SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   VARIPROP Grease? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/269090-variprop-grease.html)

BELLATRIX1965 11-01-2016 09:15 PM

VARIPROP Grease?

HI all:

Started doing routine feathering prop maintenance today, and RATS - the grease gun went empty. AB Marine sells Variprop/Variprofile "special" grease for $59 a tube. Isn't that special?! The empty cartridge in my gun was the same stuff (soft white grease made in Germany) - but I'm sure that I didn't pay $59 for it (I've had the prop for 9 years)!

Anybody have any thoughts / experience?

Fstbttms 11-02-2016 12:58 PM

Re: VARIPROP Grease?

BELLATRIX1965 11-03-2016 07:16 PM

Thanks Fast - I think that I'll give the Lubriplate a try. That brand has a pretty good reputation. Not only does AB Marine charge $59/tube for their "special" grease, then they want $22 to ship it! Unbelievable!:mad::mad::mad:

IStream 11-04-2016 01:04 PM

Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.

BELLATRIX1965 11-04-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IStream (Post 3720242)
Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.

stream: Point well taken but here in Maine I re-grease every fall. The new grease pushes out old grease AND water. Even seawater will freeze when it gets cold enough - and water trapped inside a prop hub . . . you get the picture!:wink

IStream 11-04-2016 09:48 PM

Oh, I'm right there with you. If the boat's out of the water I'm gonna grease the prop even if it was done a week ago. That said, I have let it go two years before and I was very pleased with how much grease was still in the mechanism.

iprone 05-31-2017 03:17 PM

Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!

BELLATRIX1965 06-01-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iprone (Post 3940961)
Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!

Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.

iprone 06-05-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 (Post 3941985)
Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.

Thank you very much for the reply (especially the specs on the grease nipple). I purchased all of the components mentioned, I'm just waiting for it all to arrive.