CLEAT 10" Marinium Wilcox-Crittenden - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

CLEAT 10" Marinium Wilcox-Crittenden

I am looking for a 10" 4 hole cleat made by Wilcox-Crittenden out of Marinium (Aluminum alloy) to replace the one on the foredeck of my Catalina 30. My boat broke loose from it's mooring and the cleat was broken by the tow boats as they recovered it from the beach. I'm trying to avoid using a different cleat so that I do not have to drill new holes in my deck. Sources of used gear appreciated. Thanks! Steve (email [email protected] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-07-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: CLEAT 10" Marinium Wilcox-Crittenden

Bacons in Annapolis and Minneys in L.A.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
Squidman (07-08-2016)
post #3 of 18 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidman View Post
I am looking for a 10" 4 hole cleat made by Wilcox-Crittenden out of Marinium (Aluminum alloy) to replace the one on the foredeck of my Catalina 30. My boat broke loose from it's mooring and the cleat was broken by the tow boats as they recovered it from the beach. I'm trying to avoid using a different cleat so that I do not have to drill new holes in my deck. Sources of used gear appreciated. Thanks! Steve (email [email protected] )
That's awful. The cleat held in the mooring the the tow guys broke it.

Why did your boat break out of its mooring?

post #4 of 18 Old 07-08-2016 Thread Starter

The boat broke loose because the mooring chain broke. The guy who services my mooring had not prepared it in time, so I was on someone else's temporarily. 1/2" in chain had eroded to about 1/4". CHECK YOUR MOORING CHAIN! All the way down to the anchor!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-08-2016

Quote:
The boat broke loose because the mooring chain broke. The guy who services my mooring had not prepared it in time, so I was on someone else's temporarily. 1/2" in chain had eroded to about 1/4". CHECK YOUR MOORING CHAIN! All the way down to the anchor!
Where I live the guy who does this is certified by the town, so any moorings that break loose he is responsible for taking care of the boat if the person has paid. I needed to pay $400+ this year to have a new 1/2 inch galvanized chain put in since, like you, the chain was rusted and the chain was down to 1/8 inches in some places.

Perhaps unlike your situation, my mooring ball(or anyone's) doesn't go on until the the guy who does the work checks the chain. I pay him $135 a year for this maintenance. Its required by the town management where the mooring is. He uses this barge and a big crane to lift the while thing out of the water from the connection to the 2500 lb block of granite all the way to the 3/4 inch nylon mooring pendant.

How big a boat did you have on the mooring?

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-08-2016 at 04:15 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-08-2016

Perko is now making new Marinium gear... they're worth a check to see if they designed to the prior W-C dimensions.

Obviously, EBay is another place to look.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-08-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks - I did find the Perko stuff, but not the same as the old Wilcox-Crittenden dimensions. & it seems EBay has every size except the 10" I need... but I have saved the search and hope on pops up soon.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2016 Thread Starter

Yes, this one was not yet inspected... it definitely would have failed. Needless to say I am not happy with the guy who services the moorings who was supposed to have mine ready and didn't. I was on the other one for a "couple of days" that turned into about 3 weeks when my Catalina 30 broke loose.

Your 1/2" was down to 1/8" ? Wow! that's barely hanging on! It sounds like that was not inspected for at least a couple of years. Perhaps you should ask for the inspection fee of $135 (or $270 for 2 years) to be taken off the cost of the replacement chain.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2016

Quote:

Your 1/2" was down to 1/8" ? Wow! that's barely hanging on! It sounds like that was not inspected for at least a couple of years. Perhaps you should ask for the inspection fee of $135 (or $270 for 2 years) to be taken off the cost of the replacement chain.
He told me last year that it would need replacement this year. But the difference is that its in the water all year round but only on my boat in the summer months. The other difference is that your boat out weighs mine by 9000 lbs. Being in salt water it was just barely ok last year for a boat that displaces about 1300 lb. So then after being in the water from September to June it went below the limit. Once the galvanizing is gone and the rust starts, it tends to go fast.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-11-2016
Barquito

10" cleats are not as common on e-Bay, but, there are a few every now and then. If you find one that is some kind of ugly black anodized crap. Get it, and sand, polish the black off. If you want to get the Herreshoff style, there are tons of those. Plain 4 bold open aluminum cleats are hard to find. These guys have, I think, 8" plated bronze cleats. You could consider replacing the single 10" cleat with two 8" cleats. Would need smaller mooring lines.

Spartan Marine Archives - Robinhood Marine Center

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in