Installing a whisker pole track - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Re: Installing a whisker pole track

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I believe that the primary purpose of the track is to make manhandling and storage of the whisker pole easier. The 10 to 18ft one on my 31ft boat (without a track) is about as heavy as I would like to handle. One for a 42ft boat is going to be a lot heavier.
The one I have is an older model but more or less equivalent to the newer 13-24 Forespar pole which is what they recommend. And it is a heavy.

Don't know if I could deploy it without 1-2 others to help without the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Whisker poles are set at 90* to the clew of the sail so you have to measure on your own boat. Riggers and boat yards will 'splice" two sections of T-Track using a butt joint. They will drill and tap the screw holes and should give you a tight joint for the car to roll across. The nice thing about having a a track that goes closer to the deck/ coach roof is you can lay the pole down on the forepeak if the occasion warrants it. You will be using a 3 1/2 inch pole which is pretty heavy and ungainly (personal experience). So, the more mechanical help the better. Don't forget the topping lift.
Thanks George,

I had considered splicing two sections of track but wanted to avoid that if possible. Probably wouldn't be laying the pole on the foredeck as the boat is a cutter rig with a club boom and the pedestal where the gooseneck mounts is in the way..

I will make the staysail stay removable for this and several other reasons but the little pedestal with the club gooseneck would still be in the way unless I laid the pole down at an angle.

I just flew the new 135 for the first time yesterday. Was pretty busy dealing with a boat full of friends, rigging new lines and various other shakedown issues but did kind of eyeball the clew height of the genoa and 4.5' over the deck should be lower than I would need to rig the pole.

Last edited by skipmac; 09-12-2016 at 04:13 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-12-2016

I have the largest Forespar Velocity carbon fiber pole on my Endeavour 42, I think its a 14-24. It was mounted on the mast by Mack Sails with a single piece of T track that is about 18" shorter than the pole. And I have the pole chock below the T track and it works very well.

When installing the topping loft, make sure it is high enough. Many installers will put the turning block below the radar which can be way too low. On my setup minimum was I think 24 feet. Well above the radome which is a very minor inconvenience. Higher is better and a bridle is highly recommended. Forespar provides dimensions for these items.

post #14 of 24 Old 09-12-2016

Somebody makes/made at least a 14' length of 1 1/4" because I bought one. Been awhile so don't remember where it came from. Might try Forespar and all the spar makers as a source. A call to Garhauer might get results as they sometimes do custom work. Since any boat over about 35' would need a track longer than 10' it would seem someone would meet the demand. The problem with longer sections of anything is the shipping costs as they go as an oversize rate which can be expensive. AFAIK, USPS limit is 8' and think the Brown guys etc. are the same.

Get rid of the boomed staysail and go with a loose fitted sail like a genoa. Way better setting sail and easier to handle except hard on the wind.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I have the largest Forespar Velocity carbon fiber pole on my Endeavour 42, I think its a 14-24. It was mounted on the mast by Mack Sails with a single piece of T track that is about 18" shorter than the pole. And I have the pole chock below the T track and it works very well.

When installing the topping loft, make sure it is high enough. Many installers will put the turning block below the radar which can be way too low. On my setup minimum was I think 24 feet. Well above the radome which is a very minor inconvenience. Higher is better and a bridle is highly recommended. Forespar provides dimensions for these items.
Thanks. Do you recall the size of the t-track? Since Mack made my sails maybe I'll give them a call for some advice.

Would love to have a carbon fiber pole but have too many other things higher on the Christmas list. Maybe next year.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Somebody makes/made at least a 14' length of 1 1/4" because I bought one. Been awhile so don't remember where it came from. Might try Forespar and all the spar makers as a source. A call to Garhauer might get results as they sometimes do custom work. Since any boat over about 35' would need a track longer than 10' it would seem someone would meet the demand. The problem with longer sections of anything is the shipping costs as they go as an oversize rate which can be expensive. AFAIK, USPS limit is 8' and think the Brown guys etc. are the same.

Get rid of the boomed staysail and go with a loose fitted sail like a genoa. Way better setting sail and easier to handle except hard on the wind.
I found a longer track in 1 1/4 but I already have cars and stuff for 1". Hate to start over again since every little bit of this stuff is a few hundred bucks. ^%$#%@#$!!!!!

Seriously considering dumping the club boom. It is REALLY in the way but without the club boom to get a decent set I would need to add a track on deck.

And yes, I am painfully aware of the shipping problems IE cost of shipping long items. Bought a 20' length of SS rub rail cap and the shipping was more than the cap. Try shipping a sheet of 4X8 teak ply. Ouch!!
post #17 of 24 Old 09-13-2016

1" track would be too small for me to use on a 42' boat. That's hardware more appropriate for an under 30' boat.

Have a 12-22 Forespar Line Control Whisker Pole on our boat. The 2 1/2" into 3" pole pretzaled when extended out to about 18' on the 135% Genoa. Sail sure set nicely on our 35' boat. Unfortunately the pole was flexing a bit and gave up the ghost at 0 dark 30 on a moonless night after two days. Might want to limit the extension of the pole or at least monitor and reel it in if the pole is showing signs of flexing. Set the boat up so the whisker pole could be stored on the face of the mast but decided to keep it on deck for long passages. Was great to have it on the mast daysailing as the lift was already attached and it was super easy to clip on the gennys sheet when sailing downwind. Definitely do not reccomend using the line control whisker pole on a spinnaker. They just aren't built to take the compression loads of a spinnaker. Used the roller furling to set up the pole. Reel in the sail, attach the pole to the sheet and reel it back out.

Last edited by roverhi; 09-13-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-13-2016

Skipmac
Definately call Mack Sails. If its possible, they will know!
If you have the time, a track from Forespar could be added to another shipment.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
1" track would be too small for me to use on a 42' boat. That's hardware more appropriate for an under 30' boat.

Have a 12-22 Forespar Line Control Whisker Pole on our boat. The 2 1/2" into 3" pole pretzaled when extended out to about 18' on the 135% Genoa. Sail sure set nicely on our 35' boat. Unfortunately the pole was flexing a bit and gave up the ghost at 0 dark 30 on a moonless night after two days. Might want to limit the extension of the pole or at least monitor and reel it in if the pole is showing signs of flexing. Set the boat up so the whisker pole could be stored on the face of the mast but decided to keep it on deck for long passages. Was great to have it on the mast daysailing as the lift was already attached and it was super easy to clip on the gennys sheet when sailing downwind. Definitely do not reccomend using the line control whisker pole on a spinnaker. They just aren't built to take the compression loads of a spinnaker. Used the roller furling to set up the pole. Reel in the sail, attach the pole to the sheet and reel it back out.
The pole I have is 3" to 3 1/2" so hopefully a bit more robust than the one you turned into scrap.

Since the genoa track on my boat is 1" I assumed a 1" mast track would also be good enough. Don't have any data but it sure looks like loads on a jib sheet are way more than the loads on a whisker pole.

Confess I have little experience with spinnakers but have a large, lightweight cruising spinnaker/gennaker/drifter/reacher sail that came with the boat. Think that would be too much on an adjustable pole when used in light airs?
post #20 of 24 Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Skipmac
Definately call Mack Sails. If its possible, they will know!
If you have the time, a track from Forespar could be added to another shipment.

Yes I think it's time to call in the pros from Dover.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in