Chart Plotters - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old 07-22-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Chart Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
The main thing that sold me on the Garmin was the ease and layout of the menu system. Trying the different ones out in the store (Lowrance, etc), the Garmin was easy to figure out without a manual - it just made logical sense how to operate it, get to different screens, menus, etc.
You hit on an important element. It is a very good idea to spend some time trying out the systems. The menus work differently on the various brands and some will be easier FOR YOU than others. I happen to like the Raymarine system. Lazerbrains finds the Garmin structure easier to navigate. That doesn't make either better or worse for everyone. People's brains work differently. There is no substitute for trying them out to see what works best for you.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 07-22-2016 Thread Starter

15 Apps for Navigating with your Apple or Android Device - Sail Magazine

Apps for your android or iPad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathu For This Useful Post:
johnny buddha (07-23-2016)
post #23 of 51 Old 07-23-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Apps for your android or iPad.
Cool - I was going to ask about this, as we "inherited" an Android tablet with the boat and I know exactly zilch about Android devices.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana

post #24 of 51 Old 07-23-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Depends on what your usage is and needs.

We have a dedicated Raymarine 90W . It runs on Navionics and integrates a radar, side by side or overlay, AIS, . We also use a I pad below as a second station. I also have Garmin blue charts on the pad for active captain.

To me nothing beats a fixed mounted Chartplotter made for the Maine environment in terms of ease of use and not worrying about sunlight, weather conditions. Etc. also you never have to recharge or worry about power usages. You get what you pay for.. To me a boat buck for a well integrated basic system is much worth it than and old I pad with attachments. Amortized over 10 years it amounts to $100 per year or about 3 stainless steel hinges

There are also many sailing apps which help depending on you needs from wind alert, sail flow, drag queen etc.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #25 of 51 Old 07-24-2016

Dock

I must be looking in the wrong places, on a recent trip to the boat electronics store to talk about the 1995 model Furuno system on my boat, his advice was toss my old and working but outdated system that I needed a Cmap card for and install a new plotter at $1700 but by the time he added radar and a few other peripherals it looked more like $8-10K...... I left with a sad face.

If I'm understanding this and I'm probably not.
You get radar, AIS, wind,depth and other sensors that talk to a network (router) via wifi or bluetooth and then piecemeal a system together with Open CPN on a laptop and some tablets with the cost running in the hundreds instead of the thousands?
And you are able to add pieces from different manufacturers as you see fit?

Is this correct? Or some kind of off the wall pipe dream brought on by lack of sleep and soda pop too early in the morning.
post #26 of 51 Old 07-24-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
I must be looking in the wrong places, on a recent trip to the boat electronics store to talk about the 1995 model Furuno system on my boat, his advice was toss my old and working but outdated system that I needed a Cmap card for and install a new plotter at $1700 but by the time he added radar and a few other peripherals it looked more like $8-10K...... I left with a sad face.

If I'm understanding this and I'm probably not.
You get radar, AIS, wind,depth and other sensors that talk to a network (router) via wifi or bluetooth and then piecemeal a system together with Open CPN on a laptop and some tablets with the cost running in the hundreds instead of the thousands?
And you are able to add pieces from different manufacturers as you see fit?

Is this correct? Or some kind of off the wall pipe dream brought on by lack of sleep and soda pop too early in the morning.
Let's make sure we are comparing apples with apples.

What are you needs Start with the basics
Chartplotter and radar

Here's and example but there are many more deals online.

Raymarine a78 Wi-Fi Radar Pack with RD418D and CPT-100 Transducer - T70228 | Anchor Express

Less than $1600. If you want AIS get the standard horizon VHF which has it and hook it in that's now about $2000. Quotes of $7000 are for advanced systems, larger screen, hd radar etc.

I know no computer program or ap you can get real time radar. That requires a radar dome and such which start over $1000 on their own.

These are plug and play and you can install yourself. You should be able to get a nice integrated system for around $2000.

Sales men will sell you anything. Educate yourself here or in a west marine as to your real needs then go online and look at much better pricing

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #27 of 51 Old 07-24-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Any recommendations for inexpensive chart plotters? I'm not interested in fish. I really only am interested in a graphical chart GPS that shows where I am on a chart.

Would an app for my iPhone be just as good?
I'm sure that if you have a 38 foot sea going vessel that paying $1700 for a plotter is cost effective. However, I have never paid $100 for three hinges. I bought three 316 SS hinges last week and paid $16. Anyone who pays $100 for three SS hinges is being ripped off big time, and reall does have the definitition of B-O-A-T---Break out another thousand.

However, the boat in question is a 19 foot pocket cruiser. And the original question was for an inexpensive plotter.
post #28 of 51 Old 07-24-2016

Cool down Zarathu. chef2sail provided an excellent reply to Salty Mike's post. Yes it wasn't to your original question, but that's what happens on these threads. Still good info for those looking for a more extensive system for a larger boat.

As to my thoughts on your original question, I would look for a 4 to 5 inch chartplotter with no sonar transducer and an internal GPS antenna and with included US charts. Lots of choices out there with prices in the $250 to $500 range.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #29 of 51 Old 07-24-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post

As to my thoughts on your original question, I would look for a 4 to 5 inch chart plotter with no sonar transducer and an internal GPS antenna and with included US charts. Lots of choices out there with prices in the $250 to $500 range.
I just hate it when I have to answer my own question. But then, maybe there just aren't enough small coastal cruising sailors here to actually help. I certainly know where to look: Amazon. I have both a local Maine Hamilton Marine, and national West Marine within 10 miles of my house.

I was interested in other people's solutions to inexpensive chart plotters. What happened was that others who don't mind paying $500-$3000 FOR ONE with all the bells and whistles, took over the thread---as often happens--I CERTAINLY KNOW.

I was simply expressing frustration for that happening. And the reality is is that there a not a lot of sailors like me here. But in the places where there are more like me, they tend to be very very cliquey and focused on one geographical part of the world(in this case California).
post #30 of 51 Old 07-24-2016

Last year I used my IPad with Navionics to travel through the Dutch waterways to the North Sea then down the Belgian and French Coasts, across the channel to the UK and later cruised from Scotland to Ireland. My iPad has a Lifeproof waterproof cover and is kept charged from the boat battery. It is the model with the internal GPS which has proved highly accurate. It is mounted under the spray hood using a Ram mount system on the sliding hatch so that I can slide it further in to either see the screen more clearly or get it away from spray. The same purchase gets its on both my iPad and iPhone. As someone said earlier it is possible to hook up a wifi enabled AIS unit and display the output in the iPad screen. However I found that an app like ship finder worked all the way across the English Channel (my iPad is the 3G capable model) and I was able to use the virtual reality facility to point the iPad at a ship and identify it.
My fixed plotter which is 10 years old is on but not used as it is light years behind Navionics on the iPad. Additionally updates are very simple so ones charts are always bang up to date.
scubadoo likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in