

Mine is in use almost everyday in salt water so it never gets a fresh water flush.

Do not carry out ANY prophylactic maintenance. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have seen many motors that have had to be scrapped because of broken off studs and cracked ali castings all resulting from attempted dismantling.

Last edited by TQA; 07-06-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #16 of 39 Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

@Stu Jackson unfortunately I didn't get a manual with the motor though I'm trying to find one right now. Any good links or resources? I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist but no luck. Thanks for the iBoats link!

@Minnewaska I bought it from smalloutboards.com and they sold me a clean little machine. Compression is good and the whole thing looks in really good condition.

@TQA thanks for the tips! So what happened with the bad fuel line?
post #17 of 39 Old 07-06-2016
Master Mariner

I'm with TQA. Almost 8 years of daily use on our Johnson 15, 4 stroke and I have never fresh water rinsed. As with almost everything else on a boat, use is the key. Sitting around unused is a surefire route to early decline.
About twice a year I spray everything under the cowling with PB Blaster. I second the 'if it ain't broke....' especially on outboard motors. S/S bolts into alloy: well we all know where that will end up.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #18 of 39 Old 07-06-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

The fuel line supplied with Tohatsus has no internal fabric reinforcing scaffolding. Also seems to be prone to UV damage.

It splits usually at the motor connection. Cut it shorter push on and it splits again, grrr.

Replace it as soon as it looks at all suspect, in fact it might be a good idea to replace with high quality hose immediately it goes into use.

Note to self, fit that d*** hose you bought a month ago.
capta likes this.
post #19 of 39 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'm with TQA. Almost 8 years of daily use on our Johnson 15, 4 stroke and I have never fresh water rinsed. As with almost everything else on a boat, use is the key. Sitting around unused is a surefire route to early decline.
About twice a year I spray everything under the cowling with PB Blaster. I second the 'if it ain't broke....' especially on outboard motors. S/S bolts into alloy: well we all know where that will end up.
The last motor on my Catalina was a 1980 15HP Evinrude that was used 1-2 times a week for 36 years and mechanically was still mostly sound. Its owners didn't do a whole lot of care other than changing the impeller every couple years and making sure it wasn't overheating, etc. So I'll be pretty happy if I get half of that, just want to make sure I am getting as much info as I can!
post #20 of 39 Old 07-07-2016

Confession.... on the last outboard I just traded in this past winter, I had never changed the impeller in over 10 years of service.

Pre-season annual oil filter change, engine oil change at beginning and end of season, annual lower unit oil change, approx bi-annual spark plug change (but would clean and re-gap annually). I vaguely recall changing the fuel filter once and I'm not sure it really needed it. I think that was about all I ever did. Ran it dry before storing outdoors over winter. I would occasionally run some carb cleaner through it, when starting back up in the spring. Ran like a champ.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in