Sea Prop 60? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-23-2016 Thread Starter

Exclamation Sea Prop 60?

Hi all,

I am looking at replacing a Volvo 120s saildrive with a Technodrive Sea Prop 60 as part of a repowering project. Engine is 35hp. Does anyone have any experience with the Sea Prop 60? Are they reliable? Any problems with the unit or the Volvo replacement to be aware of? Are parts difficult to obtain or expensive?

Big project so thanks in advance. I have been unable to find much information from anyone having longer term experience with these saildrives.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-24-2016

Re: Sea Prop 60?

I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to point you toward Beta Marine, as I think they sell those saildrives. Maybe they can give you references?

When it comes to saildrives, not all are equal, so your instinct to research is a good one. It would be difficult to find a better one than Volvo's, but the 120S is long in the tooth.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
caribsail (08-25-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to point you toward Beta Marine, as I think they sell those saildrives. Maybe they can give you references?

When it comes to saildrives, not all are equal, so your instinct to research is a good one. It would be difficult to find a better one than Volvo's, but the 120S is long in the tooth.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I have spoken to Beta and they were very helpful. I was hoping for some first hand information from someone who has a SP60 installed and in use for a period of time. So far everything I have heard is positive but there is no first hand experience to draw upon yet. Nothing is as good as sailors praising or bemoaning their gear!

Bob

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2016

I am looking for the same information. I am considering replacing ZF SD10 sail drives with the SP60s. Nanni is also using these drives but feedback appears scarce. Have you made a decision yet?
post #5 of 5 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Technodrive Sea Prop 60 sail drive spare parts?

I am looking for spare parts for a Technodrive Sea Prop 60 Sail drive. Does anyone know of any decent suppliers that actually stocks spare parts for these sail drives? I am being told 4-6 weeks to special order standard replacement parts and I cannot wait that long! Anywhere in the world would be OK. I am located in Thailand but I will be going to Europe in a few weeks by plane.

Tags
sail drive , seaprop , technodrive , twin disc

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in