CLEAT 10" Marinium Wilcox-Crittenden - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

Re: CLEAT 10" Marinium Wilcox-Crittenden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
10" cleats are not as common on e-Bay, but, there are a few every now and then. If you find one that is some kind of ugly black anodized crap. Get it, and sand, polish the black off. If you want to get the Herreshoff style, there are tons of those. Plain 4 bold open aluminum cleats are hard to find. These guys have, I think, 8" plated bronze cleats. You could consider replacing the single 10" cleat with two 8" cleats. Would need smaller mooring lines.

Spartan Marine Archives - Robinhood Marine Center
The 10" cleat is in the middle of my foredeck - mooring tackle goes from both sides, through fairleads, to the one cleat... the whole idea is I do not want to drill more holes in my deck if at all possible - not for a different 10" cleat, nor for different sizes placed elsewhere.

This cleat has held through storms, hurricanes, and placid weather...
Hence I am looking for the same cleat I had there before, which has a unique mounting pattern. The only one I can find is the same item - 10" Wilcox-Crittenden 4 hole cleat, which they made from an alloy called "Marinium". Not the same as Aluminum - I researched that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-11-2016
not so Junior Member....

Try calling Long Island Marine Consignment in suffolk cty NY Ive had good luck grazing for that style in Marinium (wc) they are listed on the net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited by baywater; 07-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-14-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks!
Also, in reply to an earlier thread, I'm not really interested in using smaller mooring lines - that could move the "weakest link" to the mooring lines... I sure don't want to end up on the beach again!

post #14 of 18 Old 07-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidman View Post
Thanks!
Also, in reply to an earlier thread, I'm not really interested in using smaller mooring lines - that could move the "weakest link" to the mooring lines... I sure don't want to end up on the beach again!
That does depend on what you are using for mooring lines. The 5/8 in Cyclone Endura(DYNEEMA) pendant that I have conneced to my 1 inch nylon mooring line is rated at 58,000 lb tensile strength. I'm sure my 316 ss 6 inch Herreschoff deck cleat will break before the mooring pendant does!

All probably over kill for a boat that only displaces 1300 lb.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-14-2016
Barquito

Quote:
All probably over kill for a boat that only displaces 1300 lb.
Indeed. Oversized mooring lines are good to prevent breakage due to chafing. However, they won't be as elastic. That could cause undue shock loading on the mooring cleat. I added two mooring cleats, partly, so I would have a place to tie my jacklines and still have a place to tie the mooring lines when landing.

Valiant 32
post #16 of 18 Old 07-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Indeed. Oversized mooring lines are good to prevent breakage due to chafing. However, they won't be as elastic. That could cause undue shock loading on the mooring cleat. I added two mooring cleats, partly, so I would have a place to tie my jacklines and still have a place to tie the mooring lines when landing.
You are not paying attention here to what I am saying.

You do not want an elastic line connecting to your mooring cleat. Elastic is what causes chaffing(its in the line itself not against the chock---the nylon stretches and overheats as it bends sharply against the block and turns hard and then breaks).

You want the line that connects to the cleat and through the chock to be as rigid as possible(as low stretch as possible), and if it didn't have to bend, steel cable would be the one. So you use a mooring pendant that is only 6 feet long that connects to the long elastic nylon mooring pendant(the one that absorbs the shock) that connects to the chain that connects to whatever is on the bottom(in my case a 2500 lb block of granite).

In studies taken after Hurricane Sandy on the east coat of the USA, no boat that had that second dyneema mooring pendant that connected to the long elastic nylon one, broke loose. Many boats that used the nylon elastic pendant to connect to the deck cleat broke due to chaffing at the block.

Basically you want two rigid connectors: one to the thingie on the bottom, and one to the boat, with an elastic shock absorber in the center. That is: chain and dyneema on both ends, and elastic nylon in the center. You want the same for your anchoring process. If dyneema wasn't so expensive, you could use it to replace the chain at the bottom. You wouldn't want to in the anchor because for that you need the additional weight.

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-15-2016 at 11:36 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-15-2016 Thread Starter

I'm still looking for a 10" 4 hole Wilcox-Crittenden Marinium cleat, if anyone knows of one. I'm not looking for mooring methods, just a new cleat.

Just FYI, not joining in the debate, but FYI... my boat has never broken loose. This year was due to eroded chain on a borrowed mooring.

I use (and have been using successfully for over 20 years) 5/16" chain to the deck cleat, with a nylon 3 strand snubber (with a rubber snubber device) normally taking the load. If the snubber breaks, chafes through, etc, the chain will become the unbreakable mooring attachment to the boat. Dyneema is strong, but will chafe under the right (wrong?) circumstances.

20' of 5/16" chain to the deck, another 20' or so of 1/2" chain to a swivel, then another 20' or so of heavier chain from the swivel to the 500# mushroom anchor.

The boat is a Catalina 30, listed displacement 10,200 lb (actual is surely more, with fuel and all the "stuff" I keep on board)
baywater likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-23-2016 Thread Starter

Hi, All,

I'm still looking for a 10" Wilcox-Crittenden 4 hole cleat, which they made from an alloy called "Marinium" -
If you know of where to get one, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in