New fuel spouts SUCK!!!! - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 90 Old 08-17-2017

Re: New fuel spouts SUCK!!!!

I can tell you this company uses the same plastic on water and gas cans....

EPA/CARB Fuel Containers - Scepter Consumer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 90 Old 08-17-2017

I have no proof but I would be willing to bet that the new spout ruling was generated by some bureaucrat in the EPA. I remember the first time I was in El Paso Texas they had boots on the gas pump nozzles to capture the gasoline vapors that were vented from the tank as it was filled in order to reduce the haze in the local atmosphere that drifted over from across from the border.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #73 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

post #74 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

I solved the problem with a neat, little portable gas pump that I purchased on Ebay for about $10 several years ago. Still works like a charm. Those new spouts really do SUCK!

Gary
post #75 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Now the government enters it? Please give me a break . Every answer to everything can not be a political statement

Maybe if you spent the money listened to others recommendations and bought a quality bottom paint you wouldn't have the issue.
Actually I do buy and use a quality bottom paint, at least its as good a quality that can be had now days, but its certainly a pale imitation of what we used in former days, all due to a federal bureaucracy that ignores common sense and elevates stupidity to an entirely new heights. Which is exactly what this piece is about is it not? So now tell me, exactly how does your sanctimonious blather fit in?
flyingriki likes this.
post #76 of 90 Old 08-18-2017
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Excuse me?? Your post #53 said

"Maybe you could list a few examples of how the government doesn't intrude on our lives?"

My post (#54) as well as Chef's were in direct response to that, asking you keep your comments on topic (meaning gear and maintenance), rather than the intrusion of government into our lives which is what you are talking about in your post.
Both of your comments had nothing to do with gear review.

Read between the lines. I was telling you to stick your 'gear' where the sun doesn't shine.... like under a bimini top. Is sunbrella the best material?

Is that a gear topic?
post #77 of 90 Old 08-18-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

snokid-
Sceptre's web site seems to just say they area ll "polyethylene". They could just as easily say "plastic" or "wood" because it ain't all the same. I have seen other makers (no, I don't keep the info around) that specifically say they use one FDA-approved plastic for their water bottles, and another formula each for gasoline and diesel. Which has to drive up prices, versus buying one grade of pellet for all three molds.
So unless you've got something more specific from Spectre about what compositions they are using? (Heck, maybe they've just got one blend that is SO good, and so expensive, that it does do it all.)
post #78 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

When I bough the Scepter cans a few years ago ( directly from Scepter ) I was told by them that materials for gas and water cans are same.

difference in water and fuel cans - Expedition Portal
post #79 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

I got one of these battery operated transfer pumps and I love it. I don't spill at all. I've seen them at different places and some are not meant for use with fuel so you have to watch that.

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...SABEgJSKvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #80 of 90 Old 08-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
When I bough the Scepter cans a few years ago ( directly from Scepter ) I was told by them that materials for gas and water cans are same.

difference in water and fuel cans - Expedition Portal
Of course they are, other than the color.
Most people know this.

There are different types/grades made...'regular' and some are thicker. Do a search.

If you plan to store them on-deck, go the thick wall route and also use a cover. The very thin wall 'drinking water' camp containers (usually blue in color or clear)will not last very long in UVs...like less than a season in full UV.

Trim the plastic tails at the threads before screwing on the connections.

Just follow the money....

If you are prone to spill in some situation, just grab a rag to help. Basic cave man stuff....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in