What's in your tool box? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Re: What's in your tool box?

On a small boat space is limited, but I would still recommend using a small plastic tool box or fishing tackle box to store the tools onboard. Choose one that has no or very limited holes in the lid or the bottom to keep water out. I like small fishing tackle boxes due to all the small sections useful for separating screws, bolts, wire, etc. The big tools go in the bottom. Give everything in the bottom a nice spray of WD40 once in awhile to keep stuff from getting rusty and stiff. At a minimum I can't imagine going anywhere on any boat without: channel lock pliers, small and medium vice grips, several screwdrivers philips and regular, needle nose pliers, a couple of adjustable wrenches, wire stripper and connector crimper tool, a sharp knife, electrical tape, a hammer, and a multimeter. If you want to work on the motor a small 3/8" socket set will be needed, spark plug tool, and oil, etc. I would also store someplace else on the boat in ziploc bags: gorilla tape, some electrical wire, some SS wire, some black wire ties, some silicone self-welding tape, some silicone sealant, some teflon tape, etc. Contrary to what some others say, on a larger cruising sailboat you can never have enough tools and spares. I would have a hard time getting everything on my 38-foot sailboat into the trunk of my car. I have tools stored all over the boat and multiple tool boxes for various things.
The Following User Says Thank You to 413761 For This Useful Post:
CentralPallor (08-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
... Contrary to what some others say, on a larger cruising sailboat you can never have enough tools and spares.
You are correct. So I have taken that observation to its obvious conclusion. Because you can never have enough tools and spares, why even try? On my 50 foot cruising boat I have come to carry very little in the way of tools and spares. I found that one rarely has the parts or tools required to effect a proper repair. It would be at least a ton of extra weight.

I notice that the other cruisers that have what they think is everything - claw hammers, angle grinders to sewing machines - seem to sit in port waiting for express shipments of "everything else". So what is the difference? Nor have I borrowed much from the cruisers who carry everything. In fact I think I have loaned and donated more tools and parts from my meagre and essential store than I have taken.

So far so good.
aeventyr60 likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to aloof For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Quote:
I found that one rarely has the parts or tools required to effect a proper repair. It would be at least a ton of extra weight.
My experience has been the opposite. I can almost always effect at least an emergency repair with what I carry onboard and usually a repair good enough to be permanent or semi-permanent, and I often assist others in repairing their boats like they do mine. The thing is if you don't have a particular specialized tool onboard chances are that someone in the fleet may have it. The one thing that can be a roadblock is when an electronic part dies that is critical to the functioning of something, so I avoid installing systems that depend on electronics whenever possible or else I have a back up. With your philosophy what do you do when your break down occurs whilst anchored in a coral lagoon by yourself hundreds of miles from the nearest other boat or village? You have to be able to fix things or else you are stuck.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
With your philosophy what do you do when your break down occurs whilst anchored in a coral lagoon by yourself hundreds of miles from the nearest other boat or village? You have to be able to fix things or else you are stuck.
Like I said, so far so good...10 years of visiting those remote lagoons.

A broken rudder could immobilize me. But I have a spare rudder. What tools would one carry to effect a rudder repair?

A broken mast could immobilize me. But creating a jury rig does not require any fancy tools.

I cannot think of anything electrical or electronic that I really need. If the fresh water pump and footpump both fail I can dip out of the water tanks.

I replaced the diesel on a remote island without anything other than very basic tools (and a regular inter-island freighter).

I can probably fashion a masthead sheave or gooseneck from junk on the beach just as well with a saw blade and chisel as one can with an angle grinder and drill press.

The compass, handheld GPS, sextant and rudimentary paper charts (or boatwife) are not going to be repaired with any tool kit.

So I'm all good.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #15 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Figure out what you a capable of fixing, and bring only the spares and tools for those items. For example, I don't think I'm going to remove the injector pump and retime it on my own, but I am capable of filters, belts, taping up leaking hoses, topping up oil and coolant, etc. I assume the santana is an outboard? If so, I'd be capable of cleaning the carburetor, changing spark plugs, fuel filter, and propeller.

What spares determines what tools IMHO. Simpler boat, traveling shorter distance from home, less stuff.

More complex cruising boat traveling far from home, I've found getting parts shipped can be a hassle. Even if I don't have the tools or skills for a particular item, I might stock it and hire someone to do the work. I assume we aren't doing that in the Santana.

Good luck, and go sailing. That's a fun, fast, boat!
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 21 Old 08-07-2016
Cruiser

Congrats on your new boat!

Here is a good article in Practical Sailor [by Evans Starzinger] answering your questions... [I appears that no subscription is required for this article...]

Cheers! Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrwakefield For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 21 Old 08-07-2016

Dock

So now a 22 foot sail boat is expected to go to an isolated lagoon hundreds of miles from anywhere??

Of course!

Just tow a spare 22 footer and don't forget the fiberglass chopper and spray tent.

Keep things real, guys. The OP is on a 1966 22 footer.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #18 of 21 Old 08-08-2016

Quote:
Keep things real, guys. The OP is on a 1966 22 footer.
Quote:
At a minimum I can't imagine going anywhere on any boat without: channel lock pliers, small and medium vice grips, several screwdrivers philips and regular, needle nose pliers, a couple of adjustable wrenches, wire stripper and connector crimper tool, a sharp knife, electrical tape, a hammer, and a multimeter. If you want to work on the motor a small 3/8" socket set will be needed, spark plug tool, and oil, etc. I would also store someplace else on the boat in ziploc bags: gorilla tape, some electrical wire, some SS wire, some black wire ties, some silicone self-welding tape, some silicone sealant, some teflon tape, etc.
Like I wrote above, that's about my minimum kept in a small tackle box. I used to carry a lot more than that when cruising on 17-26 footers and doing overnights. On one of our really small boats I rigged up a sturdy toolbox as a step making it easier to step down from the cockpit.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-08-2016

I have tools on the boat in soft bags I have not used in years. The bags come of in the winter and go back on again in the spring.

They only tools I frequently use are two vise-grips, a knife, two screwdrivers, and electrical tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulladh For This Useful Post:
post #20 of 21 Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. My boat is small, and I only plan to use it for day sailing in the SF Bay, to get used to single-handing. I guess the minimalist approach will work for now. I tend to overdo things, so I should probably start by buying only what I need to use immediately (I'm starting from zero). My ultimate plan is to eventually buy a (slightly) larger boat and go cruising by myself, so the info on what tools you all keep on your cruising boats will come in handy for then.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in