Deck washdown pump install (help please) - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-25-2016 Thread Starter

Deck washdown pump install (help please)

I have purchased an Aqua Jet Washdown System (5.2) from Johnson Pump. The pump has received good reviews, but the directions (in multiple languages) are terrible. I looked for a "how to" video but wasn't able to find anything pertinent.

I have an unused thru-hull. The plumbing part seems fairly straight forward, but I could use some step-by-step instruction regarding the electrical part. I'm talking really step-by-step. A website with pictures would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.

mrmac
Dahlgren, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-25-2016

Re: Deck washdown pump install (help please)

Did you try to google it? I searched for "how to install deck washdown pump" and got several hits including a YouTube instruction video from JD.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-25-2016

Once you select the physical location of the pump, measure the distance from your panel switch (independent circuit breaker for 'just' the pump preferred); Plus, the distance to your main 12vdc supply. Then multiply by 2 to include the ground wire in the 'total' circuit length. This will give you the total 'run' of wiring; then ........

Once you have that 'total' length dimension, go to Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems and let the 'program' select the proper wire gage.

FWIW - if you plan on 'extensive' use of the wash down pump, be advised that the typical Johnson Pumps are 'thermally protected' (once the pump reaches a certain operating temperature, the pump cuts-out, automatically). So, to keep the pump motor running 'cooler', its best to oversize the wiring by approx. 10%-15% so that the overall resistance in the wire is less and will result in less 'amps' draw for the pump. Less overall amperage used (motor, PLUS wiring losses) will allow for longer run times with the pump before the internal thermal cut-off switch activates. Typically 15-20 minutes is all you get with a Johnson Pump before the thermal cut-out switch activates. 'Oversizing' the wire a bit, will allow less amps consumed which results in less heating of the pump motor - for longer pump life, and less 'thermal cut-outs'.

http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/#

Other.
If you do plan on extensive usage of this pump, consider to add a large 'accumulator' to the 'downstream' high pressure plumbing from the pump. This will allow the pump to deliver more 'constant' water flow and with less pump 'cycling'.
capta and seabeau like this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-25-2016 at 12:42 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-25-2016

Looks fairly straight forward to me. Just wire it to one of your fused panel switches and you're ready to go. My washdown pump is actually situated in the head and I have a 10-foot hose running to a hose connector on the foredeck next to the anchor windlass. I love it!

The one thing I did notice was that there didn't appear to be pressure switch on that pump, and if this is the case, be sure that the nozzle of the hose is open before turning it on - just to be on the safe side.

Gary
post #5 of 20 Old 07-30-2016 Thread Starter

The directions state that for the length of wire I will need (distance from pump to power source x 2) 6 awg wire. The calculator you provided agrees.

The wire coming out of the pump is only 16 awg.

Yesterday I took the pump to a local marina and purchased the hose/tubing and a few small items. I explained my confusion. The owner, a seemingly knowledgeable guy, said that if his marina did the installation, he would use the same gauge wire as used in the pump, in this case 16 awg, or maybe 14 awg. 6 gauge wire just seems really heavy for a small pump.

So ... do I think of the wire as being like a drop cord. With, say 14 awg wire, it's not that I worry about the wire dangerously heating up, but that there will be a severe drop in voltage?

He also suggested that rather than taking the ground all the way back to the panel, I just tie it in at the nearest convenient ground. That seemed kind of jack-legged.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-30-2016

That your pump connection wires are at less AWG than 6AWG doesn't matter, as the total voltage drop (amperage requirement) is dependent on the 'whole' run of wire including that 'short' length of 16 AWG. At least the 6AWG section will be running at the proper 'resistance'. You can recalculate based on the approx length (inches) of those 16ga. wires to see the effect vs. the 'whole' system.

Jack-legging the ground .... if and only if, the ground you tap into is at 6AWG or larger, and the ground that you jack-leg into will never be simultaneously active/energized from another source, for the same reasons above.
Its bad practice to 'jack-leg' into other ground wires - a potential fire hazard; unless you desire a 'fusible link' that auto-destroys itself when the amperage loads get too high .... and you can then 'smell' the burned-out link. - IMO.

Where's Mainsail when you need him?
mrmac likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-30-2016

So, does it have a built-in pressure switch/regulator, or not? If not, I, personally, would not use it.

Gary
post #8 of 20 Old 07-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
...Where's Mainsail when you need him?
Probably answering the 500 private messages he gets every week regarding boat electrics.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #9 of 20 Old 07-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
...I have an unused thru-hull...
Hmmm. I know everyone isn't haulin' around 1000 gallons of fresh water (I'm certainly not), but wouldn't you prefer a freshwater connection? That's how mine is rigged (i.e., rinsing down the anchor rode upon it's return to the locker, etc.).

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #10 of 20 Old 07-31-2016 Thread Starter

Rocketscience - we carry about 75 gallons of fresh water, not enough to use for washing down w/o being nervous about running out.

Tags
pump , wash down , washdown , washdown pump install

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in