Knots in Dynema External mast track brackets? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By overbored
  • 1 Post By zz4gta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2016 Thread Starter

Knots in Dynema External mast track brackets?

My boat has an external mast track. The previous sail had external mast track slides attached with webbing sewn into place. The used sail I bought had the same external slides attached with U-shaped shackles. I had to get creative with the cars that hold the battens. The plastic connectors I tried did not hold up well.

The boat I race on used a spool of cord to make a temporary connector that is still there being temporary. I am pretty sure the material was dyneema or something synthetic like that.

I have a roll of very thin dyneema with a breaking strength of around 800 lbs. I was planning on trying to wrap 4 or more wraps of the dyneema finished with a knot.

Two questions:

Is there a better day to do this other than Dyneema?

If I use Dnyeema, should I use a square knot, double fisherman's or other?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2016

Re: Knots in Dynema External mast track brackets?

Are you asking how to attach the slugs to your new sail? I got confused when you mentioned cars and battens. There are several different shackle and clevis products out there. Plastic naturally being the least durable. If you want to tie a slug to a sail, I'm not thinking of a knot that would hold up to flogging for long. If this is for your Potter 14, I bet a heavy-duty zip tie would work in a pinch.
jephotog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2016 Thread Starter

This is for an Ericson 32. It has a fairly old school mast track and sliders.

The sail has 4 full battens. The batten cars are much thicker and were harder to fit with a bracket. I went through every possible bracket in the shop before settling on the plastic, they did not last very long before breaking.

The sail (used)came with the pieces I have shown in this picture. They work okay but do not have the plastic pieces shown and get stuck a little bit getting jammed sideways when raising the sail.

Pictures attached of the batten car and the brackets used.
Attached Thumbnails
Batten Car.jpg   Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.15.09 AM copy.jpg  

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2016

I think the knot in the Dynema will be an issue. There is a way to make a soft shackle with Dynema but I will be surprised if it can be made that small.
This is telling you the obvious, for which I apologize, but I stopped breaking plastic sail shackles when I started making sure the track and the slides (slugs in my case) were well lubricated with dry lubricant.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2016

How crazy do you want to get? The right way is to splice a end in one end then cow hitch that to the slide, take a few wraps, I would use as many as will fit and cinch it tight, then use a series of half-hitches to finish it off.

The easier way, and almost as strong is to tie a bolen to the slide then take the wraps then finish with half-hitches.

Greg
post #6 of 7 Old 09-08-2016

Dynemma is over kill and does not like to stay tight. use lashing line or sew on with webbing like most sail makers do.

starts at 1:40
baywater likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2016
I don't discuss my member

+1 to the sailmakers webbing. If you really want to tie things in place, use spiderline or other small dyneema core line with a polyester cover. The cover will hold the knots much better than bare dyneema.
baywater likes this.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in