Harken Mark IV extruded foil replacements - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By overbored

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-28-2016 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Harken Mark IV extruded foil replacements

Anyone just replaced just one of the foil sections. Seems we were hit by a large bird which severely dented ours 3 feet from the mast head preventing the furler from working.

If so where did you order your part from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

Re: Harken Mark IV extruded foil replacements

that's a big bird. Are you sure it is bent or are the sections loose and coming apart. Any one that sells Harken can get but some want extra shipping because of the length. I have ordered them thru West marine and had it shipped to the store for pickup, no shipping cost or extra length shipping cost that way.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

You are probably looking for a MKIV series 1 or 2 foil. The MKIV foils are different from previous units. You might be in luck as the top foil is usually shorter than the 7' standard length.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

Yes it's the top foil of a Mark IV unit 1

It's severely bent you can noticeably see it

Only bird I could think did it is an owl. We have two in nests near the marina. They are huge birds .

Maybe he hit it

Regardless it is bent good enough to affect it turning around the forestay

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

The parts list is at http://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/...F/mk2-1-pl.pdf

You probably need a 807 luff foil. The top foil is usually shorter than 7' so it is cut at time of installation. Any Harken dealer can order one of these for you.

If it were me, I would drop the whole unit. Past experience with separating old foils is to use a heat gun to warm foil at joint to soften the loctite used with screws and connector wedges. A light tap will also help break the connection loose. You can cut the replacement foil to length with a hacksaw but found I had better luck with a Dremel EZ Lock diamond cutting blade. Wrap the foil first with some tape and you will have a nice clean cut.

Good luck
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

In order to take off the extrusions who forestay needs replacing as the swauge must be cut off to slide it off. Probably means a new forestay also.

Rigger must go to top also.

They said the fitting between the extrusions are not usually difficult for them to get apart each 7 foot length costs $80. I have 7 of them

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

don't know why you would have to cut the forestay. most units are installed on an existing forestay. no need to remove the forestay from the mast, the sections are removed one at time at deck level. you heat up the screws with a heat gun to soften the loctite and remove the four screws at each section joint and slide the foil section off.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

Bottom and top of forestay have swauges so they. Can be attached to toggle at the bow and masthead at the top. The extruded foil pieces won't just slide off with these in the way. Not sure what type of fittings were used

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2016

that would be a very big fitting to not fit thru the foil extrusion . you need to remove the lower part of the turnbuckle and there should be a swaged on thread fitting. The connectors and bushings fit inside the extrusion and come out before you slide the foil off the wire.
http://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/...t/PDF/4417.pdf
chef2sail likes this.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2016 Thread Starter

Yes I see that. Thanks for the info

I am letting the rigger come look at it this week
If we don't need a new head stay that would be great as that's a simple fix if they can just slide off the whole set of extrusions and just replace the damaged top piece

We have rid rigging and the head stay was replaced when we bought the furler 8 years ago

I doubt the rod is damaged. The issue was being able to get the extruded piece over the bottom swags.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in