Keel Grounding repair - DIY or pay for a profesional? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-07-2016 Thread Starter

Keel Grounding repair - DIY or pay for a profesional?

Hi Guys!

First time posting on the forum... Just got back from a 9 day stellar tour of the San Jauns... Except that I managed to get a nice ding on a rock at the very bottom of my keel. I was going about 4.5 knts in a Catalina 27.

I dove under and found a tennis ball sized dent in the deepest inches of the keel. That part I feel like I could DIY - file and hammer it back into shape then fill with something.

The more concerning part is a 3" crack at the rear of the keel, likely where the stoppage pushed the keel up into the hull. Its not terrible, but I want to get it out of the water and fixed up ASAP.

Unfortunately I don't have collision insurance for my boat, only when I cause damage to others... So as much as I can DIY, Id like to.

Is this something I would want a professional to take a look at and repair? Should I have the keel bolts looked at as well while im on the hard?

Any and all advise welcomed, I'm kind of new to hull repair (most of my work has been on the engine)

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-07-2016
Senior Moment Member

Re: Keel Grounding repair - DIY or pay for a profesional?

Look inside the boat above the area where the keel shows the separation. If there is no damage inside or signs of water intrusion it is likely that it's simply some fairing material got cracked when the hull flexed from the impact.

It's generally the front of the keel that shows separation on Cats - it's called the "Catalina Smile".

Post some pics when you get it hauled.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-07-2016

If you have a visible crack in the hull skin, I think you need a proper assessment of the damage. Most such groundings will detach interior tabbing while the hull itself, esp single skin hulls, tend to absorb some of the energy without (at least visual) damage.

IMO....This would be a tough thing to properly DIY without considerable experience and knowledge...

Edited to ask.. in response to SJB's comment.. exactly where is this crack?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 14 Old 09-07-2016

if the crack is back above / behind the back of the keel = I would pull it and have it inspected. I've found a rock up there before - luckily I was going less than a knot - I imagine 4+ to zero in very little space could cause some damage. Best of luck

Les
post #5 of 14 Old 09-08-2016 Thread Starter

So the 3" crack is right behind where the keel attaches to the hull, running perpendicular.

No water inside the hull, no cracks on where the keel bolts live in the Bilge.

I DO have the Catalina smile, though it is not any worse than it was before the incident. Maybe while she is out I can have the bolts torqued...

I think Ill get it pulled and inspected, repaired professionally. I'll try and fix the keel dent for myself because that's an easy project.

Then maybe Ill tackle the bottom painting after the repairs as well, as it looks like the going rate is about $550 total for a bottom paint.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-08-2016

In order to fix it properly you might have to drop the keel and inspect/fix everything down there. Might be a good time to do it anyway, fixing the smile and inspecting/replacing keel bolts. You are lucky there was no leak after collision. You should have someone with you who has experience in these kind of repairs.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
j.jack.wang (09-11-2016)
post #7 of 14 Old 09-09-2016

I guess it's best to pay for a professional to do it. It's nice to know there was no leak at all.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-09-2016 Thread Starter

I've got a guy quoting 3500 for the following:

Tent, grind, repair keel ding on bottom. Grind and glass keel seam,
fair, barrier coat and first coat of bottom paint (this estimate is based
off a written description of the damage to the keel)

Also includes all the boat yard fees for haul and block, enviro fees, etc.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? Personally a bit more than I thought it would be, but then again, boat...

The other boatyard is saying they cant quote without seeing it first.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelemon View Post
That might be the yard I would pick. Other guy is quoting fixing mostly the cosmetics. Just because the boat is not leaking now, does not mean that damage is only cosmetic. If your boat has structural damage due to grounding and is later subject to some serious wave action, a leak can easily develop, with potentially serious consequences. That is almost a classic scenario: boat hits a rock hard, keel is not properly repaired, boat gets into a serious storm, keel gets lose, a leak develops, and boat sinks. If the cost of a proper repair exceeds the value of a boat, you scrap the boat and get a new one. You can get a C27 for under 5 grand.
Or you can just patch it up and avoid rough conditions.
timangiel likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 14 Old 09-09-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelemon View Post
I've got a guy quoting 3500 for the following:

Tent, grind, repair keel ding on bottom. Grind and glass keel seam,
fair, barrier coat and first coat of bottom paint (this estimate is based
off a written description of the damage to the keel)

Also includes all the boat yard fees for haul and block, enviro fees, etc.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? Personally a bit more than I thought it would be, but then again, boat...

Doesn't address the (potential) damage you describe. Sounds like the estimate purposely does not address the problem as you perceive it. I would haul and investigate/ survey before signing for work that doesn't address the crack.

By survey I mean maybe a licensed Surveyor brought in to look specifically at that area.
fallard likes this.

Tags
keel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in