Chart Plotters - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 Old 07-21-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Chart Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Thank you but I did that, and all the posts were more than 2 years old, condescension not withstanding.

Google is my friend already.
Top two threads have responses only six or seven months old. Prices only come down.

Your price point appears, from your responses, to be below chart plotter territory so you are going to be limited to apps (on devices) and programs (on laptops) and nothing has changed about being waterproof, power, and daylight visibility from the previous threads.

I have already reported myself to the mods, so you don't have to worry about my condescension.
travlin-easy likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 Old 07-21-2016

I recently picked up a Lowrance Hook 4 for $330 with a $50 rebate. (Hmm...still haven't sent that in, that's what they're counting on, isn't it?) So assuming I send the rebate in that's $280.

The one I got was bundled with Navionics+ which covers all the United States including dinky inland lakes.

The transducer works great through my hull, so it shows depth. You can also put on speed and direction.

I know you said you don't care about fish, but it's kind of fun to switch the screen from chart to sonar and watch the little fishies go past. And since it shows the bottom I think it would be useful for anchoring, although I haven't used it in that capacity.

The screen is about the size of an iPhone, but much brighter.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #13 of 51 Old 07-21-2016

Navionics on my I pad works great . . . . and the basic version is free . . . also on I phone . . . check it out before you spend any money . . .
Lazerbrains likes this.

post #14 of 51 Old 07-21-2016

I have a Garmin 42dv. The main thing that sold me on the Garmin was the ease and layout of the menu system. Trying the different ones out in the store (Lowrance, etc), the Garmin was easy to figure out without a manual - it just made logical sense how to operate it, get to different screens, menus, etc.

That being said, I just did a 2700nm delivery on a boat setup with a Vesper wifi AIS routed into Ipads running InavX, and was very impressed with the operation of the system. Much more versatile than a standalone plotter. If I were to do it again, I would definitely go that route. And now with the newer wifi radar systems, those could also be integrated as well.

Last edited by Lazerbrains; 07-25-2016 at 09:39 AM.
post #15 of 51 Old 07-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
If you want to simple things... no need for radar... just a plotter.... a mobile device works great with Navionics, for example... Android, IOS.... phone or tablet.

Chart plotters now are MFDs which handle all manner of inputs... AIS, radar, speed log, compass... wind and so on... and GPS of course.
The discussion encouraged me to look online for a GPS unit only. I found one called Bad Elf for $85. It connects to my wife's G2 iPad So I think this is what we'll do.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #16 of 51 Old 07-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

I have already reported myself to the mods, so you don't have to worry about my condescension.
I think I meant condensation. Collecting of information on the internet like water collects on a glass of cold water.

My price point is lower, only because I tend to be cheap, not because I couldn't afford a $350 Garmin.

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-21-2016 at 04:09 PM.
post #17 of 51 Old 07-21-2016

I second the hook 4, great little unit.
the problem I have with iPads and iPhones is the lack of clarity on sunny days, there is not enough contrast on those screens
post #18 of 51 Old 07-21-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock

If you are going to use it "under a roof and behind glass" then an ipad/notebook is probably ok.

If you are going to use it in a high wind under bright sun with driving spray, not so much.

your usage and budget will vary
post #19 of 51 Old 07-21-2016

On the delivery I just completed, it was mounted underneath the dodger, next to the companionway hatch, and in a special waterproof case made for Ipads. Worked great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazerbrains For This Useful Post:
nhsail (07-23-2016)
post #20 of 51 Old 07-22-2016
Full time cruiser

We run Raymarine but that is not cheap -- but as above we run OpenCPN as a backup and it works flawlessly -- we just run it sometimes and it is as good as any - only issue is where to get the charts and that will depend on your sailing area -
and later if you want to add all the bells and whistles like radar ais ect OpenCPN can handle it.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in